Wigan History # 3: Todays fascinating look at not so long ago...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Wigan History # 3: Todays fascinating look at not so long ago...

Post by ancientnloyal »

Rugby Union Sevens Tournament

In 1996, for the first time in the tournament’s history, a Rugby League side, Wigan, was invited to play. They go on to win the tournament with a resounding 38-15 victory against Wasps

Oh Yes! Inga the Winger et al... get bored of winning in rugby league (as if we can say that now!) and take time out in 1996 to show Wasps and others how to REALLY play Rugby Union. All be it in the Sevens competition, we of course, win. And... we even stuck to a league score of (38), while Wasps buzzed their way to a pathetic union score of 15.

Now, if the Wigan brand went all soft over a hundreed years ago, we'd still be having threads on this message board asking about the Salary Cap..., imagine 15 players in the line-up, not to mention subs, as just think IF union has a salary cap like we do in league... £1.7m seems little to balance a team.

Anyways, back to 1996. I remember Va'inga especially (dont know who against, probably Bath), he came under pressure agaist an opponent on the touchline, then he simply charged at him and shrugged him off with one arm like he was a scouser nicking a pensioners wallet. Those were the days! GLORY! the end of domination by Wigan R.L.F.C. before summer rugby and John Monies 2nd departure.

https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
- psycho -

Re: Wigan History # 3: Todays ...

Post by - psycho - »

im loving these, the first one was fantastic about the term for wigan meaning warrior. great finds! :)
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
#1 warrior princess

Re: Wigan History # 3: Tod...

Post by #1 warrior princess »

- psycho - posted:
im loving these, the first one was fantastic about the term for wigan meaning warrior. great finds! :)
It was me who said Wigan mean't warriors in anglo-saxon, not ANL. He said it mean't settlement!
You can take the girl out of Wigan, but you can't take Wigan out of the girl!
- psycho -

Re: Wigan History # 3: Tod...

Post by - psycho - »

i beg your pardon haha :lol: my bad. good find thoguh top marks! :D
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------