NRLFormer Hull FC coaching target Lee Briers lining up huge job

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
josie andrews

NRLFormer Hull FC coaching target Lee Briers lining up huge job

Post by josie andrews »

Former Warrington half-back and Wigan and England coach Lee Briers looks set to make a surprise NRL move, despite Super League links.

After making his mark at St Helens, Briers spent 15 years at St Helens as well as representing Wales and Great Britain.

Since retiring from playing, he’s had high-profile coaching roles with Wigan Warriors and England, and is currently an attacking coach at NRL side Brisbane Broncos.

It had seemed that he was destined to make a move into a head coaching role sooner rather than later.

Last year, he told rugby-league.com: “I always had faith in my coaching ability and if it eventuates that I go on to become a head coach, it pays off. That’s eventually the target, either in Super League or the NRL.”

However, he reportedly rejected a move from Hull FC to make him their head coach, before they eventually secured his colleague John Cartwright for the role instead.

Now, he’s reportedly set to join Wayne Bennett at South Sydney Rabbitohs in an assistant coach role, according to The Australian Daily Telegraph.

Lee Briers staying away from Super League

The saga surrounding the head coach role at Souths went on for months, after the sacking of Jason Demetriou, with high-profile names such as Sam Burgess reportedly in the mix, but they eventually settled on legendary coach Wayne Bennett.

Now, it seems that they’ll be adding Lee Briers to the ranks from 2025, per The Telegraph.

They reported that Briers is “now keen to have a stint under Bennett and eventually become an NRL head coach”, suggesting that his spell at Souths under the master Wayne Bennett could actually be his final ‘apprenticeship’. That’s the approach that former St Helens boss Kristian Woolf took down under, serving as assistant to Bennett at the Dolphins before stepping into the role next year.

If these reports come to fruition and Briers does depart to join Souths then this may turn out to be a nightmare for Brisbane Broncos and their head coach Kevvie Walters, who following the loss of Cartwright, has now lost two assistant coaches in the space of two weeks, and will need to start the search for a replacement.

Now that Briers won’t be on his way to Hull FC, it’ll now surely be 2026 at the earliest that he gets his first taste of life as a head coach.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/93025-le ... gue-93025/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzie58

Re: NRLFormer Hull FC coaching target Lee Briers lining up huge job

Post by fozzie58 »

Good luck to him if you’re open to learning you learn from the best which in Bennett is right up there good luck to him
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

does this publication ever publish anything new?

Briers turned Hull down weeks ago, but he's still Hull FC target

why would anyone who has a good gig down under, want to take the FC job at the minute. I could understand if it was Wire looking for a coach, and his name was mentioned but not Hull

I think the majority of us on here recognise that Briers is talented, and he'll probably make a good head coach when he gets the opportunity, but at the minute he's got the sun on his back and a job in the biggest RL league in the world, so why come home just yet
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

"After making his mark at St Helens (he played 6 games) he spent 15 years at St Helens"

Serious about rugby league? They don't even proof read their nonsense
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:40 pm "After making his mark at St Helens (he played 6 games) he spent 15 years at St Helens"

I was going to change it but was waiting for someone else to notice it 🤣

Well done it should read Warrington but everyone, even on our own website, proof reading is seldomly used 😂 I’m guilty of it as well 😳😳
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:32 pm
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:40 pm "After making his mark at St Helens (he played 6 games) he spent 15 years at St Helens"

Well done it should read Warrington but everyone, even on our own website, proof reading is seldomly used 😂 I’m guilty of it as well 😳😳
I find journalism in this sport so tedious. Constantly finding faults in articles written by apparent professionals. Commentators getting players names wrong or mixed up. You don't see it in other sports.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:39 pm
josie andrews wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:32 pm

I find journalism in this sport so tedious. Constantly finding faults in articles written by apparent professionals. Commentators getting players names wrong or mixed up. You don't see it in other sports.
I know it’s not just embarrassing it’s as if our sport is an afterthought!