WHO CAN STOP SAINTS RUNNING AWAY WITH THE LEAGUE

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jimofwigan

WHO CAN STOP SAINTS RUNNING AWAY WITH THE LEAGUE

Post by jimofwigan »

I hate to say this but who are going to stop Saints?
They have managed the sallary cap better than any club in the league. They have persueded Sculthorp ,Cunningham Lyons Whellens,Long and other stars to work for less money thus retaining the best for less. They also recruit a coach who has found ways to flout the transparity rule on team squads without redress e.g the Phantom injury to Whellens.
If you add to this the"rub of the green"the sway of the refs and their new found ability to defend the line ------
Who can beat them? :wink: :wink: :wink:
superleague

Re: WHO CAN STOP SAINTS RUNNIN...

Post by superleague »

not us.
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

They won't stay as strong as they are now. They'll get their fair share of injuries (hopefully) but at the moment they are running a bit wild so someones got to stay on their tails to keep them under pressure. If they win the league i don't want it to be easy for them, they've got to work for it at least! Other than that, I don't really care. If we were competing in that top 6 it might be a bit more sickening but it's really not, we've got our own worries without worrying about where they might finish!
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
cpwigan

Re: WHO CAN STOP SAINTS RU...

Post by cpwigan »

The bad joke answer would be Terry Newton :D

However, currently, nobody! The best compliment I can pay Saints is they attack through defence like the great Lowe/Monie Wigan teams did. If anything they are now far more conservative than ever before but they have the confidence/self belief to grind the opposition down if required.

The reality check though is that Leeds were much the same last year at this stage and the rails fell off. Is it too early to be playing so well? still it beats playing so badly (Wigan). I forsee Saints, Leeds and Bradford being the top 3 with ease. That does not mean Saints early season dominance will transfer into end of season glory.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

I'm with MrsLam on this one - who cares! Let's worry about our own team, not anyone else's.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I agree with concentrating on ourselves but I could not help but be impressed by their effort v hull in the first half.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

sts to win the hub cap the challenge cup but nothing else :conf: :conf: :o
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

TWO EYED WARRIOR posted:
For the last few seasons saints have started like a house on fire but they then push the self destruct button at some stage this year they will begin to lose games and then there coach and teams spirit will be tested
Lets be realistic no one player makes a team but they would have had a greater chance of winning the title last year if our Terry hadnt of taken matters into his own hand, i am not trying to be funny or flipant here but if you look at the eventual winners they had there full first choice squad avaliable losing there scrum half and probable leading try scorer they would stand a greater chance of winning.
As much as it pains me to say it i dont think it was a matter of them pressing the self destruct button it was pressed for them.Someone posted about the fluency in attack and liking it to Monie era and i can see there point of view, they play to there strengths unlike us who need to re evaluate where our strengths lie. :(
mikey

Post by mikey »

Take out Jamie Lyon and sign up the medical staff who patched up Wellens,move to some rundown stadium and make everyone grow a beard.Sorry Vaeliki you would still be .... with one.
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

jimofwigan posted:
I hate to say this but who are going to stop Saints?
They have managed the sallary cap better than any club in the league. They have persueded Sculthorp ,Cunningham Lyons Whellens,Long and other stars to work for less money thus retaining the best for less. They also recruit a coach who has found ways to flout the transparity rule on team squads without redress e.g the Phantom injury to Whellens.
If you add to this the"rub of the green"the sway of the refs and their new found ability to defend the line ------
Who can beat them? :wink: :wink: :wink:
I think it's more a case of what goes around comes around. with a ground that can only hold around 13k (I think), how can they afford to pay all of these top level players without massaging the salary cap figures.
slippery Jack is in there and if we have agent Millward, it is merely a counter attack on us for sneaking slippery Jack in to undermine Stains from within.

Remember the days of sack the jack?
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered