RL & RU set to merge?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
lionmmark

RL & RU set to merge?

Post by lionmmark »

I read somewhere recently that a merger was a distinct posibility in the near future.
Is anyone else in favour of this now that RU has changed, and become more competetive, and perhaps the better code to watch.
Thoughts please on the proposed merger.
The Black Pearl

Re: RL & RU set to merge?

Post by The Black Pearl »

NO :eh:
Pain is temporary pride is forever
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

lionmmark posted:
I read somewhere recently that a merger was a distinct posibility in the near future.
Is anyone else in favour of this now that RU has changed, and become more competetive, and perhaps the better code to watch.
Never happen in a million years and wouldn't want it to. Can you imagine kick and clap at the JJB
horsey

Post by horsey »

It makes sense for the game of Rugby to move forward, as neither code can keep going for much longer with the lack of support they have.
If you do merge, please insist on keeping to 13 players, as 4 extra chubbies will absolutely ruin our pitch.
Make the JJB Rugby free
The Black Pearl

Re: RL & RU set to mer...

Post by The Black Pearl »

Horsey lets not mention support with the Latics lack of numbers in that department.
horsey posted:
It makes sense for the game of Rugby to move forward, as neither code can keep going for much longer with the lack of support they have.
If you do merge, please insist on keeping to 13 players, as 4 extra chubbies will absolutely ruin our pitch.
:)
Pain is temporary pride is forever
standofftfield

Post by standofftfield »

lionmmark posted:
Did I hear it on the radio this morning that RU are looking to make their scrums un-contested ?

Something in this !!!!!
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

standofftfield posted:
lionmmark posted:
Did I hear it on the radio this morning that RU are looking to make their scrums un-contested ?

Something in this !!!!!
The uncontested scrum thing has come from one doctor at one club that has had a few nasty injuries. Everybody else seems to be distancing themselves from the comment
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

The_Bad_Guy posted:
to be honest with you i like to watch both codes.

although i'll always be a wigan and rugby league fan mainly. i do like a bit of the other code from time to time. i like their contested scrums and the unlimited tackle count, not to mentino the more important role frowards play. its also a tactical game.

however what i think i like about it most is the fact that its a variation of a game i love so much, leauge will always be my favourite but union is ok for a laugh.

so in response to the original post no they shouldnt merge as one of the codes would be lost forever.
which do you think is best? a bad game of league or a good game of union. Personally i think a bad game of league is like union generally , stop start and boring. A good game of union reminds me of league free flowing and fast i.e the all blacks
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

lionmmark posted:
I seriously doubt if you read any such thing.

Is this a poor attempt at a troll?

Dave
jimofwigan

Post by jimofwigan »

DaveO posted:
lionmmark posted:
I seriously doubt if you read any such thing.

Is this a poor attempt at a troll?

Dave
To merge League and union would be like putting a dog and a cat inside a kennel and expecting them to breed. It just will not happen. What we want is a League game that has equal exposure in the press and media as union does. Thats all equality in terms of media cover. But we all know the old school tie still looks on league as the rebel sport so lets not go there