Derby Day!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mickali1

Re: Derby Day!

Post by mickali1 »

fozzie58 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:10 pm I do feel as well they are missing Toby King as well
On early season form King is worth 3 Keighrans.
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:15 pm
fozzie58 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:10 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:08 pm

The best team won Morley.
It did no point bellyaching about it.

I do feel as well they are missing Toby King as well
Unfortunately i dont think keighran is in kings league but lets remember king started off badly
We’ve just said the same thing about King starting slowly but I fear you’re right long term he isn’t in the same class Keighron but early doors yet I suppose
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Bad discipline lost us that game stop blaming the ref and look at the real reasons for losing
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

CherryB wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:03 pm I think Field lost his confidence after those two early fumbles and then late in the game didn’t compete and let them score. He is an outstanding attacking player, but his mistakes are too costly and he is becoming a luxury that we can’t afford.

Can’t say I’m impressed with our new players. Thompson is a good prop, but not worth the mega money we are paying him. Keghran is an outstanding goal kicker who offers not much else for Cats, so why sign him then not use his kicking? Leeming has yet to prove he is any better than Powell. Hopefully they can show improvements when they settle in, but so far, there is nothing to suggest they will.
I think that is a bit harsh regarding the new players. Thompson has arguably been our best and most consistent prop apart from when he was knocked out!

Leeming has been injured and I am not convinced he’s fit and as to Keighran it’s still early days.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Is French's head in the NRL, is there something we've not been told yet?, Cronulla ;) ;)
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Graham1 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:57 pm It was a great defensive effort today. But like Salford our attack lacks any structure. Bevan is a great individual player as his tries show but he doesn’t bring the best out of the rest of the backs. We struggle to create overlaps and our scrum plays have been poor considering the pace we have.

I would swop Keighran and Bevan around. He has played 6 for Catalan and would give Bevan a bit more space to work in. Somehow we need to get Field more ball and get him involved more in attack. The other issue we have is that our second rows don’t make any impact in attack,

If we continue to attack like we have in the last few games, we will struggle at Leigh. As no doubt our forward pack is going to be missing Dupree and Byrne.

This is where the coaches earn their money when we hit bumps in the road.
Fair comment on the attack being disjointed but I doubt you will ever see that switch and French isn’t a centre anyway.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

I agree I don’t think Peet would do the switch. But Bevan is never a 6 either. But needs to be on the field somewhere.

We are lacking a Brodie Croft. Be interesting to see how Moylan goes next week as they are both natural sixes.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Great defence initially but we played one up rugby and have away too many penalties.

Yellow card was fair enough but the red card killed us but is unfortunately the rules now and is going to ruin so many games.

Absolutely criminal to have unused substitutes and worrying that we look so clueless in attack given our starting 1, 6, 7, 9 and 13 all played.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Suzieb wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:30 pm Bad discipline lost us that game stop blaming the ref and look at the real reasons for losing
Sorry but that's half a story. Our discipline was appalling, but if the ref had applied the rules equally then we wouldn't have been the only team going down to 12.

Some poor calls really impacted us, you could argue that they shouldn't have mattered but the two key ones that really did matter was

1. Wardle didn't knock on the ball had been passed before he was hit. It should have been play on.

2. The field trip, now I know that we can't guarantee we would have got a try but it was a professional foul and should have atleast been 10 in the bin. One thing Kendall did do well today was shout at players offside to warn them.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

We played 30 mins with 12 men and Saints scored one more try than us. Can't blame the ref for either card.
Too many mistakes in the first half left us looking gassed at the end of the 1st half.

We lost but it's obvious where improvement is needed. Improve discipline and cut out high tackles.
Before the game Saints fans thought the pitch conditions would favour them against our pace. Looks like they might be right as well as the other self inflicted problems.

The team gave their all and that is all we can ask for!