Wigan sign Nirada Phonsaya

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan sign Nirada Phonsaya

Post by josie andrews »

WIGAN WARRIORS WOMEN ARE PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THE SIGNING OF SECOND ROW, NIRADA PHONSAYA, FROM WESTERN CLYDESDALES IN THE BMD PREMIERSHIP.

Born in Canberra in August 1999, the 24-year-old comes over from Australia to join the Warriors for the 2024 Betfred Women’s Super League season.

Phonsaya has 12-years of Rugby League playing experience, having also played Rugby Union. At U16 she represented ACT School Girls and at U18 the Canberra Raiders Tarsha Gale Cup as well as having played in the NSWRL Monaro Colts.

In 2021, she was awarded the Women’s representative Player of the Year in Canberra which motivated her to seek opportunities elsewhere. From there, she made the move from Canberra to Brisbane in 2021 to participate in the BMD Premiership, where she signed for Wynnum Manly Seagulls and played for two years.

Phonsaya, who is of Asian (Laos) heritage, represented Asian United XIII against the Philippines last year.

Most recently, the Second Row signed for Western Clydesdales, also in the BMD Premiership where she played alongside new recruit Rease Casey as well as Jillaroo World Cup winners Ali Brigginshaw and Kezie Apps, before making the move to Wigan for the rest of the 2024 season.

The Aussie forward will take the number 36 shirt and is available for selection for this weekend’s Nines Qualifiers and beyond.

Speaking on joining the Warriors, she said: “I saw the game on Sunday [v Featherstone Rovers] and it gave me a really good perspective of how the game is played here. The girls look to be playing really well so I’m excited to get started.

“The girls have been really welcoming since I arrived too which has helped a lot with the transition.”

Head Coach Denis Betts commented: “Following the signing of Rease Casey a few weeks ago, we’re happy to welcome Nirada on board from Australia too. Similarly, she’s made herself available not only to experience Rugby League over here but it’s also a chance for her to see another part of the World.

“Nirada brings with her a lot of good skills and a good standard in the second row. We look forward to her integrating into the team quickly and seeing her on the field soon.”

Watch Nirada’s first interview with Wigan TV after signing with the Club HERE.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/05/ ... -phonsaya/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Re: Wigan sign Nirada Phonsaya

Post by Firestarter »

And theres me thinking we( mens team) ,had signed an up and coming superstar that ide never heard of
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
robbobillinge

Post by robbobillinge »

😂😂😂
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Two more additions for Warriors Women’s team

* Wigan Warriors sign Gracie Bradshaw from St Helens.

* Jenna Foubister promoted from Academy to First Team.

* Both players available for selection in this week’s Nines Qualifiers.

WIGAN WARRIORS ARE PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THAT YOUNG WINGER, GRACIE BRADSHAW, HAS JOINED THE CLUB FROM ST HELENS WHILST JENNA FOUBISTER HAS BEEN PROMOTED TO THE WOMEN’S FIRST TEAM.

Born in Ormskirk, Bradshaw has played at amateur Clubs Haydock, Blackbrook and Orrell St James. She then joined St Helens U19s Academy.

The winger was then promoted to the St Helens Women’s first team for the 2023 Betfred Women’s Super League season, where she made two appearances and scoring one try.

Known for her speed and skill set, Bradshaw adds further depth into Wigan’s options in the backs. She will take the number 38 shirt for the 2024 Betfred Women’s Super League season.

In addition, Jenna Foubister has been promoted to the first team from the Greenmount Girls Academy.

Foubister, who joined the Warriors Greenmount Girls Academy in 2022 is a versatile player who can play anywhere in the backs, offering squad depth for the Warriors.

Speaking on the new additions, Head of Youth for Women’s and Girls Pathways, Genna Banks said: “Gracie and Jenna have been two formidable players within the girls game, so it’s a testament to their hard work that they have now been added to the Women’s first team here at Wigan.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/05/ ... mens-team/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan