4 More Years of Sir Bevan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Bevan

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:11 pm Beltin news as predicted by sam tomkins
And Josie if you look back on other threads.
josie andrews

Re: 4 More Years of Sir Bevan

Post by josie andrews »

Bevan French snubs NRL return with four-year Wigan deal

Bevan French has turned his back on the chance to return to the NRL, with Wigan's much-wanted Australian star signing a fresh deal with the world club champions.

The 28-year-old former Parramatta flyer has become the best player in the European game, with his brilliance evidenced most recently with his man-of-the-match performance for the Warriors against Penrith in the World Club Challenge.

That display, which featured a spectacular second-half score which was ruled out for a narrow offside, again put French's excellence in the spotlight, with a number of NRL clubs already having been keen to bring back Tingha's Indigenous star to Australia.

But Wigan announced on Wednesday that stand-off French had penned a new four -year deal with the club which will take him though to the end of 2028.

The British giants have been left delighted, believing it may well mean French stays with the club for the rest of his career.

Bevan joined the Warriors halfway through the 2019 season from Parramatta Eels and he's been a hit ever since with fans of Britain's most famous club, illuminating the Super League with his scintillating performances which last year won him the Man of Steel award as its best player.

But having often said he would one day want to return to Australia to try his luck at conquering the NRL, it was somewhat of a surprise that he should sign a deal that will take him through to his early thirties in the Super League.

"Over my past couple of contracts, I've become close (to returning to Australia) with negotiations with other clubs back in the NRL," French told Sky Sports.

"But I think when we spoke about extending this time, I really gave Wigan the option to see if we can come to an agreement before I even look elsewhere.

"I've built a lot of good relationships on and off the field and just evolved each year. I never feel like I'm stuck in the same place, I keep feeling like I'm improving every time I go out each week."

French, who broke the record for the most tries scored - seven - in a Super League fixture in 2022, inspired them to a grand final triumph last year before toppling Penrith in February.

"It wasn't a hard decision to make, I've built up lots of good relationships here, on and off the field," he said.

Wigan officials were delighted at their coup, with chief executive Kris Radlinski saying: "We have worked patiently with Bevan to get a deal that pretty much secures the rest of his career at Wigan.

"We get the privilege of watching one of the most talented players of his generation entertain us for four more years."

Coach Matt Peet added: "He is a leader here both on and off the field and is hungry to improve.

"Bevan is a special player and a special person - it is an honour to coach him."

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-leag ... c-14187724
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Last edited by Charriots Offiah on Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Firestarter

Re: Bevan

Post by Firestarter »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:39 pm
Firestarter wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:11 pm Beltin news as predicted by sam tomkins
And Josie if you look back on other threads.
Ahhh yes how could i forget our josie
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:36 pm
thegimble wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:57 pm
medlocke wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:22 pm
Add Patrick Ah Van to that list
How could I forget.
100 lines for you my lad.
Phew got off light for that massive mistake.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Bevan French reveals the moment he knew he didn’t need to leave Wigan Warriors & his future goals

BEVAN FRENCH says World Club Challenge Cup glory helped convince him he didn’t need to return to the NRL to prove himself.

The 28-year-old last week signed a new four-year contract which will keep him at Wigan until the end of 2028.

French, who was set to be off-contract at the end of this year until re-committing, admitted there was interest from the NRL – inevitably so considering he is the reigning Man of Steel and has won five trophies with the Warriors.

The Aussie was initially a sensation when he broke through at Parramatta, scoring 19 tries in his debut NRL season in 2016 and a further nine in an injury-hit second campaign.

But he struggled to earn a place in the side thereafter and was playing for an Eels feeder club, Wentworthville Magpies, in the NSW Cup when Wigan came calling in mid-2019.

French admits to having had a nagging desire to return home, but says his performance in helping Wigan beat Penrith in February’s World Club Challenge put that to bed.

“I always said I wanted to test myself. I thought I had unfinished business,” said French.

“I put my best foot forward there and had a good game. That was what I set out to do, to see if I could prove myself and I think I did. That closed the chapter on that.

“It’s a weird one. It’s not like I thought about that leading up to the game or anything, it was just after it.

“It’s not something that clicked in my head, but a lot of friends and family said ‘you proved yourself, you could do it’. It was probably my friends and family who let me know that.”

French has won every available trophy with Wigan, claiming a Challenge Cup (2022) and Super League (2023) title plus two League Leaders’ Shields (2020 and 2023) alongside world glory earlier this year.

On an individual level, he won the Man of Steel award last season for his performances, as well as earning a third Dream Team selection of a Super League spell which is closing in on five years.

But that didn’t mean French had nothing left to achieve with Wigan, with two simple future goals: “Trying to win silverware, and building great relationships.”

He added: “It’s just racking those up, and building great relationships with everyone in the team and the staff. Everyone is pretty tight around the club, whether it’s players or staff.”

French has particular praise for coach Matt Peet who, along with assistants Sean O’Loughlin and Thomas Leuluai, recently signed a new seven-year contract with Wigan.

It’s a clear future focus from the Warriors, who have the rest of their spine tied down long-term (Jai Field, Harry Smith and Brad O’Neill are all contracted until 2027).

French credits Peet with helping him grow as a person as much as in Rugby League, with a people-first approach he had never seen before.

“I came through the Parra system and it’s hard and tough. It’s always been hard work, hard work,” he said.

“Having a coach with this side, it just frees you up a little. You’re able to express yourself. I haven’t had a coach like Matty before.

“He’s very diverse in his coaching methods and his style; he’s more interested in your personal growth.

“I think he understands the importance it has on your performance on the field. When things aren’t really going how you want away from the field, that certainly has an effect on how you play.

“I’ve changed bad habits as a person, and I think that’s just being around these people, the quality of people they are.

“Rugby League is our job, it’s our profession, it’s what we should put first, but I think being the best player you can be is surrounding yourself with a good bunch of people and becoming a good person away from the sport.

“I’ve enjoyed my growth as a person here more than anything. I’ve always said that you’re just who you are when you’re surrounded by a great bunch of blokes.”

https://www.totalrl.com/bevan-french-re ... ure-goals/
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Yes good news but for me he has to return to pre season training along with the UK based players. He has looked overweight in his first few appearances for the last two seasons.
Enough of this namby pamby pandering to an employee who has a job which pays him his salary.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

ian.birchall wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:46 am Yes good news but for me he has to return to pre season training along with the UK based players. He has looked overweight in his first few appearances for the last two seasons.
Enough of this namby pamby pandering to an employee who has a job which pays him his salary.
Who will then decide it's not worth it anymore, being away from family when he could get a gig in Aus and start pre-season with everyone else and go home to his family each day.
Yes he has looked a bit out of shape when he does come back but if the club address it correctly for the next four years there is no reason he can't come back in better shape.
Owd Mon

Post by Owd Mon »

Maybe he has bulked up a bit because he now plays in the middle of the pitch and has to deal with more traffic that comes his way.