Warrington v Saints

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
moto748

Re: Warrington v Saints

Post by moto748 »

I think Wire were good, yes. They were sharper all over the pitch, and, frankly, looked better coached.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

moto748 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:22 pm I watched the recording and was glad to see a proper game of rugby, after watching the Cas capitulation. Saints out-enthused all over the park, discipline poor, and as for Williams v Lomax, it wasn't even a contest, was it? The chickens are coming home to roost for Wellens and his ageing squad. I can't imagine the howls on RedVee.
Mate you are going to see another training session on Friday.
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:45 pm
moto748 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:22 pm I watched the recording and was glad to see a proper game of rugby, after watching the Cas capitulation. Saints out-enthused all over the park, discipline poor, and as for Williams v Lomax, it wasn't even a contest, was it? The chickens are coming home to roost for Wellens and his ageing squad. I can't imagine the howls on RedVee.
Mate you are going to see another training session on Friday.
Agreed,cant see anything but another high score one side a thon come Friday.

As for Saints id agree I think the break up of that side is starting they are trying to keep it together or at least manage the decline by giving Walmsley another couple of years but I think the writing is on the wall for them.
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Saints70 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:06 pm I think what a lot of us feared is coming to fruition, we are an ageing team with no pace and no threat from deep, i honestly cant remember the last time one of our backs went the lenth of the field.

Our recent signings have been baffling to say the least, mbye offers very little, whitley is too similar to bachelor and blake was just a panic signing as we had a quota spot open and it seemed anyome would do just to fill it.

I was against wellens appointment from the start , it never works at saints appointing ex players as a coach at saints for some reason, he is going down the Cunningham route of 5 drives and a kick or that pathetic inside ball that everyone knows.

FWIW I expect wigan to clean up this year and have 3 or 4 years of success, we need a reset, the bright news is that in harry robertson, george whitby, will roberts, junior sambou and vaughn we have an outstanding crop of kids coming through but it will take time.

On a side note , despite our success in superleague, 1 challenge cup in 16 years is a shocking return for a club like saints.
I think the talking has got to stop and some of those youngsters need to be bloodied. It is unlikely that they will all make it but there is only one way of finding out.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

ST HELENS“Shambolic” – St Helens fans claim pressure should be mounting on Paul Wellens

Warrington Wolves mounted a stunning second-half performance to knock St Helens out of the Challenge Cup as they scored 24 unanswered points to earn victory and it’s left fans of the Red Vee outraged.

It marked the second successive loss for St Helens after their defeat in Perpignan last week, coincidentally Catalans being the only team to have beaten Warrington so far this season too.

The game looked set to go down to the wire with the side only separated at halftime by George Williams drop goal which handed Wire a 7-6 lead

Jon Bennison’s early second-half penalty put the home side in front but an all-out assault came from Warrington that saw Matty Ashton, Connor Wrench, James Harrison and George Williams all score to help secure Sam Burgess’ side a spot in the semi-finals with a 31-8 win.

It was an incredibly deserved win with Man of the Match honours going to George Williams who made an incredible try-saving tackle on Lewis Dodd, the second time the St Helens’ half has been prevented from scoring in back-to-back weeks.

It also marked another game where St Helens failed to register 10 points or more and fans are now asking serious questions about the club’s attack, just as they did last week.

The intensity in defence was clear to see in the first half for St Helens who repelled several Warrington attacks but a lack of cutting edge going forward was something that hindered the side.

That was a common belief by fans who have taken to social media to voice concerns, express anger and even in some instances, ask questions about Paul Wellens’ job security.

A flurry of posts centred on the team’s attack with one fan labelling it as “a mess”, whilst others used more choice words to describe the team’s ability with ball in hand.

The first fan stated: “Wire deserve this. Far better than us today. Wellens is clueless, he’s known the attack is a mess since he took the job. He’s done absolutely nothing about it. Just repeats the same thing over and over.”

Pressure on Wellens was something others claimed with one incredible statistic backing up the fact that St Helens need to make it to Old Trafford this season.

“Unfortunately, that ramps up pressure on Wellens now,” posted one fan before revealing their impressive statistic.

Only 1 Saints coach in the SL era has failed to reach a final in their first 2 seasons. Demanding to win trophies is unrealistic but reaching finals, at St Helens, is a realistic expectation. Lack of attack, again.”

Another argued that his job “should be hanging by a thread”, whilst there were calls for a new attacking coach to be hired immediately.

Luckily for St Helens, they might be able to find some confidence and rhythm in their attack given that they host Hull FC in their next game with the Black and Whites having shipped 36 tries in their last four.

Failure to reach 10 points once again in that game will surely lead to more angry fan reactions

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/shamboli ... ens-90287/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Saints played us GF in a high intensity game and won it, against 12 men, in the last 10 mins.
They followed that up by having to go to Perpignan and lost by 6.
After that they had a Cup Semi against a massively improving Warrington. They were competitive for 60 mins then were over run by a rampant Wolves outfit.
Saints schedule has been gruelling.
They are an ageing squad with less pace it seems each game.
However, I wouldn't write them off quite yet!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:21 am Saints played us GF in a high intensity game and won it, against 12 men, in the last 10 mins.
After that they had a Cup Semi against a massively improving Warrington. They were competitive for 60 mins then were over run by a rampant Wolves outfit.
You sound like Eddie Hemmings 😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Post by jobo »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:18 am
Wiganer Ted wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:21 am Saints played us GF in a high intensity game and won it, against 12 men, in the last 10 mins.
You sound like Eddie Hemmings 😂
Never write off the saints🤮🤮
Shevvylad

Post by Shevvylad »

You can't exactly write Saints off, but they were poor yesterday. I can't remember a time when they had so many 'ordinary' players in their squad. Not poor players, just not up to what I think Saints standard always has been.
As for Wire, they were the better side and look well coached, but the hysterical chatter about Williams by the commentators was embarrassing.
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

Shevvylad wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:53 am You can't exactly write Saints off, but they were poor yesterday. I can't remember a time when they had so many 'ordinary' players in their squad. Not poor players, just not up to what I think Saints standard always has been.
As for Wire, they were the better side and look well coached, but the hysterical chatter about Williams by the commentators was embarrassing.
I actually thought the bold bit was justified, Williams had a great game and was easily MOM, it also made a change from the constant love in for Welsby that they usually have, they usually build Welsby up like the next messia (he's just a naughty boy) so it was a welcomed change for me