4th OFFICIAL STOPS PENALTIES!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
oldtimer

Re: 4th OFFICIAL STOPS PEN...

Post by oldtimer »

Have you got the radio wavelength yet?[the one your mate told you about] :wink: :wink:
Pie Eyed

Post by Pie Eyed »

Right. Enough of this.

I haven't been on this board in about 2 years, and I come back to find a discussion about me.

The following points are FACT:

1. There is a "man in the stands" that is miked up at every game, that I refer to as "the 4th official". Whether this is the video ref, someone in the director's box, or the guy handling interchanges I neither know nor care.

2. This 4th official (although denied by Cummings earlier this season) gives "encouragement", advice and pointers to the ref:
"Good decision that"
"Watch Fletcher. He's creeping up at the PTB" (actual one from Friday)
"Watch Cas. They're all creeping up at the PTB. Take them back a "good" 10" (actual one from Friday, after which he starts taking Cas back 12-13mt at each PTB.
"You've given Wigan 5 penalties on the trot. It's psychological against Cas. Level it up a bit before you give any more" (actual one from Friday that seems to be causing a lot of arguments)

3. I have no "proof" of the comment, as my scanner does not record. However, it happened, and if you want to deny it/bury your head in the sand, then feel free.

4. The "Ref's Call" that people are talking about would not have picked this up (even if the RFL had actually got their act together and put them on the market). That only picked up the referee's microphone, and not the "global" channel that the ref listens on as well.

5. Whoever keeps asking for the channel as "proof" that I listen - 820.250 for the "global" channel at the JJB (it is different at different grounds), or 590.400 for just the ref's mic (at least that was last year's and I can't see it changing - Never use that one now).
Not that that actually proves anything, but if you would like to listen to 820.250 then you will hear exactly what I hear.

6. Whoever said that I wouldn't hear it over the crowd noise - I have an earpiece permanently in place so that I can talk to my friends/join in with the singing through one ear and listen PERFECTLY to the officials through the other.
They are talking directly into a microphone each, which if THEY can hear clearly, SO CAN I !!!!!

7. If you want a scanner, make sure that it covers the relevant channels (some only go up to 400MHz), and just grab one from ebay (mine cost me £80 on there 2 years ago)

Believe it or not, IT HAPPENED. Whether you choose to believe it is up to you. I don't say things just for the hell of it. If you would like to talk "in person" to check my credibility (like that means anything) - Then I am the biker at every match, with "Nobby's Nuts 06" on the back of my shirt. Come and have a listen if you don't believe me.

Lastly, "From A to B", let me know who you are. I don't know your username on this board as I haven't posted here (like I said) for about 2 years. Thanks for defending me though (even though I only just found out about the "argument")
:blush:
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Well, that's that put to bed! :)
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

Hey i saw you in the JS lounge on Fri, remembered your shirt ! Will see you there next home game to chat about this, if thats ok ?
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

Hi Pie Eyed.
sorry if my initial posting has caused you grief, it wasn't my intention to cause trouble. As I have said in earlier postings, if I had heard this 3rd hand I wouldn't have posted it.
Now, who am I you ask?
We were talking about the incident in the bar (next to Linzi and her mum and dad). I've know you to talk to for a couple of seasons now.
ring any bells?
anyway, I'll get you a drink by way of an apology at the Saints game.
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Pie Eyed posted:
Right. Enough of this.

I haven't been on this board in about 2 years, and I come back to find a discussion about me.

The following points are FACT:

1. There is a "man in the stands" that is miked up at every game, that I refer to as "the 4th official". Whether this is the video ref, someone in the director's box, or the guy handling interchanges I neither know nor care.
Right, OK, you've got my attention now, thanks for posting Pie Eyed.

To clarify though for when you pose the question, the people miked up are the referee, his touch judges, the Match Commisioner (man in the stand that you probably heard) and the Video Referee. The 4th Official is the fella that stands near the techincal areas and sorts out interchanges, he has no contact with the referee, so don't ask whether the 4th Official said anything because the answer will definately be no and he won't be lying.
oldtimer

Post by oldtimer »

will you have your scanner with you at the next home game?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

3. I have no proof of the comment, as my scanner does not record.
Now that's a pity. Can you imagine the reaction of the Radio Manc team if you played that over the air on the radio phone in?

Whatever the correct title of the official who offers the ref this sort of "encouragement" is, I think the controversy over this says he ought to be done away with and the ref ought to be left go get on with it making his own decisions.

It is a hard enough job for the ref to concentrate on his own job never mind trying to keep some official in the stands happy or follow what they tell him.

Dave

Pie Eyed

Post by Pie Eyed »

OldTimer - Deifinitely. When it comes to matches, the phrase "Don't leave home without it" best sums it up.

RobJoenz - Thanks for clearing that up. So the Match Commissioner is the one causing all the grief.

A-to-B - Don't worry about it mate. No grief for me. Hopefully some awkward questions for Cummings and his ref's/officials.
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

Pie Eyed posted:
OldTimer - Deifinitely. When it comes to matches, the phrase "Don't leave home without it" best sums it up.

RobJoenz - Thanks for clearing that up. So the Match Commissioner is the one causing all the grief.

A-to-B - Don't worry about it mate. No grief for me. Hopefully some awkward questions for Cummings and his ref's/officials.
Take it you have sussed who I am then
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered