Matt Peet credits Harry Smith for game management in dominant victory over Huddersfield Giants

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Matt Peet credits Harry Smith for game management in dominant victory over Huddersfield Giants

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors boss Matt Peet credited Harry Smith for his game management against Huddersfield Giants as his side dominated the second half for a 48-6 victory.

Winger Liam Marshall enjoyed a hat-trick in the Round 11 triumph at the John Smith’s Stadium, alongside braces from Bevan French and Abbas Miski and a try from Kruise Leeming in hot conditions.

The victory lifted the Warriors to the top of the Super League table above St Helens and Warrington Wolves on points difference, with Peet pleased with the performance that included 40 unanswered points on either side of half time.

“I’m pleased, I thought that it was a tough game – much tougher than the scoreline suggests,” Peet said.

“It was a war of attrition in the first half, both teams attempting set for set and I thought Huddersfield were probably the better team.

“There were some areas where they exposed us with good play, as you’d expect from them.

"Esan Marsters was causing us problems with his offloads, so it was pleasing to get the opportunity to get the lads to regroup.

I thought the second half was job well done with a balanced team performance.”

Back on kicking duties for Adam Keighran, academy product Smith converted eight from nine in the victory, including a penalty conversion - but it was the 24-year-old’s game management that caught the eye of his head coach.

“I thought Harry Smith managed the game well,” Peet continued.

“I thought he played with a lot of composure. At times we needed a calm head, the way he organised us, got the ball where it needed to be and kicked the ball well, particularly in the second half.”

Ethan Havard also continues to impress following his return from a lengthy spell on the sidelines due to injury.

The England prop made his third straight appearance from the interchange bench and continues to grow weekly with his performances, with Peet admitting: “I’m pleased with him.

"We feel Ethan is a good player, he works very hard and it’s nice to see him out there when you know how hard he’s worked through his rehabilitation.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ts-4624902
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Matt Peet credits Harry Smith for game management in dominant victory over Huddersfield Giants

Post by josie andrews »

Peet: Job well done

* Matt Peet praised his side after Wigan Warriors beat Huddersfield Giants to go top of the Betfred Super League table.

* Peet: “It was pleasing to get the opportunity to regroup and in the end the second half was a job well done.”

* FT | Huddersfield Giants 6-48 Wigan Warriors.

MATT PEET PRAISED HIS SIDE AFTER WIGAN WARRIORS SCORED EIGHT TRIES TO BEAT HUDDERSFIELD GIANTS AT THE JOHN SMITH’S STADIUM.

Liam Marshall scored his 15th career hat-trick in the victory as Bevan French (x2), Abbas Miski (x2) and Kruise Leeming crossed for tries in West Yorkshire.

Reflecting on the win, Peet said: “I’m pleased. It was a lot tougher game than the score line suggested which is always the case against Huddersfield who I thought were the better team in the first half. It was pleasing to get the opportunity to regroup and in the end the second half was a job well done.”

Peet named the same line-up for the second week running, and explaining his decision, the Warriors head coach said: “It’s a good sign when you can do that. It shows you don’t have any new injuries or suspensions but there will be times when you have to make changes.”

Speaking on a number of positional changes in the second half, Peet said: “A few players moved into different positions and I liked the balance of it. Brad [O’Neill] at 13 was something we always knew we had up our sleeve and today was a game for mobility. I wanted to get him back on but Kruise [Leeming] was causing damage as well as defending very well.”

Praising Harry Smith, who converted eight of his nine goal attempts, Peet said: “Harry managed the game very well. In that heat you need players to play with a calm head and I thought Harry showed a lot of composure in the way he organised play. Overall I thought we was well-balanced and that it was a game where you couldn’t name someone straight away.”

The Warriors are back on the road next Saturday when they face Hull KR in the Betfred Challenge Cup semi-final at Eco-Power Stadium. Tickets remain on general sale from The Brick Community Stadium and online HERE.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/05/ ... well-done/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Re: Matt Peet credits Harry Smith for game management in dominant victory over Huddersfield Giants

Post by josie andrews »

Warriors win against Giants

* Match Report as Wigan Warriors win against Huddersfield Giants at the John Smith’s Stadium.

* Liam Marshall registered a hat-trick as Bevan French and Abbas Miski grabbed braces.

* FT| Huddersfield Giants 6-48 Wigan Warriors.

MATCH REPORT AS WIGAN WARRIORS WIN AWAY AT HUDDERSFIELD GIANTS IN ROUND 11 OF BETFRED SUPER LEAGUE.

The Warriors were reduced to 12-men on the first tackle as Liam Byrne was shown a yellow card for a high tackle on Matty English. Wigan got on the scoreboard immediately as camped on their own goal line, the Giants passed the ball to Marshall to race the length of the field for the opening score. Harry Smith slotted the conversion from the touchline to make it 6-0 after 4 minutes.

Huddersfield threatened to respond shortly afterwards as English broke the line to get the ball away to Clune but he ran into traffic before the grubber kick from the Giants went straight into the hands of Abbas Miski to deny the hosts. Getting upfield, Wigan then got a penalty for a tackle without the ball 25m out which Harry Smith slotted between the sticks for 8-0 in as many minutes.

The hosts responded in the 14th minute as they broke out of their own half to see Elliot Wallis weave his way under the sticks. Connor added the extras and it was 8-6 to the Warriors.

A few sets were shared before Wigan extended their lead in the 19th minute. French collected a loose ball before being tackled on half way before popping up again in the next tackle to slip between the defence with a show and go, diving over in front of the travelling Warriors support. The conversion attempt from out wide was off target but it stood 12-6 in Wigan’s favour.

With 25 minutes played, Wigan had a great chance to extend their lead as Jai Field sent a teasing kick through which Liam Marshall made a diving effort to ground but it wasn’t to be for the Warriors. With set-for-set shared towards the end of the half, the teams went in at the break with the Warriors in the lead.

The Warriors came out firing in the second half as Liam Marshall scored after just two minutes of the restart. Jai Field produced the cut-out pass to find the winger who came back inside to cross for his second. The conversion from Harry Smith was straight through the posts to make it 18-6.

After a period of sustained pressure, the Giants defence eventually cracked as Bevan French crossed for his second of the afternoon just after the hour. A short pass from Jai Field allowing him to sneak through to score under the sticks which Smith converted for 24-6.

Straight afterwards the Warriors scored a fifth, breaking from half way with Jai Field the ball went through hands to find Liam Marshall on the wing to touch down for his hat-trick try. Harry Smith was on target with the boot again as Wigan hit 30-6.

The Warriors struck again just minutes later as hot heels from French saw him take on the line to fire an outrageous offload out of the back to find Kruise Leeming to glide over, again close to the uprights for Harry Smith to add another two points from the tee, making it 36-6.

Esan Marsters was shown a yellow card in the 72nd minute for a trip on Bevan French as the Giants were forced to see the game out with 12-men.

Abbas Miski added his name to the scoresheet with two tries in the final six minutes, both efforts were converted by Harry Smith to see Wigan to a hard-earned 48-6 victory on the road.

Huddersfield Giants: Jake Connor, Sam Halsall, Esan Marsters, Kevin Naiqama, Elliot Wallis, Tui Lolohea, Adam Clune, Oliver Wilson, Adam Milner, Matty English, Harry Rushton, Leroy Cudjoe, Luke Yates.

Interchanges: Joe Greenwood, Sam Hewitt, Ashton Golding, Sebastine Ikahihifo.

18th Player: Oliver Russell.

Tries: Wallis (14′)

Goals: Connor 1/1

Sin Bin: Marsters (72′)

Wigan Warriors: Jai Field, Abbas Miski, Adam Keighran, Jake Wardle, Liam Marshall, Bevan French, Harry Smith, Luke Thompson, Brad O’Neill, Liam Byrne, Junior Nsemba, Liam Farrell, Kaide Ellis.

Interchanges: Ethan Havard, Patrick Mago, Kruise Leeming, Tyler Dupree.

18th Player: Harvie Hill.

Tries: Marshall (2′, 42′, 64′), French (19′, 61′), Leeming (68′), Miski (74′, 78′)

Goals: Smith 8/9

Sin Bin: Byrne (1′)

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/05/ ... st-giants/
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Liam Marshall shines for Wigan Warriors as Huddersfield Giants boss blasts "capitulation"

Winger scored a hat-trick as champions demolished Huddersfield 48-6 to go back top and set themselves up perfectly for Challenge Cup semi-final but rivals are in dire straits ahead of their bid for Wembley

Liam Marshall scored yet another hat-trick as Wigan regained Super League top spot with a ruthless destruction of humiliated Huddersfield.

Bevan French (2), Abbas Miski and Kruise Leeming all also crossed for Matt Peet’s silky side. It was perfect preparation for next Saturday’s Challenge Cup semi-final against Hull KR - even if they had Liam Byrne sin-binned after just TEN seconds. Huddersfield were in the contest trailing just 12-6 at the break.

But they capitulated miserably, shipping 36 unanswered second points, and have still yet to win a home league game this season. On the back of a third straight defeat, they’re in dire straits ahead of their own Cup semi against Warrington next Sunday. Marshall also scored a treble in the win against them in March, as well as four in the Cup success against Castleford, and the winger now has 18 tries for the campaign.

Peet said: “I was pleased with that. It was a war of attrition first half but the second half was a job well-done. It was only two weeks ago we got a smack so I’m happy.”

Ireland prop Byrne was yellow carded for clobbering Matty English high from the kick-off. It brought back memories of Adrian Morley’s infamous red card just 12 seconds into Great Britain’s first Test against Australia in 2003. Byrne only saw yellow but he only came back from a four-game ban in the previous week’s win over Catalans. He will be sweating now about what the match review panel decides on Monday with any suspension ruling him out of their bid for Wembley.

But Peet said: “I’m confident he will [be OK]. If he misses out for today, I don’t think he will be the only one. Because there were similar contacts [unpunished]. It's a strange situation. I’m not saying it was the wrong decision. But I can’t see consistency from one high tackle to the next.”

While Huddersfield wilted in the searing heat, wonderful Wigan were left having fun in the sun. Man of Steel French was able to do what he wanted, picking their hapless opponents apart. As well as his two solo tries, the pacey stand-off produced an exquisite flick pass for Leeming’s score.

Esan Marsters resulted in needlessly tripping the Aussie ace after his latest run in the 72nd minute. He was sin-binned and Miski ran in two tries to round off a woeful afternoon for Ian Watson’s side. Centre Marsters, one of Super League’s top performers this year, will be furious with himself if he ends up getting banned for their crucial last-four clash.

But Wigan didn’t mind being down to 12 men surging into an 8-0 lead in Byrne's absence. Marshall sprinted 95m for a third minute try after Sam Halsall claimed Tui Lolohea’s crossfield kick but only offloaded to the lightening-quick wideman. Harry Smith slotted the first of his seven conversions and added a penalty soon after.

The hosts responded when Elliot Wallis scored a fine long-distance solo try of his own, Jake Connor improving. But Leroy Cudjoe was easily swatted aside by French as he sprinted in from 20m for another soft try on 19 minutes. And his side never looked back.

Watson admitted: “The first half there was nothing in it. But that second half. Wow. I didn’t see that one coming. We just capitulated. You can talk about individual brilliance with Jai [Field] and Bevan [French].

"But we just made errors and didn’t have resilience to defend our tryline. It makes you rethink everything and want to go back to the drawing board and think about whether you're picking the right team or not.

"We've had three losses on the bounce going into a semi-final. A lot of it is due to our own downfall. It's a massive wake-up call."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-le ... l-32788574
jobo

Post by jobo »

Harry Smith reminds me of the way Kevin Sinfield used to control a game, understated but extremely effective.

Think he's like the RL equivalent of footballs Paul Scholes, a General, playing 3 or 4 moves ahead.

Cracking player for me and just as influential for the team as any of the headline players.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Cracking kicking from the tee too
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I think he's gone up a gear this season.
BriH

Post by BriH »

moto748 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:50 am I think he's gone up a gear this season.
Absolutely