Derby Day!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Derby Day!

Post by medlocke »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:16 pm Can't blame the ref for either card.
But the you can hear the video ref saying it was a yellow card, Kendal just decided to give a red to show he was the boss, no need what so ever, he influenced the game with his idiotic decision
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

mickali1 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:15 pm
fozzie58 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:10 pm I do feel as well they are missing Toby King as well
On early season form King is worth 3 Keighrans.
Maybe the club should be securing Kings signature for next season and beyond and do a deal with another club for Keighran
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Losing the arm wrestle in that second half after the sending off what harm is there giving Nsemba a go? A type of player who can break tackles and change the game…madness not to be used. Considering I’m not his biggest fan I thought Thompson played well, Bryne on the other hand would not make the squad if I was picking a side, he’s weak, Hills a much better option. Field I’m sure must be playing with an injury, he’s been so anonymous in most games, had. Shocker today. I’m gutted we’ve lost that game but we never looked like scoring. We have a lot of work to do over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully we can buck up because that’s not good enough for a derby match.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

w.thomas wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:48 pm Losing the arm wrestle in that second half after the sending off what harm is there giving Nsemba a go? A type of player who can break tackles and change the game…madness not to be used. Considering I’m not his biggest fan I thought Thompson played well, Bryne on the other hand would not make the squad if I was picking a side, he’s weak, Hills a much better option. Field I’m sure must be playing with an injury, he’s been so anonymous in most games, had. Shocker today. I’m gutted we’ve lost that game but we never looked like scoring. We have a lot of work to do over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully we can buck up because that’s not good enough for a derby match.
Playing Saints with a team of 16 players was certainly a daft thing to do. He didn’t use the bench very well at all as Mago and Leeming didn’t get may minutes either it seemed. So hopefully when he mentions we will learn from the game he’s also referring to his own game management. As to Byrne I thought he’s looked a lot better this season injury free than last but when Cooper and Harvard are fit I don’t see when he gets a game in normal circumstances.

However this season is not normal. I don’t want to debate the merits of the new rules regarding hits to the head again but that won’t be the last game where we end up a player down. It’s going to happen to all sides with some regularity and so one thing I think will help Wigan is having quite a bit of depth in the forwards as it’s going to be mostly forwards who suffer. The days of forwards going their entire career with one sending off as I believe Lockers did are gone. Byrne will figure quite a lot due to this I think.
doc

Post by doc »

Playing Saints with a team of 16 players was certainly a daft thing to do. He didn’t use the bench very well at all as Mago and Leeming didn’t get may minutes either it seemed. So hopefully when he mentions we will learn from the game he’s also referring to his own game management. As to Byrne I thought he’s looked a lot better this season injury free than last but when Cooper and Harvard are fit I don’t see when he gets a game in normal circumstances.Playing Saints with a team of 16 players was certainly a daft thing to do. He didn’t use the bench very well at all as Mago and Leeming didn’t get may minutes either it seemed. So hopefully when he mentions we will learn from the game he’s also referring to his own game management. As to Byrne I thought he’s looked a lot better this season injury free than last but when Cooper and Harvard are fit I don’t see when he gets a game in normal circumstances.
I'm guessing when Peet named the team he had a plan on who he was going to rotate and when. Unfortunately this would all have been blown out of the water due to the sin-binning, the HIA sub and the sending off.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

doc wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:18 pm
Playing Saints with a team of 16 players was certainly a daft thing to do. He didn’t use the bench very well at all as Mago and Leeming didn’t get may minutes either it seemed. So hopefully when he mentions we will learn from the game he’s also referring to his own game management. As to Byrne I thought he’s looked a lot better this season injury free than last but when Cooper and Harvard are fit I don’t see when he gets a game in normal circumstances.Playing Saints with a team of 16 players was certainly a daft thing to do. He didn’t use the bench very well at all as Mago and Leeming didn’t get may minutes either it seemed. So hopefully when he mentions we will learn from the game he’s also referring to his own game management. As to Byrne I thought he’s looked a lot better this season injury free than last but when Cooper and Harvard are fit I don’t see when he gets a game in normal circumstances.
I'm guessing when Peet named the team he had a plan on who he was going to rotate and when. Unfortunately this would all have been blown out of the water due to the sin-binning, the HIA sub and the sending off.
Peet obviously amended the plan but it looks to me like he is saying that he can’t trust Nsembe, Leeming and Mago in a tight game. When we were down to 12 men we should have been rotating our forwards rather than flogging Thompson and O’Neill who, by the way, were our best performers.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

You may have something there, Saints went in front with about 6 minutes left, so time was pressing.
I would have thought we could have thrown Mago back on for a slip pass to Field and/or Nsemba to punch through the defence - nothing to lose really.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

The ref was bad but didn't lose us the game.

Our discipline was shocking. Yes, some of the decisions looked harsh, but unfortunately that is the game in 2024. Learn to play within the rules or lose games.

Our attack looked blunt (again).

Our interchange strategy looked "odd" to say the least.

There are times when Peet looks like a rabbit in the headlights, but he has credit in the bank, and has delivered when it mattered, so you have to give him the benefit of the doubt this year.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I don't think I realised the on-field ref *could* overturn the VR; it's surely not the case in the NRL, where what The Bunker says goes, and I thought it was the same in SL as well.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:26 pm
Peet obviously amended the plan but it looks to me like he is saying that he can’t trust Nsembe, Leeming and Mago in a tight game. When we were down to 12 men we should have been rotating our forwards rather than flogging Thompson and O’Neill who, by the way, were our best performers.
If that is true and he can’t trust those three in a tight game we have a problem in that he is potentially going to use the bench minimally in a tight game which means he will flog the other players. Two of those three you would expect on the bench every week. You can’t have a bench you will only use if we are winning comfortably.

You are bound to want a good rotation strategy against Saints and the game is going to be a close on 99 times out of 100. I don’t think we need to over think it. He just had a bad game as coach.