Peet previews Cup Quarter-Final

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Peet previews Cup Quarter-Final

Post by josie andrews »

* Matt Peet spoke to the press head of Sunday’s Betfred Challenge Cup Quarter-Final at Castleford Tigers.

* Peet: “The opportunity to make some more memories for this group and for our supporters is a huge incentive.”

* Castleford Tigers v Wigan Warriors, Sunday 14th April, 3pm KO.

MATT PEET SPOKE TO THE PRESS AHEAD OF WIGAN WARRIORS’ BETFRED CHALLENGE CUP QUARTER-FINAL TIE AGAINST CASTLEFORD TIGERS.

The Warriors will be looking to continue their Challenge Cup run at The Mend-A-Hose Jungle after defeating Sheffield Eagles in the Round of 16. Bevan French scored a hat-trick amongst 44 points at the DW Stadium for the Cherry and Whites, who also come into this weekend’s tie off the back of a 40-12 win away at Leigh Leopards in the Betfred Super League.

Speaking on the importance of the Challenge Cup competition to the Club, Peet said: “I think our whole history revolves around this competition, to be honest. Most of our best memories as a Club and then each individual around it, I think most of us look back to trips to Wembley or more recently Tottenham.

“The opportunity to make some more memories for this group and for our supporters is a huge incentive.”

Having won the Challenge Cup Final at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in 2022, the Warriors haven’t played at Wembley since 2017. Peet sees a potential trip to the ground as a big motive for the team: “It’s something we talk about as it’s important the players know this isn’t just a regular game – they’re two games away from a huge occasion and it’s an opportunity we’re determined to take.”

A visit to The Mend-A-Hose Jungle stands between the Warriors and the Semi-Finals, with the Tigers off the back of an impressive 36-24 win at home to Salford Red Devils last time out. It was a first Super League victory of the season for Craig Lingard’s side, who dispatched Batley Bulldogs in the prior cup round to reach the last eight.

Peet acknowledged the trip to Castleford is always a difficult one, regardless of the opposition’s form going into the game: “Everyone knows Castleford away is one of those grounds and one of those fixtures that has the potential to upset any team, and that’s the same whether they’re flying high or having a difficult period – it’s never straight forward.

“The fact is their last performance was a strong one, a win, and it’s knock-out for them as well. We’ve got to concentrate, we’ve got to block out some of the noise coming out of there – I understand it, but from our perspective we can’t let it affect our preparation.”

On Castleford’s victory over Salford, Peet added: “Their left edge got a lot of joy and was very direct. They played some really good rugby league and got attacking shapes. I think with their two halfbacks in (Jacob) Miller and (Danny) Richardson they’re very talented – both take the line on and have a kicking game. I think that’s where the threat comes – through (Joe) Westerman and those outstanding halves.”

Peet added: “They’ve got some big athletic outside backs as well, so we’ll be expecting to be challenged. Whenever you go to Castleford you end up defending quite a bit of attacking shape because of the nature of the pitch, so we’re going to have to be at our best to turn them away.”

The trip to the Jungle will be the second in as many months for the Warriors, who travelled to Castleford for the season opener. Peet and his side came away with a 32-4 victory on a wet and windy night, but he expects a different challenge this time around: “I think it’s a game in its own right,” he said.

“That was Round 1 in really poor conditions and both teams now have probably seen glimpses of what they’re capable of, so I think it’s more important the momentum that both teams have built since then. I don’t think that will have a big effect on this fixture – I think it will be two teams desperate to win.”

Tickets for Sunday’s game remain available online HERE. The only place you can watch the game is at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle.

Matt Peet is sponsored by Warriors Lotto Agents.

By Harvey Orgill.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/04/ ... ter-final/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Peet previews Cup Quarter-Final

Post by josie andrews »

Matt Peet relishing opportunity to create more Challenge Cup memories as England prop returns to contention

Matt Peet is relishing the opportunity to create more special Challenge Cup memories ahead of the club's trip to the Mend-A-Hose Jungle.

The 20-time cup winners are just two games away from Wembley, but must first face Castleford Tigers in the quarter-finals with their second trip of the season - having opened their Super League campaign with a victory in wet conditions.

“I think most of us look back to trips to Wembley – or more recently Tottenham – semi-final wins, some heartbreaking losses along the way but I think they’re always memorable occasions.

“The opportunity to create more memories for this group and for our supporters is a huge incentive."

Tigers boss Craig Lingard has revealed that he is without up to 15 first-team players due to injuries, including key men such as Paul McShane and Liam Watts, while outside-back Josh Simm is likely to miss the rest of the season after dislocating his shoulder in their recent win over Salford.

However, Peet insists nothing but the best will still be required to cement Wigan's spot in the hat for the semi-finals.

He continued: “Everyone knows Castleford away is one of those grounds and fixtures that has the potential to upset any team, and that’s the same whether they’re flying high or they’re having a difficult period.

“It’s never straight forward, and the fact is that their last performance was a strong one and a win.

“We’ve got to block out some of the noises coming out of there, I understand it, but from our perspective, it can’t affect our preparation.”

The Warriors meanwhile welcome back Tyler Dupree after the prop missed the recent triumph over Leigh Leopards through suspension.

“He brings a lot for us,” Peet said of the England international.

“I think Tyler has been playing well so far this season, he’s a really strong ball carrier, buys into what we’re about and is a really popular member of the group.

“I think it’s been well documented that our front-rowers have been a real strength at the moment and Tyler has played a big part of that.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... on-4588089
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Nsemba: Special competition

* Junior Nsemba spoke to the press ahead of Sunday’s Betfred Challenge Cup Quarter-Final tie at Castleford Tigers.

* Nsemba: “Any competition we play in is special because we’re representing the Club’s name so we’re not trying to take anything for granted in what we do.”

* Watch full match previews with Matt Peet and Junior Nsemba on Wigan TV HERE.

WIGAN WARRIORS FORWARD JUNIOR NSEMBA SPOKE TO THE PRESS AHEAD OF SUNDAY’S BETFRED CHALLENGE CUP QUARTER-FINAL AT CASTLEFORD TIGERS.

Nsemba comes into the tie off the back of scoring his first Betfred Super League try for the Warriors, after he crossed the line in Wigan’s 40-12 away win over Leigh Leopards last time out.

The 19-year-old claimed maximum Man of Steel points from his Player of the Match performance, and reflecting on a busy week ahead of the trip to Castleford, Nsemba said: “It’s all been too much for me to handle to be honest, I’m a bit overwhelmed. I’m very happy with the achievement and what I’ve done, and hopefully I can keep improving going into the future.”

Speaking through the post-match reaction, Nsemba said: “I spoke to my Dad a lot – I phoned him straight after the game. My Mum then rang and she was buzzing. I was chatting to a couple of friends and family too and they were happy for me – everyone said I’m doing them proud so hopefully I can continue that.”

Nsemba started for the Warriors in their Sixth Round win over Sheffield Eagles at the DW Stadium, and looking ahead to the Quarter-Final clash against Castleford, the forward said: “I haven’t played at Castleford yet but I know it’s a tough place to go. If we stick to our game plan then I think we should be alright.”

Sharing his pride on playing for the Warriors, Nsemba said: “It means a lot because I used to live around the corner from the stadium – it’s a blessing to play for my hometown club.

“Any competition we play in is special because we’re representing the Club’s name so we’re not trying to take anything for granted in what we do.”

Nsemba also shared the value of playing alongside experienced second rowers Liam Farrell and Willie Isa, as well as the benefits of learning from the coaches: “I’ve learnt a lot already from leaders like Willie (Isa) and Faz (Liam Farrell), and I’m still trying to improve my game.

“They’re still teaching me new things each day, and if I’m not sure on what to do in a certain situations then I know I can talk to them. They’re always welcoming and willing to help because they’ve been through it as well.

“Being in the First Team is a blessing and I’m always looking to learn from our coaches.”

Watch full match previews with head coach Matt Peet and Junior Nsemba now on Wigan TV HERE.

Junior Nsemba is sponsored by Slobbery Chops

By Harvey Orgill.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/04/ ... mpetition/
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am not sure this is the right place to comment, but any insight into when we might see Havard and Walters again?
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:52 pm I am not sure this is the right place to comment, but any insight into when we might see Havard and Walters again?
Jenna Brooks said on sky last week that Walters had told her he’d be back for HKR away in a couple of weeks.

Havard was due back next week but Peet said some test results on his hamstring weren’t as good as hoped, so it’s been pushed back (no timeframe was put on it). Mike Cooper is still on track for that game.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Thanks, mate. I wonder whether Havard’s injury issues may lead to his extending his contract with us, or whether we are simply getting him fit for some NRL club.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Can we keep on topic now please?