No pat for Pat

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan Watcher

No pat for Pat

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Noble is not patting Pat on the back at the moment, do we think this is the end for him at Wigan?

Fujiman

Re: No pat for Pat

Post by Fujiman »

Wigan Watcher posted:
Noble is not patting Pat on the back at the moment, do we think this is the end for him at Wigan?
Did you hear any more about the Hape visit WW?
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Fujiman posted:
Wigan Watcher posted:
Did you hear any more about the Hape visit WW?
I asked how things went and was told he came they talked and he went. Sorry that I can't find out anymore than that. My contact as speculated that they are to have talks with a number of players, they think they are sounding players out.

I also was told that more players have been to the JJB that have slipped through the radar of our forum.

I was wondering if this is legal to talk to players?

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I think that Noble is not afraid to pick the best team available - even if that means upsetting big names at the club.

Richards must be on a decent contract and realistically if he is not likely to get a place then we would we advised to let him go - as we can't afford to waste a 20/20 place or salary cap money. Obviously with Dallas leaving next year we will need another winger - whether this is Richards or not remains to be seen. However rumours have persisteed that his wife is unhappy and that must be a factor too.

I think that DV will be "released" at the end of the year; along with a couple of other players - in his latest interview Noble said that he is planning to bring in more players for next year so space has to be made - I just hope he doesn't let Godwin go.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Matthew posted:
I think that Noble is not afraid to pick the best team available - even if that means upsetting big names at the club.

Richards must be on a decent contract and realistically if he is not likely to get a place then we would we advised to let him go - as we can't afford to waste a 20/20 place or salary cap money. Obviously with Dallas leaving next year we will need another winger - whether this is Richards or not remains to be seen. However rumours have persisteed that his wife is unhappy and that must be a factor too.

I think that DV will be "released" at the end of the year; along with a couple of other players - in his latest interview Noble said that he is planning to bring in more players for next year so space has to be made - I just hope he doesn't let Godwin go.
I agree with you Matthew

Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Wigan Watcher posted:
Matthew posted:

I agree with you Matthew
I lke Goodwin but don't think he is physically big enough for Nobby
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

According to Noble, "Pat is playing in the u21's", "he didnt make the cut"
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Matthew posted:
Unfortunately DV is still in contract next season so we'll be stuck with him and if we do get rid of him I imagine we'd be stuck with paying for a portion of his salary as I'd imagine he'd need to take a paycut to go elsewhere (Widnes?).
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

robjoenz posted:
Matthew posted:
Unfortunately DV is still in contract next season so we'll be stuck with him and if we do get rid of him I imagine we'd be stuck with paying for a portion of his salary as I'd imagine he'd need to take a paycut to go elsewhere (Widnes?).
Not always, plenty of players are moved on to other clubs each year who are still under contract, I've never read of a club paying out the difference if the player moves clubs off season, whether he is under contract or not.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

ChrisA posted:
Not always, plenty of players are moved on to other clubs each year who are still under contract, I've never read of a club paying out the difference if the player moves clubs off season, whether he is under contract or not.
That assumes the player is happy with the wages he is offered at the new club and doesn't want to stay at his old club because the wages are better. His agent is likely to demand he stays at the old club because he'd be on more money. Therefore, the old club may pay a proportion of his wages for the duration of his contract runs out whilst he is at the new club.

This happened when Robbie Fowler left Leeds United for Manchester City. City couldn't afford to match his wages so Leeds were stuck with paying the difference from what he was on.