Opinion Time

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Martin Taylor

Re: Opinion Time

Post by Martin Taylor »

Oh a tough one! Faz as an all round player. Hanley was incredible to watch. Kenny when he was in the mood was sheer class. Offiah, probably the most natural winger the game has seen! And lets not forget Greggory and Edwards!
LooseHead

Post by LooseHead »

Best - Dean Bell

Favourite - Martin Dermott or Adrian Shelford
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Fawdoffshed posted:
Considering he was clueless when he first started playing for Wigan, I have to say the player that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up was Vaiga Tuigamala. If he'd have come into the game a couple of years earlier, he would have easily become the best player in the world. On top of that, he was and remains a very nice human being. Another player up there with him is the one and only Frano Botica, the best goal kicker it has been my privilege to see.
same as me!!! on page 3
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Im lucky to have been a kid during the "glory days" watching all the recent greats, even though i was young i knew what was what. Phil clarke, dennis betts going to my church every week (mum dragged me there), going to home/away/ a-team matches every week it was great! got to know the players, not personally though.

I think the people who put down farrell or radlinski are the younger ones, post-central park wiganers because to be honest, those are perhaps the only 2 great players from the JJB era (probably lam, robinson).

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

ancientnloyal posted:
those are perhaps the only 2 great players from the JJB era (probably lam, robinson).
Jason only played one game at the JJB, didn't he? Of the post-1999 players (excluding Faz and Rads who were there before), I'd go for Lam but perhaps also Dallas. Can't think of any more though - great as Renouf was, his best years were Down Under.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

For me it has to be Offiah - he was the main reason that I got interested in RL.

His pace was awesome to watch as was his ability to score end to end tries. He was top try scorer so many seasons in a row.

I also really enjoyed having Jason Robinson on the other wing - the two of them complimented each other perfectly.

Other than that, I was always a big fan of Frano Botica; who is remembered for being an awesome goal kicker, but was also a very creative stand off and loved playing for Wigan.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I forgot dallas, but thinking about it, mick cassidy was an unsung hero i think.

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
standishcat

Post by standishcat »

Cassidy is unsung! I was a kid during the early 90s and remember Botica, Tuiga, Offiah, Edwards and Robinson.

Best: Edwards
Favourite: BOTICA :D
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Ive routed out an old Tuigamala #2 jersey from good old days.. might wear it at Hull on sunday!!!

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
ince warrior

Post by ince warrior »

my favourite ever player has to be jason robinson... for me it's no contest and i was gutted when he went playing ru
WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGAN!!!

WRLFC & SCFC FOR LIFE!!!

WE HATE LATICS, SAINTS, MACCLESFIELD, BURNLEY, CITY, LEEDS, WIRE AND WREXHAM!!!!