Wigan squad for Hull KR (R9)

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
widdenoldboy

Re: Wigan squad for Hull KR (R9)

Post by widdenoldboy »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:18 pm Sack the Board. Sack the coaches - and the coach driver too! Chief Executive had better fall on his sword as well. Melt down the League Leaders Shield, the Super League trophy and WCC trophy - we don't deserve them. We lost - for the second time since last June!

Sure it was a poor performance, well below par, in yet another away game. But they are a good team - and we did win the second half - and if Thompson had scored at 18 - 4 in the middle of the second half, who knows .....!!

I know these are stupid comments - but they aren't half as bad as some of the disgraceful/embarrassing/give the fans their money back comments on here. A bad day at the office is disappointing - but it happens.
You are right, they are stupid comments :) but this is an opinion forum and I respect your opinion.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

My concern is that when we were looking for points we just did t look very creative. We just switched the ball from side to side. There was no penetration for the backs to play off, they tried to create things just by throwing the ball.

I'm concerned at our lack of metre making in the forwards and the backs. We're often big losers in the territory battle and I think that has to change. French and field can't make clean breaks against a set defense that's on the front foot, not many anyway.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:54 pm Rovers were awful at cats so its only the same as us improving next week.I only saw bits as i was in work and will see how bad we were
It was bad as bad as it’s ever been under Peet,the drag from the WCC clearly is a real thing,think back to 2017 it was topsy turvey ride that one I seem to recall,so it is there and it’s clear to see yes they lucked out on wins which is a good thing but they now need to start sorting themselves out which I’m sure they will do and what better place to start than after a stinker of a game like last night
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Remember Leeds at home last year - it happens.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

The curse of the black third away shirt continues.Stick to blue from now on boys
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Was it really a bad game or just a cunning plan for the CC match?
Mass

Post by Mass »

Agree it was a bad day at the office, but a bit of perspective needed.

We have at least one performance like this every season.

Faz makes two mistakes in one game. How many times have we said that over the last 14 years. He makes just one of these it's a completely different game.

Cooper touches down or Marshall's inside pass goes to hand, again a different game.

HKR got schooled by Cats last week and Leigh schooled Cats yesterday. Hopefully this means it's a a more competitive competition this year. Personally I hate watching one sided games.

Trust in the players and the coaches is needed.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I believe the new kit to be trialled will be sackcloth and ashes.

Despite the sluggish display (could there be a virus in the camp? everyone seemed affected) there was the odd positive.
At about the 55 minute mark, it became clear that HKR's pack were completely blown and the backs were having to do all the main work. Problem was that we weren't good enough to do too much about it.

It does seem that French and Field are both a bit out of form and have been nullified by good coaches, of which Peters is one.
Also, I'm not sure that the coaching staff have found what to do with Leeming. He's always been a bit of a wild card and tends to drift out of matches if they don't revolve around him. Other clubs have used him as a change during the match at 13 but I wouldn't want to lose Ellis, who is having a great season.
I'll stick my neck out and say that Matty Peet will learn from last night and we will win the semi-final.
Gulp - now I've said it!

Just seen Matty Peet's comments and it was something I noticed during the game that, all too often we would end up the wrong side of the tackle and on the ground, meaning that we were short in defence at the PTB. That happened a lot under Lam and I thought we'd cleared it up but it seems to have reappeared.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

the 1st half is as poor as i've seen for a while

HKR ran harder, tackled harder and seemed to want it more. We just didnt seem to have anything effort wise

I dont recall Faz being run over like the 1st try last night in the last 14 years and again when they broke for the 3rd try. Too many easy offloads given when we had 3 men in the tackle kept the KR momentum going and we were flat as a pancake in attack

i'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and its one of those games where 1-17 were below par

for the upcoming semi, i'm expecting us firing on all cyclinders and maintaining that intensity from minute 1-80 with our prop rotation setting the bar for the rest to follow
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

Basically KR wanted the win more than we did, their scrambling defence cut out any opportunities we created.