BRISBANE BRONCOS’ attacking coach Lee Briers has rejected the chance to return to Super League as a head coach.

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

BRISBANE BRONCOS’ attacking coach Lee Briers has rejected the chance to return to Super League as a head coach.

Post by josie andrews »

League Express can reveal that Hull FC had been eyeing up Briers, who was Matt Peet’s assistant at the Wigan Warriors during the club’s successful Challenge Cup campaign in 2022, but that he wants to remain loyal to the Broncos.

Briers’ contract with the Queenslanc club runs until the end of the 2025 NRL season, but he has been a key figure in Brisbane’s successful attacking returns in 2023 and 2024 so far.

Previously, the ex-Warrington Wolves halfback had outlined his desire to be a head coach one day.

“With coaching, there aren’t many jobs out there but my ambition is to be a head coach whether that be in the NRL or Super League,” Briers previously told the BBC 5 Live podcast.

“All I can keep doing is keep getting that experience and wait until that job comes. I’m not in a rush, I could be an assistant for the rest of my life.

“But I’m ready now, I’m ready to be a head coach if that’s now or in a few years time. I love it at the Broncos and I’m learning how to manage.

“The jobs has to fit me, I’m not going to walk into any job. It’s got to be the right one because at the moment I’m in the best place to learn.”

With Salford Red Devils head coach Paul Rowley also turning down the chance to join the Black and Whites, it remains to be seen in which direction Hull FC will now turn.

https://www.totalrl.com/brisbane-bronco ... ead-coach/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzie58

Re: BRISBANE BRONCOS’ attacking coach Lee Briers has rejected the chance to return to Super League as a head coach.

Post by fozzie58 »

Well it just seems Myler is picking names out of a hat now
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
the pieman

Re: BRISBANE BRONCOS’ attacking coach Lee Briers has rejected the chance to return to Super League as a head coach.

Post by the pieman »

fozzie58 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:39 pm Well it just seems Myler is picking names out of a hat now
i agree, he's like a fish out of water

Why would Briers go to an absolute calamity of a place like Hull at the minute. Stick in OZ, get some great experience from both a rugby and a life perspective, then look whats on offer over here if and when he's ready. We've seen what influence he can have on our team from an assistants perspective, so why drop into Hull now to get spat out in 6 months time
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Looks like coaches have worked out that it's better being an in work assistant than a head coach at a disaster of a club like Hull FC then out of work with a reputation ruined.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

FCHull FC-linked coach takes up job in media

Almost a month on from the sacking of Tony Smith, Hull FC are still without a head coach and now one of those men linked with the role has taken up a job elsewhere.

In the weeks since Smith’s sacking, there has been plenty of change at Hull FC with Director of Rugby Richie Myler appointed and long-serving CEO James Clark stepping down, but there still isn’t a new head coach.

Hull FC would look to go all out for Paul Rowley but the Salford Red Devils boss knocked them back, opting to remain with the Greater Manchester-based club instead of moving to West Hull.

Several names have been linked to the vacant role and one of those men has now been confirmed to take up a new role.

That man is former South Sydney Rabbitohs boss Jason Demetriou with the ex-Wakefield Trinity player sacked with the Bunnies at the foot of the NRL table.

It’s not just been the season form in 2024 that saw Demetriou axed but the late-season form in 2023 with the Rabbitohs throwing away a playoff place as they lost nine of their last thirteen games, before then starting the season with a record of one win and six losses.

As such, Demetriou, who had been linked to the Hull FC role by Sky Sports, was sacked but he has quickly found himself new work.

That work is in the media with Demetriou taking on a role for Triple M as part of their commentary team for the remainder of the 2024 NRL season.

Just a week after his dismissal, he has been snapped up and will join a team that features former St Helens star James Graham, who also offers analysis on Triple M.

It’s somewhat of a blow for Hull FC considering the reports from Sky Sports that Demetriou was on the Black and Whites’ reported shortlist.

He was also on the shortlist compiled by Sky Sports’ Jenna Brooks who suggested some bold names as candidates.

Who is on the Sky’s Hull FC shortlist?

The shortlist proposed by Jenna Brooks ahead of Hull FC’s clash with Warrington Wolves featured a number of NRL names as well as Demetriou, but there was a heavy Super League bias.

Names such as current interim head coach Simon Grix are featured as well as current assistants at Warrington and Castleford in the form of Martin Gleeson and Danny Maguire.

Hull KR’s assistant coach Danny Ward was another mentioned whilst two of the bold shouts were Shaun Wane and Adrian Lam.

Adrian Lam’s name did start gaining traction though following the confirmation that Hull FC had signed John Asiata, however, suggestions of Lam to the MKM Stadium have quietened down after Derek Beaumont poured water on them.

He revealed to Leigh Leopards fans that the club had offered Lam a three-year deal, something that Lam was surprised had been made public as he claimed that the information “wasn’t exactly right”.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/hull-fc- ... dia-91313/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan