Eddie Hearn on Rugby league

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wigan_forever1985

Eddie Hearn on Rugby league

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Saying what i and others have been saying for years

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/theres-n ... eam-89502/
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Re: Eddie Hearn on Rugby league

Post by josie andrews »

A lot of us have said the same thing. Mainly, IMO, because of the RFL not letting players promote things away from the game!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

I disagree with his theory. Theres loads of sports that get 10 times the amount of coverage than rl.
Big names only stand out in a small minority of sports mainly football. Cricket is a perfect example has probably along with football most coverage on sports channels after half a dozen names a lot would struggle for players names you could probably throw union into that. For my money it's down to bad management of a northern based game.
Wigan_forever1985

I’ve never watched cricket but I could name quite a few cricketers. Cricket in particular survives on the international aspect

You need people to sell a sport to neutrals once your fan base is up you can then rely more of the product but a lot of people follow sports for the people and the stories

I would bet my life on viewing figures on athletics being down since bolt left for example
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Surely he should know sinfield from his charity work...

I agree in principle though Tomkins started to breakdown barriers but then went to the NRL
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:21 pm Surely he should know sinfield from his charity work...

I agree in principle though Tomkins started to breakdown barriers but then went to the NRL
I think the problem is sinfield has already stopped playing and is more linked with union now as he is a coach there for people new to his story
Stanfax

Post by Stanfax »

A lot of us have said the same thing. Mainly, IMO, because of the RFL not letting players promote things away from the game!

Spot on Josie! Remember when Paul Sculthorpe was face of Gillette? No doubt he made a few bob for himself, but for a leading player to be linked to a top brand was a big boost to the sport.