Give up kevin brown!!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bikerharry

Re: Give up kevin brown!!!

Post by bikerharry »

jimofwigan posted:
bikerharry posted:
I'm with Psycho on this one. We won, and we won convincingly and most of all, the players seemed to be enjoying their rugby for the first time this season. I agree Brown has been disapointing this season, but I just think he need to find his place in the team and he'll do a good job for us. I know it's early days, but hopefuly the bad times are behind us, so lets get behind the players now and show the rest of the league Wigan won't just roll over and die. Well done Lads, if we play like that for the rest of the season, I'll be happy.
Browns played left centre, right centre' full back & stand off and needs stability just like the rest of the club. But he has pace a great side-step which he demonstrated when he scored against the quins and when he put Dallas in against Huddersfield. I trust Noble to get the best out of this lad.Remember thats all he is' he's has had to play first team football befre he was 18 and is only 21
I agree, that was my point about him finding his place in the team. I think letting Brown go would be one of those decissions that comes back to haunt us big time. I rate the lad and I think your right, Noble will be able to bring the best out in him.
bec-wigan-4lyf

Post by bec-wigan-4lyf »

i think everyone is being abit harsh on him...i would like to see you lot get out there and play instead of him see if you can do any better if you can then i could understand you slaging him off like this...he may not be the best player on the field just give him chance he could get better...and if he doesn't then get rid off him or have him playing in the under 21s...if we get rid off him maybe we would end up regretting it like we have done with alot of players
wigan til i die i no i am im sure i am im wigan til i die!!
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

waterside glens posted:
. oh and he,s to small
Compared to whom? Rob Burrow? Danny Maguire? Luke Robinson? You can't say any of these three wouldn't get a game in Cherry and White this season. He's too small for the positions he has to cover possibly, but not for playing in the halves where he should be.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
turf

Post by turf »

He wants about three pies, and about two plates of chips inside him to beef him up a bit. He's worse than, or on par with DV.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

He may well make a good player. But at the moment he's far too small (not in height before you start saying rob burrow etc etc) if you look at the guys he came up with, they have all bulked up and grown as players. Browns still showing the potential he showed 3 years ago on his debut, its about time he started converting that into something. I dont think hes a stand off so its unfair to say that, he may make a good left centre and if not, then he'd be useful to have as a utility player. But i think we'll be hard pushed to see him hold down a position and shake off that utility player tag!
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
HindleyGreen28

Post by HindleyGreen28 »

No doubt he needs to bulk up, but we have to consider that doing this will probably partly blunt his biggest weapon - his pace and sidestep. However, the biggest problem for the time being is his tackling, he seems nervous and jumpy every time he has to make a tackle, and actively avoids making a one on one tackle, which obviously makes him somewhat of a liability.
However, the positive side is that hopefully Nobby will work wonders on him and sort his technique out, size isnt the be all and end all of defense work. so fingers cross we will be able to concentrate on his strength, that being his attacking game soon. :eusa10:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Firstly v Hudds. His defence was found wanting at times but his attack was okay. One important factor, we actually passed the ball from right to left far more and much quicker. What has happened it the team has evolved from a very left sided team with Faz playing down that flank to one that is now predominantly right sided with O'Loughlin and Fletcher favouring that side.

Overall. I hate it because people are convinced he is BUT Kevin Brown is no stand-off. WHY? because he is totally left sided. He cannot pass from right to left. He cannot kick very well. What talent does he have? He hits defensive holes very very well, he's got a step and good speed. Those are centre qualities but he can only do it on the left hand side. When he came into the team he had Faz and Hock on the left hand side, he only had to support them, time his run and he would be in for a try.

He's a left centre, a left centre who needs to improve his defence and part of the reason he needs to improve it is this club coches young players wrongly. They are told to forget tackling around the legs, that's in the past they are told. You must tackle above the ball, to take man and ball. Now that's great if your 6ft 4 and 16 or 17 stone but people have to tackle according to their physical attributed. Andrew Johns is one of the finest tacklers in this sport, he never ever tackles the way Wigan's youth development team would instruct him to.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

mrs_carney posted:
But i think we'll be hard pushed to see him hold down a position and shake off that utility player tag!
He couldn't shake off a cold. In all honesty, he just hasn't come on in the three years since Mo said that Brown and Robinson were a future GB half back pairing. He got it half right though, I think Robinson will play for GB at some point.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

HindleyGreen28 posted:
No doubt he needs to bulk up, but we have to consider that doing this will probably partly blunt his biggest weapon - his pace and sidestep. However, the biggest problem for the time being is his tackling, he seems nervous and jumpy every time he has to make a tackle, and actively avoids making a one on one tackle, which obviously makes him somewhat of a liability.
However, the positive side is that hopefully Nobby will work wonders on him and sort his technique out, size isnt the be all and end all of defense work. so fingers cross we will be able to concentrate on his strength, that being his attacking game soon. :eusa10:
Some people are strong naturally and that covers for their lack of size, Brown has no real strength and no size at all, that's a bad combination, and it's shown up way to often.

As you say though size isn't everything(pardon the pun). Technique is the most important part when it comes to defending, he falls short in this are too. He goes high way to often and gets palmed off way too easily. All in all, he is a very average player who has been overhyped way too much. We have let far better players go over the past few seasons. Barring the finger of God touching him and turning him into the next Tony Myler, I cant see Noble retaining him come the end of the season.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Brown looked like a very promising prospect when he first hit the scene his main problem is his size. Its effecting his whole game i think over the last 2 years or superleague packs have gone massive especially in the center and i think brown has just been left behind the bunch. His passing i think is quite good and he shows promise but he is just too small. I heard people mention burrow, maguire and robison are also small yeah thats true but kevins build is wrong he is gangley and it makes him easy target for tacklers, the three that are mentioned above are short and stocky and go underneath the tackles mostly. I feel that he needs to bulk up, he needs to be dropped down into the academy side and find his true position whether it be stand off or center and work at it there till hes ready to join the "big boys"
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure