Farrar leaving?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Farrar leaving?

Post by GeoffN »

in The Sidney Morning Herald article:

"...former St George Illawarra coach Andrew Farrar is not expected to be offered the Wigan post.
Insiders say Farrar will join the coaching staff of Michael Hagan at Parramatta next year."

WiganWarrior

Re: Farrar leaving?

Post by WiganWarrior »

Farrar can go, Bring back Lam, Edwards and Faz between them they would kick the team into shape lead well, coach well and show some real passion
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
bertina

Post by bertina »

WiganWarrior posted:
Farrar can go, Bring back Lam, Edwards and Faz between them they would kick the team into shape lead well, coach well and show some real passion
I don't understand all this hysteria about Edwards coming as coach, and farrell coming as player/ coach.
Don't get me wrong, I have always been a great fan of both as players, but neither of them have any experience at all as rugby league coaches, and at the moment the last thing that we can afford is a period of learning.We need a coach who will command immediate respect from the players, and who will not be afraid to kick a few a----s if players form on the field, or off field antics do not meet with his approval.
No one was more upset than me to see Faz leave Wigan, but lets not forget he hasn't played a game of rugby for almost 2 years, and has had considerable spells within that time when he has not been able to train. How can he be anything like fit to play superleague?
Faz was a fantastic servant to Wigan as a player but I am afraid those days have gone. As a coach I would love to see him back at Wigan at some stage in a coaching capacity, but not as head coach/ player coach at the moment with the situation we are in.
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

GeoffN posted:
in The Sidney Morning Herald article:

"...former St George Illawarra coach Andrew Farrar is not expected to be offered the Wigan post.
Insiders say Farrar will join the coaching staff of Michael Hagan at Parramatta next year."

to me that says noble at 1 and lam as his assistant ith all the talk going around, but that might be me dreaming again.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
wiganrldeanh

Post by wiganrldeanh »

bertina posted:
I don't understand all this hysteria about Edwards coming as coach, and farrell coming as player/ coach.
Don't get me wrong, I have always been a great fan of both as players, but neither of them have any experience at all as rugby league coaches, and at the moment the last thing that we can afford is a period of learning.We need a coach who will command immediate respect from the players, and who will not be afraid to kick a few a----s if players form on the field, or off field antics do not meet with his approval.
No one was more upset than me to see Faz leave Wigan, but lets not forget he hasn't played a game of rugby for almost 2 years, and has had considerable spells within that time when he has not been able to train. How can he be anything like fit to play superleague?
Faz was a fantastic servant to Wigan as a player but I am afraid those days have gone. As a coach I would love to see him back at Wigan at some stage in a coaching capacity, but not as head coach/ player coach at the moment with the situation we are in.
at the moment we need a coach that can lift the team and know when too give em a kick up the a**e!!!
woz9

Post by woz9 »

[/quote] at the moment we need a coach that can lift the team and know when too give em a kick up the a**e!!![/quote]

Totally agree, i dont care who it is! As long as we can break this depression and lack of confidence!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

bertina posted:

It is IMO easier to make a case for Edwards than Farrell.

Edwards has displayed many attributes a coach needs at Wasps. He is a top coach at RU doing all the man management and coaching that goes with the job.

He is a keen follower of RL (and I don't just mean as a fan) and I think he would take five minutes to have a defensive pattern in place to plug our leaky defence for example.

His attitude is also just what we need. I think he oculd hack it no problem.

Farell as player coach? Not on his own. Appointing farrell would be with an eye to on-field problems of lack of leadership rather than addressing the coaching.

Lam? People must be joking with this one. Great player but has only coached juniors here and been assistant for a short while in the NRL. I actually think despite him being in RU Edwards ticks more boxes on the coaching check list then Lam.

Lam also comes with some baggage about being as fond of the ale as some of our current players are rumoured to be so how he could sort out any off-field lack of professionalism when he would be buying the first round I don't know.

Dave
si_bax

Post by si_bax »

We need something, i am interested to c how farrar does as stand in coach 2moro, if we get the win, he might get offered the job full time. i cant see brian noble leaving bradford for wigan at the moment
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

si_bax posted:
We need something, i am interested to c how farrar does as stand in coach 2moro, if we get the win, he might get offered the job full time. i cant see brian noble leaving bradford for wigan at the moment
i can think of the challange to put the best team in rl back top of the pile
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

TWO EYED WARRIOR posted:
Doug Stand posted:
DaveO posted: It is IMO easier to make a case for Edwards than Farrell.

Dave
Totall agree Dave. Edwards has something of a decent pedigree at coaching.
There is always this romance about former players and coaches from fans in this situation.

Farrell was a decent player and I hope for his sake he continues to be so. If Farell is to come back to Wigan, I'd like him to come back now as a player and forget this nonsense about coaching.

I would love Ellery Hanley back at the club, but again that's me reminising about the greatest player ever seen at Wigan. I would hate for the King to come back and be the coach that is in charge when we go down.

Whoever takes the job has got to be a strong character and be able to work with a poor standard of players and make them better.
Just one concern i would have about edwards is that hes been out of RL for some considerable time.

I know he hung around with Wayne Bennett a few years ago but the game moves on a bit so i think he would need to just bring himself back upto speed with the game
Could be a good be a good thing we need to get back to old school basics haha
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR