Bradford!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mario

Re: Bradford!

Post by mario »

bradford can't do any harm to their youth structure getting in all these overseas players because they have'nt got a youth structure!
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

If Lam signs a new contract then we can have another overseas player because ofthis new rule, because his mum is from liverpool. but we shouldnt really need another overseas player because of all the youngsters we have!!
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
tihsllub

Post by tihsllub »

Again not sticking up for Bradford but… to be fair they are the best team in the UK so they must be doing something right. A quick point on the overseas thing, I’m sure wigan if they wanted to have more overseas players in there team they would stretch the rules so that they can have more. Bradford are a very good team and I think they have a perfect setup to introduce young players to there team they have a wide mix of experience and skill and the younger players will be able to learn from them, I think it’s fantastic that we have so many younger players in our team but people are saying get rid of the oldies we don’t need them but we do you have to have a nice mixture of youth and experience.

Also does it really matter if Bradford are running close to the salary cap? As long as they are not over it.

The Bradford team aint breaking ne rules so why have such negative comments on them? Also comments about them not having ne youth development is utter rubbish go check the u21’s and u18’s.
Think about it how stupid would it be if a super league team had to have so many players from a 10 mile radius of the club hehehehe :P

I just hope the young players play up to wigan fans expectations next year and I’m sure they will but if they don’t I wonder what the views on young wigan players will be next year??

Biased?

100% wigan :D
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

yes you'r quite right at the moment bradford are the best team in the sport and have proved it over the last few seasons but everyone knows there hidding behind small print and interpreting rules to suit. when the overseas quota was introduced it was to restrict clubs becoming entirely foreign and that is what bradford are in danger of doing.not rocket science really just because your grandad used to drink guinness doesnt make him irish if your not british your not british!!!
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

[
The Bradford team aint breaking ne rules so why have such negative comments on them?
You really can't work it out?

They have too many foreign players in the team.

It is that simple.

It does not matter if they are here legally or not. There are still too many of them in the Bradford team. The same applies to Hull.

Teams do not import foreign players to play in the reserves. They are imported to be part fo the first 17.

Therefore ALL of Bradford foreign players are keeping British players out of the side. It is the same at all clubs BUT bradford (and Hull) have far more so called "off quota" foreign players than others so are the worst offenders by a long way.

Why is this bad? Because the number of foreign players in our game is a big reason wht GB are so poor internationally against the Aussies. Over 30% of players in SL last season were foreign. It is too many for the good of the game here.

We struggle to find players good enough for GB in certain positions because the best ones in our league are from NZ and Australia.

With this in mind the overseas quota is coming down to 4 next season but that is not much use if clubs like Bradford exploit loopholes is it?

New foreign signings are not allowed to come off quota anymore. But those who are already off quota can remain so. Do you know why that is? Because Chris Caisley, Bradford chairman threatened to take the matter to court if the RFL scrapped the off quota rule for all players as they originally wanted to do.

FYI it was the same Chris Caisley who refused to realse the Paul bros to represent their country a few season back as well. He has also stated that club RL is more important than the international game. Well he should look at the RU world cup if he thinks that.

THESE are the reasons why there are negative comments on Bradford.

To paraphrase your first sentance of your post, Bradford are the best team in the UK because they are doing something WRONG. Which is relying on too many foriegn players if you had not guessed.

Dave

wolftown warrior

Post by wolftown warrior »

yeah.. i do think the bulls have far to many overseas player in there team, but u can only blame the overseeing authorities for this.. hey should put there foot down regardless of who it upsets..
i`m sure they wouldn`t have a problem coming down on us with a ton of bricks?

realisticly.. bradford have built a team for now. not long term longevity. teams like leeds and ourselves seem to be leading the way with bringin through the youth & british based players into our arenas.
u have to say. if we can keep hold of our guys.. the likes of briscoe & tickle, who i thought was fantastic last year.. & all the other young un`s who got us through that bad patch at the start of the season. & let em learn from our experienced guys then we could have a team that will be there or there abouts for the next 7-10 seasons..
thats how i look at it.. along with consistancy.. i would like to see the all the overseas players come back next year, keep the same unit.. we will dominate the league next season..
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

On top of all this, I've heard the it will shortly be the British governments policy that anyone from the commonwealth under the age of 30 will automatically qualify for 2 years "working holiday" visa. This further undermines the RFLs quota system - which already would not stand up in court if european players were included. When this change comes in, the quota will not stand any challenge in the courts even for Australian and NZ players under 30. Caisley is jusst the sort of person to take the RFL to court over something like this, so I would expect to see the whole quota system become a large issue in the near future when Bradford run out of their current crop of overseas players and have no youth to replace them with. :angry:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐