Opinion Time

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ragman

Re: Opinion Time

Post by ragman »

Doug Stand posted:
I had to smile at David Stephenson being the best centre other than Gene Miles. Stephenson was a decent enough player and a handy goalkicker, but as good as Miles???? .
No, I'm not saying that DS was as good as Gene Miles, just that I think that if he'd have been playing today, with today's training and diet regimes, and if he'd had the commitment to do it, he would have been a true great. His timing, size, and rugby brain would have made him better than any British centre playing today, and would have put the likes of Senior to shame.

I think he was playing out of his time, that's all.
HindleyGreen28

Post by HindleyGreen28 »

All this makes me realise how all of our big names have dissapeared, even in the last 18 months theres Farrell, Radlinski, Newton, Carney. There arent really any big names left, only Fletcher, and maybe O' Loughlin. I think Feka is definately gonna be a big name for the future, I hope he stays here for a while, we need players like him.
Welski

Post by Welski »

Best Edwards/Robinson
Fav Connolly
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

Best- Ellery Hanley, Brett Kenny(miracle man)
Favourite- Gene Miles, Inga Tuigamala
taskmaster

Post by taskmaster »

BEST-STEVE FERGUSON,SHAUN EDWARDS
FAVOURITE-HENDERSON GILL,KRIS RADLINSKI
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

taskmaster posted:
BEST-STEVE FERGUSON,SHAUN EDWARDS
FAVOURITE-HENDERSON GILL,KRIS RADLINSKI
:lol:
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

The best player i have seen play is Andy farrel. If we are commenting on nrl it would be andrew johns above every1.
My favourite players are wayne godwin and chris ashton and feka between them three.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
MarkWestStand

Post by MarkWestStand »

Edwards by a long shot (Future England RU defense coach since Joe Lydon / Phil Larder got the push)

Then probably Farrell

Then the IRO's on top form unstoppable

PS I am younger than Stanley Gene!! (Other thread) so cannot comment on Boston and Co.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

MarkWestStand posted:
Edwards by a long shot (Future England RU defense coach since Joe Lydon / Phil Larder got the push)

Then probably Farrell

Then the IRO's on top form unstoppable

PS I am younger than Stanley Gene!! (Other thread) so cannot comment on Boston and Co.
And therefore the next whipping boy when things go crap for them.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

GeoffN posted:
Billy Boston.
Nethen Geoff!

I vaugly remember Boston (I think) thundering down the wing at CP.Me and and our kid were both nippers and were just sat by the touchlne on the grass "playing". Our father then held a seaon ticket on the "ringside".

Given that I know my age and that I know that you are not retired and that Boston played his best rugby 45 years ago I take exception with "the best that you have ever seen.

As we can roughly guess your age (because you are working) The Boston that you saw was not the legendary player but a shadow of his former great self and not as good as either Ferguson and Offiah who you must have seen later.