Danny orr

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ChrisA

Re: Danny orr

Post by ChrisA »

adrenalinxx posted:
captinjack posted:
People get at Kev Brown, but he is never allowed to settle into any regular position. I think that anyone is better at stand off than that Castleford mistake.
If a player wants to keep their position they have to play well and Kevin Brown has not played well in any position. Why should we play Kevin Brown and hope that he will become a good player, if he want to play for Wigan then he should show the players and fans that he is good enough.

Everyone criticizes our half backs for not creating anything but which players set up the tries we did score against Castleford and Bradford?
It was Danny Orr and Denis Moran. Maybe it's not the half backs that are the problem but the player who are meant to be running onto the ball. How can half back create anything if there are no players running onto the ball and trying to get through the gaps?

There are worse half backs in Super League than Moran and Orr, McGuire and Harris are not creative players yet get a lot of praise but only because the players around them are putting in the hard work. McGuire scored 4 tries against Quins but created nothing and didn't make any breaks himself just finished off other peoples. We are way too hard on the half back and we let them take the blame when maybe we should be looking at other players who are supposed to support the half backs.
Good post indeed in my eyes. This is what I've said all season, and last season. They are far from faultless I know that, but if they had willing runners regular and took the wrong options contiunually I would slag them off to high heaven. Thing is they dont, they have no dummy runners to utilise and usually one runner, the guy who is taking the ball. That creates no doubt at all in the mind of the defenders, we just make it to easy for the opposition to read.
Then when nothing happens we try to force the pass, thing is when the attacking line is so flat, any long balls risk floating forward or being intercepted, or going into to touch as the man its ment for has over run the pass. All these thing just make the halves look awful, basically we need a deeper line with dummy runners aswel as the guy taking the pass. Until then whoever plays in the halves is going to look awful.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Fair point however doesn't excuse the kicking errors, im not one for just slaggin off cos to me its unproductive, however i think there is a lot of passing the blame e.g moran and orr dont have the support, Calderwood isn't getting enough of the ball etc etc. This all maybe true but great players like robison made their on path and great half-backs like edwards, paul or botica had the skill to go it themselves and make stuff happen if there weren't enough runners. I think the main problem at wigan is we have 2 supporting half-backs. We could do with a little inspirtation a (dare i say it) luke robinson who is a little bit cheeky and a bit more create something from nothing. I do think your right and our half-backs aren't getting the support they need but if such is the case they need to call the plays get the players they need or think of something else on the spot not try and bundle through a move that could never come off.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Wigan_forever19 85 posted:
Fair point however doesn't excuse the kicking errors, im not one for just slaggin off cos to me its unproductive, however i think there is a lot of passing the blame e.g moran and orr dont have the support, Calderwood isn't getting enough of the ball etc etc. This all maybe true but great players like robison made their on path and great half-backs like edwards, paul or botica had the skill to go it themselves and make stuff happen if there weren't enough runners. I think the main problem at wigan is we have 2 supporting half-backs. We could do with a little inspirtation a (dare i say it) luke robinson who is a little bit cheeky and a bit more create something from nothing. I do think your right and our half-backs aren't getting the support they need but if such is the case they need to call the plays get the players they need or think of something else on the spot not try and bundle through a move that could never come off.
They had the option to go themsleves because tre opposition were always guessing as to what we were going to do as a team. When the game is easy to read its easy to mark players out of the game. Don't get me wrong, I know Moran and Orr are not in the same bracket as the players you mentioned, but the other players you mentioned always had time on the ball because we were better organised as a team. We always gave each other options, everyone worked together in attack and defence.
Leyther Pie

Post by Leyther Pie »

Speaking to IM on sat night and he said that orr had gone down funny but was hoping that he would be fit for sunday against wakey. He also said hock about eight weeks away!!!
I've never felt more like singing the Blues
When the Wiganers win and the Leythers lose.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Leeds are notorious for utilising a "flat attack", but Burrow & McGuire do OK with it. They have that unpredictability that our halves don't, plus the speed to exploit breaks fully, which, again, ours don't.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Leyther Pie posted:
Speaking to IM on sat night and he said that orr had gone down funny but was hoping that he would be fit for sunday against wakey.
He's out for a month with medial ligament damage.