What About Micheal Smith From Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
The Black Pearl

What About Micheal Smith From Hull KR

Post by The Black Pearl »

Just been watching the Hull KR v's Warrington game and was really impressed with Micheal Smith. I think it would be worth an enquiry he has proven superleague ability and is a former Kiwi international. What does anybody else think?
Pain is temporary pride is forever
The Black Pearl

Re: What About Micheal Smi...

Post by The Black Pearl »

He was awesome for Castleford a couple of years ago and he looks like he's still got alot of ability. Maybe lacks a little fitness but he's a big lad who creates problems when he has the ball in his hands.
wgnwrs posted:
played a great game but i havn't seen enough of him
Pain is temporary pride is forever
medlocke

Re: What About Micheal Smith F...

Post by medlocke »

I mentioned his name some time ago, and got told by one or two on here that he was not good enough to play for Wigan, i have to laugh at those very same people who keep defending Lockers every week :eusa4:
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Smith had a great game today down that left hand side. I personally wouldn't want him at Wigan, a bit old too.

I've seen him play a couple of time for HKR at Whitehaven, when things aren't going his sides way he gives away stupid penalties and likes to winge to the referees.
medlocke posted:
I mentioned his name some time ago, and got told by one or two on here that he was not good enough to play for Wigan, i have to laugh at those very same people who keep defending Lockers every week :eusa4:
Those that defend Lockers every week are those that pay attention to his complete game and don't just focus on the errors he makes. Does anyone with SKY want to get the tackling stats, I reckon Sean is probably our top tackler. He's also got a hand in everything good that we do.
stevocod

Post by stevocod »

What player doesn't winge to the referee, given the standard of SL refs. Michael Smith maybe a bit old, but were you one to say that about Craig Smith when he came here, coz he was well worth the time and money spent.

Plus would he be more effective than Hargreaves, i think he would. Scully's on loan i think Hargreaves should be to develop his game.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

stevocod posted:
What player doesn't winge to the referee, given the standard of SL refs. Michael Smith maybe a bit old, but were you one to say that about Craig Smith when he came here, coz he was well worth the time and money spent.

Plus would he be more effective than Hargreaves, i think he would. Scully's on loan i think Hargreaves should be to develop his game.
He winges at the referee to the levels that Lee Briers does, to the extent that I have seen the referee pull him out have a word and penalise him.

I didn't come on this message board when we signed Craig Smith. I was one of those that wanted to keep him though when he left.
stevocod

Post by stevocod »

I think i've seen that with the majority of our players too and the comparison with Craig Smith is that age is no real question when he can perform alot more consistently than so called props like Hargreaves.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

stevocod posted:
I think i've seen that with the majority of our players too and the comparison with Craig Smith is that age is no real question when he can perform alot more consistently than so called props like Hargreaves.
Hargreaves is how old? Props don't really come into true form until they hit 25 or 26. I don't think Michael Smith is consistent enough.

Age is a real issue, I want to see players stay at Wigan for years, not have the majority of the team come and go within 2 or 3 years. We do need some experience, but we have that in the forwards now (e.g. Logan, Fletcher) and we have some youth (e.g. Hargreaves, Prescott, Hansen) and we have players in between (e.g. Hock, O'Loughlin). I don't think Michael Smith would add anything else to our pack.
stevocod

Post by stevocod »

robjoenz posted:
stevocod posted:
Hargreaves is how old? Props don't really come into true form until they hit 25 or 26. I don't think Michael Smith is consistent enough.

Age is a real issue, I want to see players stay at Wigan for years, not have the majority of the team come and go within 2 or 3 years. We do need some experience, but we have that in the forwards now (e.g. Logan, Fletcher) and we have some youth (e.g. Hargreaves, Prescott, Hansen) and we have players in between (e.g. Hock, O'Loughlin). I don't think Michael Smith would add anything else to our pack.
Hock and Lockers are basically inexperienced to the degree of our problems so far. I agree players at Wigan for years, which is where Scully, Hargreaves and Prescott gain their experience while Smith helps us through a transitional period and let's face it, it definetly is right now. :sly:
OAMJSONA

Re: What About Micheal Smith F...

Post by OAMJSONA »

SMITH WOULD BE OK IN THE SHORT TERM, AND COULD MAYBE HELP US STAY UP BUT WE NEED TO LOOK TO THE LONG TERM ESPECIALLY IF WE DO GO DOWN.

Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White