BEST/WORST REFS SO FAR THIS YEAR!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
turf

Re: BEST/WORST REFS SO FAR...

Post by turf »

Speaking of Klein, according to the RFL site, he's been appointed our game with Saints on Saturday.

Ganson has got Bradford v Leeds, while KK has got Catalans v Wakefield. I couldn't see who had got Bentham.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

This may stagger you but if you saw the Academy referees you would be astonished how bad things really are. The future SL referees are truly awful. Last weeks Saints v Wigan U18s game was dreadful. 6 Wigan players suffered head injuries / concussion.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Every referee has taken a slating on here (possibly not Silverwood yet this season) but without them the game wouldn't take place. What does everyone suggest, we can't play games without them?

I think the hardest thing they'll have to contend with is the speed of the game, full time players generally between 20 and 30 and a referee that is generally over 30 and refereeing as more a hobby than a career. Even then full time referees (Bentham and Klein) cannot train fulltime as they have community development roles (Lancashire and Yorkshire).

So whilst keeping up with the game is hard enough, they have to get into the best position to see the ball and they have to apply split second thinking all at the same time. Not an easy task I wouldn't have thought.
Mr Stu

Post by Mr Stu »

i said Bentham was one of the best of the current crop of referees this season because he the most consistant, yes he had a bad game at the salford game but of what i have seen, he is better then the rest apart from maybe silverwood.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

Billy Thompson
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

Billy Thompson
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

standofftfield

Post by standofftfield »

Eric Clay
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I feel sorry for them. The oproblems lies with their leader.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
I feel sorry for them. The oproblems lies with their leader.
Why, how do you think he affects them?
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

robjoenz posted:
Every referee has taken a slating on here (possibly not Silverwood yet this season) but without them the game wouldn't take place. What does everyone suggest, we can't play games without them?

I think the hardest thing they'll have to contend with is the speed of the game, full time players generally between 20 and 30 and a referee that is generally over 30 and refereeing as more a hobby than a career. Even then full time referees (Bentham and Klein) cannot train fulltime as they have community development roles (Lancashire and Yorkshire).

So whilst keeping up with the game is hard enough, they have to get into the best position to see the ball and they have to apply split second thinking all at the same time. Not an easy task I wouldn't have thought.
Do you think there's a case for increasing the number of officials then? Something like the NFL?