Wire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
chrisJJ

Wire

Post by chrisJJ »

Warrington, what a disgrace.

All that fighting, reminded me of a certain hooker we used to have, terry ... something i forget anyway, Cas didn't let it go they gave a few back.

And D.Scully playing the piece maker, what has happened to him?
To be the best
you have to beat the best
ancientnloyal

Re: Wire

Post by ancientnloyal »

He must have forgotten the Lancashire ways. Fighting is good, reminds me of the Kelvin Skerrett days.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

I can remeber Cullen and Goodway having a good scrap at the wire many years ago. I think Goodway was flat out on the floor and Cullen got sent off. As he ran past Goodway he stood on his hand.Goodway jumped up, chased after him and they had a ding dong. Bring back the good old days !!
pedro

Post by pedro »

was that not Shaun Wayne and Kevin Tamati?
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

pedro posted:
was that not Shaun Wayne and Kevin Tamati?
The one I'm thinking of is definately Goodway and Cullen. Can't remember a Wayne Tamati scrap
pedro

Post by pedro »

Wayne got sent off and Tamati jumped up and they had a great ding dong just at the tunnel
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

pedro posted:
Wayne got sent off and Tamati jumped up and they had a great ding dong just at the tunnel
Sounds like the same incident, maybe age is playing tricks on my mind. Does anyone else remember?
primrose-n-blue

Post by primrose-n-blue »

There was an incident at Wilderspool where Goodway knocked Cullen into tomorrow....He was sent off.
Cullen then helped to his feet saw Goodway heading towards the tunnel...He ran 20 yrds from behind him and smacked the back of Goodways head....Cullen to ended up with a red card too! We still had the penalty!!
:wink: :roll:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Definetly Cullen - Goodway it was a recurring theme of matches they were involved in. I think people started jokingly calling Goodway 'panto' for a while after because the crowd started shouting at Goodway as Cullen ran at him from behind 'ala he's behind you' For those too young. Cullen was a very ordinary player. He started as a centre with no skills/no speed and ended up in the second row. His one 'talent' was thuggery.

Warrington had a few thugs in those days. Rathbone springs to mind. Boyd, who got destroyed at Burnden Park by a young Ian Roberts and his only way out was to split half his mouth open. Roberts being tougher simply had stitches inserted and got on with the job.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

cpwigan posted:
Definetly Cullen - Goodway it was a recurring theme of matches they were involved in. I think people started jokingly calling Goodway 'panto' for a while after because the crowd started shouting at Goodway as Cullen ran at him from behind 'ala he's behind you' For those too young. Cullen was a very ordinary player. He started as a centre with no skills/no speed and ended up in the second row. His one 'talent' was thuggery.

Warrington had a few thugs in those days. Rathbone springs to mind. Boyd, who got destroyed at Burnden Park by a young Ian Roberts and his only way out was to split half his mouth open. Roberts being tougher simply had stitches inserted and got on with the job.
Funny how we all recall players. I always thought of Cullen as a solid pro. Tough uncompromising, no nonsense centre/2nd row, I quite liked him as a player and he is also a good TV pundit.

There are not enough of this media friendly type around in th RL.