lindseys opinion of the salary cap

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
the grinch

lindseys opinion of the salary cap

Post by the grinch »

Click here to create a new message

Re: The Salary Cap - Reduction - Maurice Lindsay (16:00, Wed 07 Jan)
Personally, I'm all for abolishing the salary cap. Now I know all of you will think I have performed a U turn as I was one of the people who fought to bring the salary cap in, for the good of our great game in the first place(not in the interests of WIGAN at all).

As many people may remember, (my beloved)WIGAN nearly went bankrupt by paying over inflated salaries to players.

During my time on the board of Super League Europe, a post I took to ensure that Rugby League would be at the pinacle of sports in our country(not to ensure WIGAN stayed at the pinacle of Super League, HONEST!!!) I was responsible for the introduction of the salary cap.

Initially the salary cap worked in the interests of our great game(WIGAN, as I could no longer afford to buy success and were forced to blood many youngsters who have flourished into one of the best crop of young players in Super League) as it created a more level playing field which in turn has ensured a competitive and exciting competition.

You all know that I am talking sense, for it was I who was partly responsible for reducing the overseas quota in order to ensure youth development and more importantly a Great Britain team capable of competing with and beating the Aussies (nothing to do with the fact that I could no longer afford to attract big name overseas stars to join WIGAN due to the salary cap).

I urge you all to join me in my quest to abolish the salary cap(because all those youngsters who we got away with paying peanuts to have matured into first team regulars who in turn are demanding higher salaries and quite coincidently Joey Johns and Gorden Tallis are out of contract at the end of the season and we ain't got a prayer of signing them both with the salary cap in place).

Wigan have been punished for developing youth players ie. Johnson, Briscoe and Bibey by investing in them only to have to release them due to salary cap restraints (nothing to do with the fact that WIGAN have spent their salaries on signing Danny Orr and Quentin Pongia).

And it is not only Wigan who are victims of the salary cap my friends, Castleford were poised to sign Stacey Jones, Adrian Morley, Robbie Kearns and more importantly Hazem El Masri to solve your goal kicking crisis with Ryan Girdler at centre to cover the kicking duties should El Masri be injured!!!

dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
DaveO

Re: lindseys opinion of the sa...

Post by DaveO »

There is one slight problem with your post.

The salary cap that came in when Lindsay was at Wigan the last time or when he went off to SL (I can't remember where he was when it was introduced) was the 50% cap rule.

That is any clubs could only spend up to 50% of its income on wages BUT there was NO wage ceiling.

If your club earned £10 million a year then you could spend £5 million on wages leaving a nice pot for ground improvements or whatever and ensuring that the club did not go bust.

Lindsay was in favour of that form of capping.

The current salary cap is different, was not introduced by Lindsay and is a flat rate cap that currently allows a club to spend a maximum of £1.8 million no matter how much they earn.

Lindsay is as far as I am aware in favour of this type of cap IF it is set at a level that allows RL to retain players in the face of competition from richer RU clubs.

There is also a rule that says if clubs turn over less than £3.6 million then they can't spend any more than 50% of their turnover. So a smaller club like Cas for example that (for arguments sake say) turns over £2 million will only be allowed to spend £1 million on players wages.

The current suggestion by Write of Castleford is to scrap the 50% rule (because it does not suit Cas) and to lower the maximum level of the cap to £1.5 million because having it at £1.8 million does not suit his club either (presumably because they have not got hope in hell of generating enough income to spend that much money).

So if you want to have a pop at a self-centred club chairman have a go at him.

What this idiot fails to grasp is that even with a low inflation economy we don't have zero inflation so just leaving it at 1.8 million is an effective decrease each year.

FYI the cheif Architects of the current £1.8 million salary cap were Chris Caisley and Gary Hethrington with the latter being quoted as saying at the time of its introduction a mere two seasons ago that only one club (Wigan) would struggle to meet the cap and that the original level of £1.3 million suggested by the smaller clubs was unworkable for the very same reasons Lindsay is objecting to a lowering of the cap limit today.

Dave
the grinch

Re: lindseys opinion of th...

Post by the grinch »

this isn't my post its a letter from castleford tigers web site and as far as i can tell it is from lindsey himself i just copied it onto our web site
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
Mike
Site Admin

Re: lindseys opinion of th...

Post by Mike »

Its not Lindsay, its taking the mickey. :eh:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐