Bevan French

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah
Posts: 4474
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Bevan French

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Flash wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:41 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:08 pm
Flash wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:30 pm

No one is saying he couldn't play or defend! Why do you keep posting what he did for Australia or SOO as if that impacts on what he did for Wigan? I'm sure he never threw a game for Australia or The Blues either but he certainly did for Wigan! There have been so many players in the British game who did this or that in the NRL or at international level who were simply awful over here. Some unbelievably so! You can't argue "well they were good in Australia so it proves they were good over here". That's just ridiculous.

And before you say it ..no, I'm not saying Kenny was awful over here. He was, for the most part, brilliant. However, he was awful post Wembley. That's simply a fact and something that he took tremendous stick for at the time. In the context of this thread, that's something that needs to be taken into consideration.
Quite simply because the question put was, 'Is he up there for the best Australian we’ve ever brought over to the club' It doesn't say which Australian player played best for Wigan or which Australian played well in more than one position, consequently I have given my opinion on who I think is the greatest Australian who has pulled the cherry and white shirt on. Brett Kenny, in my view, is one of the all time greats. Bevan has been absolutely fantastic for Wigan but his rugby career is not comparable with Kenny.
I think you're being pedantic there Chariots. If you're simply saying the 'best Australian' then he doesn't need to be a player and that would then be John Monie, so you're still wrong ;) In fact, if you're saying best Australian it doesn't even need to have anything to do with ability because "best" could mean "nicest person" or any other measure you care to apply.

"Best for Wigan" was implied in the statement otherwise it has no point of reference.
Ok mate no point in taking this any further we shall have to differ.
Charriots Offiah
Posts: 4474
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Bevan French

Post by Charriots Offiah »

medlocke wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:20 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:08 pm
Flash wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:30 pm

No one is saying he couldn't play or defend! Why do you keep posting what he did for Australia or SOO as if that impacts on what he did for Wigan? I'm sure he never threw a game for Australia or The Blues either but he certainly did for Wigan! There have been so many players in the British game who did this or that in the NRL or at international level who were simply awful over here. Some unbelievably so! You can't argue "well they were good in Australia so it proves they were good over here". That's just ridiculous.

And before you say it ..no, I'm not saying Kenny was awful over here. He was, for the most part, brilliant. However, he was awful post Wembley. That's simply a fact and something that he took tremendous stick for at the time. In the context of this thread, that's something that needs to be taken into consideration.
Quite simply because the question put was, 'Is he up there for the best Australian we’ve ever brought over to the club' It doesn't say which Australian player played best for Wigan or which Australian played well in more than one position, consequently I have given my opinion on who I think is the greatest Australian who has pulled the cherry and white shirt on. Brett Kenny, in my view, is one of the all time greats. Bevan has been absolutely fantastic for Wigan but his rugby career is not comparable with Kenny.
But Kenny's career outside of Wigan shouldn't have anything to do with the best Aussie at Wigan, the fact he spent so little time at Wigan for says he is not the best, While at Wigan did Kenny win as many trophies and accolades as Bevan, the answer is no, therefore Bevan is the greatest, being a persons favourite player does not make him the greatest. Ang katapusan
He's not my favourite Meds, I am judging this on ability.
medlocke
Posts: 10743
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:57 am
Location: Millom
Contact:

Re: Bevan French

Post by medlocke »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:45 pm
medlocke wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:20 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:08 pm

Quite simply because the question put was, 'Is he up there for the best Australian we’ve ever brought over to the club' It doesn't say which Australian player played best for Wigan or which Australian played well in more than one position, consequently I have given my opinion on who I think is the greatest Australian who has pulled the cherry and white shirt on. Brett Kenny, in my view, is one of the all time greats. Bevan has been absolutely fantastic for Wigan but his rugby career is not comparable with Kenny.
But Kenny's career outside of Wigan shouldn't have anything to do with the best Aussie at Wigan, the fact he spent so little time at Wigan for says he is not the best, While at Wigan did Kenny win as many trophies and accolades as Bevan, the answer is no, therefore Bevan is the greatest, being a persons favourite player does not make him the greatest. Ang katapusan
He's not my favourite Meds, I am judging this on ability.
Fair enough
moto748
Posts: 4845
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:30 pm

Re: Bevan French

Post by moto748 »

Still, we're lucky to be having this conversation.
widdenoldboy
Posts: 1923
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Re: Bevan French

Post by widdenoldboy »

moto748 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 12:38 am Still, we're lucky to be having this conversation.
Very good point :)

I'll throw Pat Richards into the mix as someone who gave his all for us and produced some magic moments.
Being controversial, the very best Aussie we signed was Wally Lewis but he never played for us for reasons that are still unclear.
On Kenny, the rumour was that he wanted to have another season with us but his missus just wanted to go back to Aus?
User avatar
Firestarter
Posts: 5755
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Bevan French

Post by Firestarter »

George carmont was a decent one
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Nezza Faz
Posts: 1940
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Bevan French

Post by Nezza Faz »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:48 am George carmont was a decent one
Talking centres, Gene Miles was fairly handy.
Probably responsible for enhancing Offiah’s career somewhat ?
medlocke
Posts: 10743
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:57 am
Location: Millom
Contact:

Re: Bevan French

Post by medlocke »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:48 am George carmont was a decent one
Top 5 best Aussies for me
User avatar
Firestarter
Posts: 5755
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Bevan French

Post by Firestarter »

Nezza Faz wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:41 am
Firestarter wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:48 am George carmont was a decent one
Talking centres, Gene Miles was fairly handy.
Probably responsible for enhancing Offiah’s career somewhat ?
Just a tad
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
User avatar
Firestarter
Posts: 5755
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Bevan French

Post by Firestarter »

medlocke wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:24 am
Firestarter wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:48 am George carmont was a decent one
Top 5 best Aussies for me
Really? I thought he was namibian like Andre Stoop 😀
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Post Reply