Referee for Friday!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Referee for Friday!

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:17 am These are the matches the lower rates, less experienced refs get, so you can't complain too much. After all, how would you get better if you're never given the chance to improve?

It would take some doing to influence the outcome based on last weeks scorline. Not impossible though, we shouldn't take anything for granted. Hopefully a good opportunity to get some point difference on the league table.
True Mike but conversely you should already have attained a given standard in order to get the opportunity to referee a SL game.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

This should be a test of the players and coaching team.
They should know that Vella is very keen on offside, playing the ball correctly, hands in at the ptb and not standing square.
Cut those out and we should be o.k.
Great grandad Harry ball

Post by Great grandad Harry ball »

No straw damn us wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:39 am This should be a test of the players and coaching team.
They should know that Vella is very keen on offside, playing the ball correctly, hands in at the ptb and not standing square.
Come on, he was so bad in the first half at London that even the hospitality were giving him stick, Matty Peet had words with him- which is most unusual, but to no avail. He was appalling all game. I do not go to a game to watch a referee.
6 agains were given so late that they were 5 and a halfs, he's just not good enough. It's a good job that so far we've had him in games that it didn't really matter how bad he was. One day it might just...................
However, having him 3 times in 9 games is taking the p**s.
jobo

Post by jobo »

No straw damn us wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:39 am This should be a test of the players and coaching team.
Spot on.
Bob the Builder

Post by Bob the Builder »

I really critized Mr Vella and quite rightly so following his previous performances. But I'll tip my hat to a much improved refereeing performance tonight. In fact, I can't recall anything he got wrong, and he remained unoticed (which is usually the case if refereed well). Well done Mr Vella!
Great grandad Harry ball

Post by Great grandad Harry ball »

Agree, was much better tonight ( wasn't hard though!) but still allowed a very slow play the ball, with plenty mauling going on.
Charriots Offiah

Great grandad Harry ball wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:43 pm Agree, was much better tonight ( wasn't hard though!) but still allowed a very slow play the ball, with plenty mauling going on.
Exactly, Quick play the ball, like last week, and Castleford get blown off the park again. But, on the whole, Vella was much improved.
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

Vella was fine I didn't really notice him to be honest
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
Charriots Offiah

fozzie58 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:14 am Vella was fine I didn't really notice him to be honest
No I agree, but he did not apply the rules to the ruck.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Looks like someone had a word with Mr V. It took 65 minutes for the first penalty for markers not standing square and it turned out to be the only one.
Otherwise the match sort of ran itself with a lot of laying on, which is irritating, random 'six-agains' and his curious obsession with resetting scrums for no obvious reason.
Perhaps, he's calmed down and is not trying so hard to make a name for himself and I hope he continues ti improve.