Charting the remarkable rise of Wigan Warriors’ proud Cumbrian prop Harvie Hill

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Charting the remarkable rise of Wigan Warriors’ proud Cumbrian prop Harvie Hill

Post by josie andrews »

When Wigan Warriors famously, dramatically – gloriously – toppled NRL kings Penrith Panthers in the World Club Challenge, it was a victory for spirit.

A win chiselled on the kind of collective desire which the club is built upon and runs through their DNA.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/ch ... arvie-hill
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Charting the remarkable rise of Wigan Warriors’ proud Cumbrian prop Harvie Hill

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

I wondered if he would be sent out on loan for a time but with a couple of injuries early on he's got gametime and really impressed. Seems to me like he's a starter rather than bench player. Can see him pushing Byrne and Havard over the next couple of years
Firestarter

Re: Charting the remarkable rise of Wigan Warriors’ proud Cumbrian prop Harvie Hill

Post by Firestarter »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:48 pm I wondered if he would be sent out on loan for a time but with a couple of injuries early on he's got gametime and really impressed. Seems to me like he's a starter rather than bench player. Can see him pushing Byrne and Havard over the next couple of years
I prefer him to byrne already ,but thats my personal choice
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

the potential of this current pack is actually quite frightening, and could be our pack for the next few years, with a little bit of smart recruitment / development of youth

we have Thompson, Dupree, Cooper and Havard, that you would see as the starting 4 when all fit. Mago, Byrne, Hiil and Chan. Ellis can also fill in at prop, but probably now cemented himself as our 13. i think we'll probably if all fit run with 5 props, with Mago offering the impact and the other 4 ensuring that the intensity doesnt drop from minute 1-80

backrow with Farrell, Isa, Junior and Walters. If Junior and Walters fulfil their potential, that gives us a very different dynamic to Farrell & Isa as they are both significantly bigger and can offload

at hooker O'Neill, Forber and Leeming, we have different options, albeit probably 1 too many hookers but if we can keep them all, O'Neill or Forber could be our hooking partnership for the next 10 years if they are playing well enough and injury free

it is likely that this year / end of next season we will have Cooper, Isa and Farrell all retire, so that gives us potential to promote or recruit. If Hill continues with the form he's shown so far this year, there is no reason why he cant be seen as one of our starting 4-5 props. he's a bloody big unit and doesnt seem to take a backwards step
doc

Post by doc »

You missed out Sam Eseh.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Apropos of nothing really, but I didn't know Tiaki Chan's big bro is now at the Melbourne Storm; just watched him perform very creditably against the Sydney Roosters.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Even though he’s bigger and was in the Catalans team before Tiaki, he’s actually younger, which surprised me when I found out. I must admit, when we signed Tiaki, I did wonder what the chances would be of getting Joe to join him at some point. I thought he looked outstanding coming through at Catalans and it felt a chance last season, as he wasn’t playing for Melbourne but it’s extremely unlikely now he’s turning out for their first team.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Havard, when fit, is one of the best props in the competition. Hill, who I really like, is not at that level but he has the potential to get there.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:20 pm Havard, when fit, is one of the best props in the competition. Hill, who I really like, is not at that level but he has the potential to get there.
Havard is class. I can’t wait for us to get him back because I think this competition for places is exactly what he needs to get his best level out of him, more often. At his best he is exceptional and him alongside Thompson should be something else.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

the pieman wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:42 pm the potential of this current pack is actually quite frightening, and could be our pack for the next few years, with a little bit of smart recruitment / development of youth

we have Thompson, Dupree, Cooper and Havard, that you would see as the starting 4 when all fit. Mago, Byrne, Hiil and Chan. Ellis can also fill in at prop, but probably now cemented himself as our 13. i think we'll probably if all fit run with 5 props, with Mago offering the impact and the other 4 ensuring that the intensity doesnt drop from minute 1-80

backrow with Farrell, Isa, Junior and Walters. If Junior and Walters fulfil their potential, that gives us a very different dynamic to Farrell & Isa as they are both significantly bigger and can offload

at hooker O'Neill, Forber and Leeming, we have different options, albeit probably 1 too many hookers but if we can keep them all, O'Neill or Forber could be our hooking partnership for the next 10 years if they are playing well enough and injury free

it is likely that this year / end of next season we will have Cooper, Isa and Farrell all retire, so that gives us potential to promote or recruit. If Hill continues with the form he's shown so far this year, there is no reason why he cant be seen as one of our starting 4-5 props. he's a bloody big unit and doesnt seem to take a backwards step
Agree with your whole post but the issue at 9 and with Leeming is that we signed him
On a 4 year deal.

We will either have to lose Forber or sell Leeming before his contract expires (subject to him accepting and a club wanting him).
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."