WHO SHOULD BE OUR 1-5

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
taskmaster

WHO SHOULD BE OUR 1-5

Post by taskmaster »

WITH A FULLY FIT SQUAD
- psycho -

Re: WHO SHOULD BE OUR 1-5

Post by - psycho - »

1. pat richards (id try him there as he has played there for west tigers before)

2. calderwood (not really shined yet but i believe with a good centre and a bit more ball in hand he will do fine)

3. ashton (big, strong and fast, not a bad tackler either, id give him a go here)

4. goulding (id give young darrell goulding a chance because ive heard good things and he didnt seem bad at the saitns game)

5. dallas (need i say anymore?)
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

1. Dallas - the most reliable option in the current squad (Ashton is dodgy positioning wise IMO)

2. Richards - get him on the wing where he belongs

3. Goulding - looked pretty good against Stains

4. Vaealiki/Ashton/Gleeson - DV if no one else, or give Ashton or Gleeson a go

5. Calderwood - for good sake make him some space and give him the ball

1 is covered by Dallas 1st choice and Ashton second.
2+5 are Richards and Calderwood, covered by Dallas and many kids
3+4 are the positions that need strenghtening ASAP (also number 7!). There are no effective options in the squad at present.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Mike posted:
1. Dallas - the most reliable option in the current squad (Ashton is dodgy positioning wise IMO)

Got to agree with this.

1. Dallas
2. Calderwood
3. Ashton
4. Goulding/Gleeson
5. Richards

Ashton looks more of a centre than a fullback to me - strong, fast and brave - kind of everything DV is not. I would pair Ashton with Calderwood as I think that he would be great at supporting Ashton; as he's the only person in the team who is faster.

DV has had his chance - I don't care about the cap this year - if we survive the drop we DON'T want him here next year, pay him off and send him home now - it's not like we'll miss him.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

Matthew posted:
Mike posted:

Got to agree with this.

1. Dallas
2. Calderwood
3. Ashton
4. Goulding/Gleeson
5. Richards

Ashton looks more of a centre than a fullback to me - strong, fast and brave - kind of everything DV is not. I would pair Ashton with Calderwood as I think that he would be great at supporting Ashton; as he's the only person in the team who is faster.

DV has had his chance - I don't care about the cap this year - if we survive the drop we DON'T want him here next year, pay him off and send him home now - it's not like we'll miss him.
i think you will find ashton is a tad bit faster than calderwood. calders is fast but ashton is faster.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

It doesn't really matter who is the fastest out of the two of them - I just think that they would make a good centre/wing partnership and it would save Calderwood having to make twice as many tackles because DV is unable or not bothered about making tackles and let him save some energy for charging down the wing.

It would also give Calderwood someone who has pace to support, rather than jogging behind DV as he takes the tackle - I am pretty sure both Ashton and Calderwodd can hop faster than carthorse Dave takes the ball up
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Mike posted:

1 is covered by Dallas 1st choice and Ashton second.
2+5 are Richards and Calderwood, covered by Dallas and many kids
3+4 are the positions that need strenghtening ASAP (also number 7!). There are no effective options in the squad at present.
that sounds good to me but i would leave vialeki out or at least on the bench
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

1) Ashton
2) Calderwood
3) Dallas
4) Goulding
5) Richards

Reserve centres - Gleeson (right side) Walker (left side) If a winger is injured, Dallas replaces them.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

One thing, you guys think it is easy switching from left to right and so on. It aint. Most players have a definite preference.
stevocod

Post by stevocod »

1: Dallas - good in open space and good under the high ball.

2: Colbon - Never really let Wigan down in any part of his game and had a notable game against Hull last year.

3: Gleeson - Needs more games and i think he would benefit from experience in the same position with the same players week in week out as the rest of the new players.

4: Richards - Tall winger/centre i think his height will help him offload 2 Dallas like Vaeliki did early last season, but alot quicker and athletic.

5: Dallas - Has proven himself time and again no need 2 argue his selection.