Wigan squad for Hull KR (R9)

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
the pieman

Re: Wigan squad for Hull KR (R9)

Post by the pieman »

Ipinwigan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:07 am
Big Steve wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:16 am
NICKYKISS wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:36 pm I’d like to see Field just keep things really simple this week and sniff around the ball carriers to try and take any offloads or follow up breaks/half breaks. We made a few on Friday and we had guys like Faz backing up but there was no sign of Field. His biggest attribute for me in his time here has been a willingness to keep making runs off the ball, regardless of him getting the pass or not. He rarely seems to be in the picture so far this season and I can only think he’s not 100% fit, which does seem to have been rumoured.

I did think the second half on Friday was just about his most threatening half of rugby this season (with Leigh being his best all round game) but it was a bit frenetic as you say and he just needs to settle down. He seems a really honest lad and I get the feeling he might just be trying a bit too hard to make things happen. If anyone has earned a so so period of form it’s Field to be fair to the guy.
I think the 2nd half is the first time we've really seen Field have the confidence to stretch his legs this season - he's obviously been nursing a tight hamstring for quite a while and hopefully the couple of games rest has sorted him out.

He's such an unselfish player - as you say , he makes so many runs off the ball and makes space for other to score just by threatening to take the line on.

I was happy to see him look to get on the outside of the defender in the 2nd half - and with a bit of luck we could have easily scored a couple from hie breaks.

Im hoping we start to play a more offloading game especially when Walters is back as Field should be on his shoulder all the time.
Sam Walters is the player I thought was going to be our best sigining, so really looking forward to him being in the team.
Hopefully he and other forwards can play an offloading game, with runners off them.
A second row of Walters and Nsemba could be a fantastic second row.
we've shown in glimpses over the last 18 months what we can do with a neat little offload and Field in support, especially when he's followed Mago and putting him into space

now we can add in Cooper, Nsemba and Walters all the the ability to stay upright and offload in the tackle. I'm hoping to see both French and Field sniffing around those players as they take the ball in to give a different dimension to our attack

re Walters and Nsemba in the 2nd row, i personally dont think we'll see that too much this year. Matty still likes Faz and Isa, so i expect Faz to retain his place with the odd game rest, and he'll integrate one or both of Walters and Nsemba over the rest of the season with 1 starting and the other likely on the bench. We may need to wait til next season before we see them both flying, and even then i still think Faz will be 1st choice 2nd row in what is likely to be(could be) his final season
Ipinwigan

Re: Wigan squad for Hull KR (R9)

Post by Ipinwigan »

Sam Walters is added to the 21 man squad for the Catalans game.
More or less at full strength now, no excuses for poor performances now the pressure is really on the forwards to perform.