Options v Leigh

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
NICKYKISS

Re: Options v Leigh

Post by NICKYKISS »

widdenoldboy wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:18 pm Just catching up with the weekend's other games and I'd say its a good time to play Leigh (and I'm sure they'd say the same about us).

They are really missing their injured lads and I think we'll be missing a few as well.

So. Havard is a long shot but may on the bench or is it just too soon?
Just don’t rush him is all you can ask. If he’s ready, great but if there is any sort of doubt, just leave him another week or however long he needs. I don’t think Hill and Chan coming in will be a bad thing. They’ll bring hunger and a freshness.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

NICKYKISS wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:54 pm Peet said Havard was back on the field training with the team in the build up to Sheffield, so I don’t think he’ll be long but presuming he’s not ready for Thursday and Byrne/Dupree get banned, we still have some good options. I’d probably go along the lines of-

Field
Miski Keighran Wardle Marshall
French Smith
Thompson O’Neill Hill
Isa Farrell Ellis

Subs
Mago
Chan
Nsemba
Leeming
When you look at the squads we've put out so far this year and the players most involved in pre-season I think this is really the only 17 that we can select, unless Havard is close enough to fitness, but I really wouldn't be risking him.

I think the biggest decision is finding the right balance and getting interchanges right. If we end up with all 4 bench players on the field at the same time we're defensively much weaker, but I think we also don't want to overwork Thompson and Ellis so early in the season and they put in a big shift against Saints.
doc

Post by doc »

Ellis to prop, Chan to LF and Hill on the bench.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

doc wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:23 am Ellis to prop, Chan to LF and Hill on the bench.
Yes i agree we dont need to be to dependant on ellis as a 13 as he only plays as a prop anyway.We are the weakest we have been for years in the backrow with injuries and age.I hit on this pre season as faz and isa are past there best to be honest.Pity we couldnt have kept mcdonald or the lad at wire.Really looking forward to what walters can offer and the improvement of nsemba.Chan could be our little gem at loose.Pity that miski cant play second row as his returns/ drives are great.For me the biggest miss is King as his yardage skill and offloads added so much extra.Im expecting much more from keighran in the coming weeks
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

Looking forward to both Havard and Walters coming in when they are fit , both will really strengthen the 17 in different ways.

Walters should bring a completely new dimension to our attack and I hope Field has been practicing following him around everywhere he goes he could cause havoc running off his shoulder.

It's been interesting to see how Field has been used, and while he's much more of a team player and creates a huge amount of space for others and assists, compare to the first season proper when we was looking for offloads all the time and finishing off tries. I think it's really intelligent coaching and getting far more out of him than pure speed, but I hope he finds a way to do more of the finishing because the top players are always those who make sure they get their hands on the ball as much as possible.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

NICKYKISS wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:54 pm Peet said Havard was back on the field training with the team in the build up to Sheffield, so I don’t think he’ll be long but presuming he’s not ready for Thursday and Byrne/Dupree get banned, we still have some good options. I’d probably go along the lines of-

Field
French Smith
Thompson O’Neill Hill
Isa Farrell Ellis

Subs
Mago
Chan
Nsemba
Leeming
Ellis may play prop with O’Neill covering loose forward in his second spell. Leeming needs to step up, I know he has been injured but he has been below par so far this season.
WIGIAN13

Post by WIGIAN13 »

Whats the latest on Eseh ?
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:04 pm

Field
French Smith
Thompson O’Neill Hill
Isa Farrell Ellis

Subs
Mago
Chan
Nsemba
Leeming
Ellis may play prop with O’Neill covering loose forward in his second spell. Leeming needs to step up, I know he has been injured but he has been below par so far this season.
Leeming has been very disappointing so far does make you wonder if he’s carrying an injury still why Ellis would play prop is a little baffling leave Oniell where he is he’s been one of the bright sparks of the season so far
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Firestarter wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:46 am
doc wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:23 am Ellis to prop, Chan to LF and Hill on the bench.
Yes i agree we dont need to be to dependant on ellis as a 13 as he only plays as a prop anyway.We are the weakest we have been for years in the backrow with injuries and age.I hit on this pre season as faz and isa are past there best to be honest.Pity we couldnt have kept mcdonald or the lad at wire.Really looking forward to what walters can offer and the improvement of nsemba.Chan could be our little gem at loose.Pity that miski cant play second row as his returns/ drives are great.For me the biggest miss is King as his yardage skill and offloads added so much extra.Im expecting much more from keighran in the coming weeks
You know, FS, I think you're right about our back row. Faz is a legend, and I've always been, and still am, a fan of Big Willie. But, as a unit, it's the one area of the team that we're probably weaker in. Losing Lockers, who was irreplaceable, and age creeping up on Willie and Faz is certainly something that needs attention over the coming few months.

Like others have said, I'm also looking forward to seeing what Walters brings to party.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

WIGIAN13 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:37 pm Whats the latest on Eseh ?
Start of May.

Havards had 6 months since the GF surely he’s sound now