Charting the rise of Wigan Warriors hooker Brad O’Neill who is a tackling machine

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Charting the rise of Wigan Warriors hooker Brad O’Neill who is a tackling machine

Post by josie andrews »

Super League champion, Challenge Cup winner, World Club Challenge winner.. Brad O’Neill probably couldn’t have dreamt for a better start to his career.

The 21-year-old’s rise to the top hasn’t gone unnoticed, with the hooker now a key member of Matt Peet’s forward pack.

O’Neill has played in all six of Wigan‘s games so far in 2024, including a mammoth stint in their World Club Challenge victory over Penrith Panthers.

The Leigh-born hooker prides his game on his defence, and that was evident on Good Friday, making 54 tackles in 63 minutes in their 12-4 defeat to St Helens in what was Wigan’s first loss since last July.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/ch ... ng-machine
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
mickali1

Re: Charting the rise of Wigan Warriors hooker Brad O’Neill who is a tackling machine

Post by mickali1 »

The lad has it all.
He's okay, but I do like the look of that lad at Warrington. Powell I think he's called, he looks the real deal. :lol:
fozzie58

Re: Charting the rise of Wigan Warriors hooker Brad O’Neill who is a tackling machine

Post by fozzie58 »

Like it or not Oneill learnt an awful lot from Powell defensively,on Friday when he was defending you could see what he’s learnt in defence the big differences of course is his attacking game it’s getting better each game to the point you wonder if Leeming was such a good buy as the lad can stay out all game long if needs be.
Last edited by fozzie58 on Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

He did look like he was about to expolde on Friday though and he started to get a bit niggly at the PTB, which I feel we were lucky he didnt conceed a number of penalties, but he does look the real deal so far
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

He was excellent friday and ide be tempted play him 13 tomorrow and have leeming at 9.Think it gives us more options and im sure he will be as good in the backrow as newton used to be when switched
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

fozzie58 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:18 pm Like it or not Oneill learnt an awful lot from Powell defensively,on Friday when he was defending you could see what he’s learnt in defence the big differences of course is his attacking game it’s getting better each game to the point you wonder if Leeming was such a good buy as the lad can stay out all game long if needs be.
How do you know this?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:26 am He was excellent friday and ide be tempted play him 13 tomorrow and have leeming at 9.Think it gives us more options and im sure he will be as good in the backrow as newton used to be when switched
Did this used to happen?

I only started watching in Wigan from 1998 so it may have proceeded that or have completely slipped my memory.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:56 pm
Firestarter wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:26 am He was excellent friday and ide be tempted play him 13 tomorrow and have leeming at 9.Think it gives us more options and im sure he will be as good in the backrow as newton used to be when switched
Did this used to happen?

I only started watching in Wigan from 1998 so it may have proceeded that or have completely slipped my memory.
On occasion yes.He was very good in the backrow also and was built like oneill.Not sure if brad has played in backrow but looks like he could.It will either be him or chan i think with oneill being my safer ber.We will see
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Leeming needs to earn his place not be given it.