Keighran: Right attitude

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Keighran: Right attitude

Post by josie andrews »

* Adam Keighran offered his thoughts as Wigan beat Salford Red Devils 26-6.

* Keighran: “They have some great players, their two centres especially and I believe we handled that pretty well today and happy with the outcome.”

* Read the full match report HERE. https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/05/ ... -devils-2/

ADAM KEIGHRAN SAID WIGAN HAD THE ‘RIGHT ATTITUDE’ AS THEY TOOK TWO POINTS HOME WITH A 26-6 WIN AWAY TO SALFORD RED DEVILS ON SUNDAY AFTERNOON.

Speaking at full time, Keighran said: “Off the back of last week which was a big occasion and a big win, I think the boys came here with the right attitude today. So overall we’re happy with the result.”

On Salford, he added: “We know they’re a team who like to throw the ball around and shift across the park. They have some great players, their two centres especially and I believe we handled that pretty well today and happy with the outcome.”

The teams had to contend with a heavy shift in weather in the second half, as Keighran explained: “We got here and it was sunny so the heaviness of the rain was quite unexpected and a bit of hail out there as well. I think we adjusted well enough to it, there was a few dropped balls there which is to be expected in those conditions but we reacted well to that in our defence.”

The Centre was on kicking duties on Sunday afternoon and hit five goals from a possible five: “You can’t complain if you don’t miss. It’s not something to get complacent on, it’s great being able to nail those two-pointers. I was happy to hit five-from-five today but I definitely won’t hang my hat on that, I’ll be back on the park practicing some more.”

Looking ahead to facing Warrington in Round 13, he said: “It’s going to be a good challenge, they’re a good side and they’ve proven that this year. We face them this week before facing them again at Wembley in two weeks time.

“It’ll be a good test for us to see where we’re at and it’s exciting knowing we have the chance to come up against each other before the big one.”

Tickets are on general sale now for Wigan’s Round 13 tie against Warrington Wolves at the Halliwell Jones Stadium as well as the Betfred Challenge Cup Final, where Wigan will also face the Wolves. Buy tickets online HERE.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/05/ ... -attitude/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Keighran: Right attitude

Post by josie andrews »

Warriors defeat Red Devils

* Match Report as Wigan Warriors win away at Salford Red Devils.

* Wigan scored four tries to defeat the Red Devils at the Salford Community Stadium.

* FT | Salford Red Devils 6-26 Wigan Warriors.

MATCH REPORT AS WIGAN WARRIORS WIN AWAY AT SALFORD RED DEVILS IN ROUND 12.

Wigan built up a three-try lead in the first half with three tries in a fifteen minute spell. Adam Keighran opened the scoring after racing half the length of the field as Junior Nsemba and Brad O’Neill also added to the scoring, with Adam Keighran converting all three.

A closely contested second half saw Salford respond through Oliver Partington but a sole penalty goal from the Warriors paired with a late try from Bevan French saw the Warriors to a 26-6 victory on the road.

The sets were shared in an even opening five minutes at the Salford Community Stadium with both teams trying to fain a foothold in the game.

The Warriors did break the deadlock in the 9th minute however as Abbas Miski stormed through the Salford defensive line to get a pass away to Adam Keighran on halfway, with the Centre racing away to score under the sticks. Keighran converted his own score for 6-0.

Wigan crossed for their second of the afternoon on 16 minutes. Harry Smith got a ball away to Junior Nsemba who brushed off the tackle from Marc Sneyd before racing towards the line to score for a second consecutive game. Adam Keighran nailed the extras from out wide and it was 12-0.

Just after the first quarter Marc Sneyd was shown a green card after a stoppage in play for injury. Wigan continued to ask the questions and Brad O’Neill shot over from dummy half to extend Wigan’s lead under the sticks. Adam Keighran made it three-from-three as Wigan were out to 18-0.

Salford thought they had their breakthrough on 30 minutes as Kallum Watkins flew onto a pass but Wigan scrambled well to hold him up over the line and the kick on the last was collected well by Marshall to see Wigan back in possession.

The home side had another food opportunity shortly afterwards as Lafai streamed forward to get the Red Devils into Wigan’s half. With men over on the right edge it came to Watkins once more but this time he lost the ball one-on-one with Liam Marshall as Wigan kept Salford out.

Wigan were soaking up some late pressure and again Salford were denied. Tom Grant sent an effort to the video referee as no try from Nene Macdonald and the assistant agreed, with Wigan getting the ball back for a knock-on and going in at the break with a three-try lead.

The Warriors were penalised back-to-back as Salford got over for their first of the game in the 46th minute. A penalty for a high shot on Partington saw the hosts with a full set 10m out, which they took full advantage of as former Warrior Partington crashed over. Sneyd converted the effort to make it 18-6.

A drastic change in the weather saw both sides having to contend with a heavy downpour as the game continued to flow set-for-set up to the hour mark.

Jai Field was caught high 30m out and the Warriors called for the tee. Adam Keighran continued his form from the tee as Wigan made it 20-6 heading into the final 15 minutes.

Harry Smith lined up a drop goal attempt with 3 minutes to go but the effort came back off the uprights before Salford came up with an error to give Wigan a scrum. From the penalty Wigan fired the ball out to the right for Bevan French to glide over to complete the victory. Adam Keighran made it a perfect day from the kicking tee as the Warriors registered a 26-6 win.

Salford Red Devils: Ryan Brierley, Ethan Ryan, Nene Macdonald, Tim Lafai, Deon Cross, Chris Atkin, Marc Sneyd, Brad Singleton, Joe Shorrocks, Shane Wright, Sam Stone, Kallum Watkins, Oliver Partington.

Interchanges: Matty Foster, Chris Hankinson, Joe Mellor, Gil Dudson.

18th Player: King Vuniyayawa.

Tries: Partington (46′)

Goals: Sneyd 1/1

Green Card: Sneyd (24′)

Wigan Warriors: Jai Field, Abbas Miski, Adam Keighran, Jake Wardle, Liam Marshall, Bevan French, Harry Smith, Mike Cooper, Brad O’Neill, Luke Thompson, Junior Nsemba, Liam Farrell, Ethan Havard.

Interchanges: Kruise Leeming, Patrick Mago, Tyler Dupree, Harvie Hill.

18th Player: Zach Eckersley.

Tries: Keighran (9′), Nsemba (16′), O’Neill (25′), French (77′)

Goals: Keighran 5/5

Attendance: 4,087

Referee: Tom Grant Video Referee: Aaron Moore.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/05/ ... -devils-2/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Twitter conversation

Salford Red Devils
@SalfordDevils

Today's attendance at the Salford Community Stadium is 4087.

Thank you as ever for your loud and loyal support of the team!

A reply; from an "aspiring writer/content creator & Leopards supporter"!

I don't who this is a worse reflection on. Salford or Wigan.

At least Salford has the excuse that a lot of their fans were potentially at Wembley yesterday.

Wigan with their dominance and success should be taking 2K minimum to every ground. 🤷‍♂️

Bilko’s reply

Wigan will get to 18 matches this season having played 13 of them away from home and two of the five at home have not been within the season ticket (World Challenge & Cup). I salute the wallet of every fan going to the well here.

Think people forget we’ve spent more time away from home than any other SL club this season.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Yes it's costing us a chunk and we nearly didn't go today but we all chipped in four of us. We was looking what it's costing on average without season tickets costs it's pushing 400 quid a month when we add in the Wembley trip.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

lucky 13 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:15 pm Yes it's costing us a chunk and we nearly didn't go today but we all chipped in four of us. We was looking what it's costing on average without season tickets costs it's pushing 400 quid a month when we add in the Wembley trip.
I’m the same & I go to watch all the women’s games home & away, get the home games free, as well as the first team, Reserves, Academy & wheelchair if they are at Robin Park. Sometimes those away games are just a few pounds.

To go & watch the Women’s Semi final v Leeds at St Helens & because it was a curtain raiser to the men’s CCSF Wire v Giants I had to pay £23 & I wasn’t staying to watch that. It’s the same on Friday, Wigan Warriors Women play Saints on Friday as a curtain raiser to Sts v Catalan another £23 & not watching the men’s game.

I’ve been to all the Pre season games & I’ve been to all, just four I think it is, the home & all the away games this season plus the CC Final. I can’t be ar*ed adding it all up but I bet it’s a pretty penny supporting this club. (And still not got my ST!!)
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Regarding AK, he is really starting to find his feet.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Agree, much more involved.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Think fans are too eager to blast new players especially Aussie/Kiwi imports, it always takes them a while to settle in to a new team, a new club, a new area & a new country. I think he will be a good centre player for us. Maybe not quite as good as Wardle but he will be fine, plus he’s a great goal kicking option
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:27 am Think fans are too eager to blast new players especially Aussie/Kiwi imports, it always takes them a while to settle in to a new team, a new club, a new area & a new country. I think he will be a good centre player for us. Maybe not quite as good as Wardle but he will be fine, plus he’s a great goal kicking option
Well said Josie, I would add he is the goal kicking option. Smith is the back up.