How can we improve for next year?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
the pieman

Re: How can we improve for next year?

Post by the pieman »

we can assume that Isa and Cooper will both retire at the end of this season, so that 2 1st spots up for grabs with Farrell likely end of 2025 (assuming they all retire when current contracts are up)

ideally Walters or Nsemba will seal the 2nd row spot, and that gives us a different dynamic immediately at both can run and offload, whereas Isa is a very much defensive 2nd row for us. I think one of the big differences between us and Saints on GF was the back row, as it felt like they made far more metres with Sironen, Whitely and Knowles v Farrell, Isa and Ellis and were more effective (yes i also get they didnt score until we were down to 12 at the end), and it isnt a criticism just an observation of where we could play differently next season (well this one too if one of them holds their hands up and keeps Isa or Farrell out the side)

Failing the above, we have gone from an abundance of 2nd row with a queue, looking like we are short there, so recruiting a high quality back row in their prime would be the key recruitment if we need to
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:02 pm Depends how long Willie and Faz last. I can see this season being Isa's last, and maybe one more year for Liam.

Then there is the question of how Walters and Nsemba perform. Both look good, but still unproved to a certain extent.

As has been said, Ellis is wearing 13 and playing the third prop role. We've been spoiled with having Lockers, but let Partington and Shorrocks go. Maybe that signals Peet's preference for a 13, or maybe just necessity with the squad he has and the players available. I wouldn't be surprised to see a signing at loose forward in the close season.
Nicholson was seen as the next loose forward. I think both Faz and Willie will go around again next season and consequently I see no reason to recruit in the back row.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I said on RLFans that we could do with a Curtis Sironen-type player. I've long thought that, and still do.
Charriots Offiah

the pieman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:07 am we can assume that Isa and Cooper will both retire at the end of this season, so that 2 1st spots up for grabs with Farrell likely end of 2025 (assuming they all retire when current contracts are up)

ideally Walters or Nsemba will seal the 2nd row spot, and that gives us a different dynamic immediately at both can run and offload, whereas Isa is a very much defensive 2nd row for us. I think one of the big differences between us and Saints on GF was the back row, as it felt like they made far more metres with Sironen, Whitely and Knowles v Farrell, Isa and Ellis and were more effective (yes i also get they didnt score until we were down to 12 at the end), and it isnt a criticism just an observation of where we could play differently next season (well this one too if one of them holds their hands up and keeps Isa or Farrell out the side)

Failing the above, we have gone from an abundance of 2nd row with a queue, looking like we are short there, so recruiting a high quality back row in their prime would be the key recruitment if we need to
I don't think we can assume that Cooper and Isa will retire, it depends on how they perform this season and how their bodies are holding up. However, there has got to be a transition to Walters and Nsembe as they will give us a greater attacking threat. French needs a 'go to man' who can break the line because, at the moment, opposing teams are not worried about Isa's running threat and consequently it restricts Bevan's impact on the game. Regarding Good Friday, Sironen and Whitely made less yards than Isa and Faz however, Knowles outperformed Ellis. Just one other point, Mago is off contract at the end of the season, it will be interesting to see what happens there.
Charriots Offiah

moto748 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:07 pm I said on RLFans that we could do with a Curtis Sironen-type player. I've long thought that, and still do.
Why? Walters and Nsembe have more to offer.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I think theres a good chance faz might go again but i very much doubt we will keep willie either way.We did have our eye on odonnell off leigh ,who would be a decent recruit
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Angus Crichton?
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:22 pm
the pieman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:07 am we can assume that Isa and Cooper will both retire at the end of this season, so that 2 1st spots up for grabs with Farrell likely end of 2025 (assuming they all retire when current contracts are up)

I don't think we can assume that Cooper and Isa will retire, it depends on how they perform this season and how their bodies are holding up. However, there has got to be a transition to Walters and Nsembe as they will give us a greater attacking threat. French needs a 'go to man' who can break the line because, at the moment, opposing teams are not worried about Isa's running threat and consequently it restricts Bevan's impact on the game. Regarding Good Friday, Sironen and Whitely made less yards than Isa and Faz however, Knowles outperformed Ellis. Just one other point, Mago is off contract at the end of the season, it will be interesting to see what happens there.
i agree to an extent, but we have had instances recently where players have gone on too long, so we need to be ruthless. I like Isa, and he's been a great servant to the club, but his impact in games is lessening year on year, and Cooper has suffered a season ending injury last year and niggle this year, so we need to remove sentiment from the decisions. We have the best set of props we've had in years and 2 young 2nd row ready to stake a claim (yes i know they need to do it), so naturally the time would be right, and i think we both agree in a purely attacking sense both Walters and Nsemba offer something we dont currently have in the 2nd row in terms of size, pace and ability to offload (French / Field)

re Mago, i think we have a year in our favour, so if he performs i dont see any reason why we wouldnt extend as he offers something a little different prop wise, so if used correctly with impact could really keep us with a different attacking dimension
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:25 pm
moto748 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:07 pm I said on RLFans that we could do with a Curtis Sironen-type player. I've long thought that, and still do.
Why? Walters and Nsembe have more to offer.
Not sure about that, but we need more than two, anyway.
Charriots Offiah

the pieman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:56 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:22 pm

i agree to an extent, but we have had instances recently where players have gone on too long, so we need to be ruthless. I like Isa, and he's been a great servant to the club, but his impact in games is lessening year on year, and Cooper has suffered a season ending injury last year and niggle this year, so we need to remove sentiment from the decisions. We have the best set of props we've had in years and 2 young 2nd row ready to stake a claim (yes i know they need to do it), so naturally the time would be right, and i think we both agree in a purely attacking sense both Walters and Nsemba offer something we dont currently have in the 2nd row in terms of size, pace and ability to offload (French / Field)

re Mago, i think we have a year in our favour, so if he performs i dont see any reason why we wouldnt extend as he offers something a little different prop wise, so if used correctly with impact could really keep us with a different attacking dimension
I fully agree about being ruthless, decisions need to be made as to what is right for the club. We did it in our pomp to world class stars e.g. Hanley and Gregory so why not. Yes in full agreement about Sam and Junior, we need them to open up tight defences such as Saints.

Whatever happens we are in a better place than we have been for some time.