SKY Commentary Team

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

SKY Commentary Team

Post by cpwigan »

Are they detrimental to the game. I felt watching the Wigan Game last night they were implying Klein was biased in our favour and thus not impartial. The first sin bin was perhaps over zealous, I had no problems with the second. It was a professional foul. You teach junior players to do what Jeffries did, run across the passing line/into the POTB. Stevo genuinely seems to loathe Wigan.

Today, Hull v Salford. He seemed convinced Hull had not scored and yet he often bases his judgements on slow motion replays which can be misleading compared to real time.

I am not even sure Stevo and Hemmings understand the rules. However, they seem to think their word is gospel.
Wigan Watcher

Re: SKY Commentary Team

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Do you not think they sometimes say things to get a responce?

Personally I think they have had their day and should be replaced by a more technical commentary team. They do disrespect players at times and I feel this does a injustice to our sport.

They where good a few years ago but now something new is needed.

Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

mickw posted:
cpwigan posted:
Are they detrimental to the game. I felt watching the Wigan Game last night they were implying Klein was biased in our favour and thus not impartial. The first sin bin was perhaps over zealous, I had no problems with the second. It was a professional foul. You teach junior players to do what Jeffries did, run across the passing line/into the POTB. Stevo genuinely seems to loathe Wigan.they`ve become a laughing stock more of a side show than a commentary team its time to move on to a more proffesional serious presentation they`ve been on to long.the fact that they can`t comment from a neutral perspective just makes them more annoying.
To be honest, I quite like the comedy-duo, controversial presentation of these two. Other sports take themselves far too seriously, one of my big objections to the roundball game is the fact that people talk about it and commentate on it as if it's the most important thing in the whole world, that the fates of entire towns or countries (depending on competition) depends on the result. They drive me mad with that attitude. Stevo, on the other hand, talks rubbish but it's undeniably passionate rubbish. He's really into the sport, and not afraid to call a spade a spade, again compared to football commentators who keep saying some £25m player is unlucky when he's managed to kick the ball 20 metres from the goal instead of being able to justify his salary by scoring, instead of being critical and saying said player is not good.

The BBC goes for serious RL commentary, but unfortunately their lead pairing of French and Saunders display more traits of senility and confusion than anything else. From getting teams and players wrong, to forgetting which code of rugby they are watching, to the annoying "I remember these two teams meeting in the 1924 Challenge Cup quarter final..." type comments that have no relevance to the modern game. They could do a lot worse than bringing Trevor Hunt and/or Jack Dearden into the tv commentary team, they seem to strike a good balance between serious reporting and being forthright with views, criticisms and honesty.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

mickw posted:
Fraggle posted:
mickw posted: To be honest, I quite like the comedy-duo, controversial presentation of these two. Other sports take themselves far too seriously, one of my big objections to the roundball game is the fact that people talk about it and commentate on it as if it's the most important thing in the whole world, that the fates of entire towns or countries (depending on competition) depends on the result. They drive me mad with that attitude. Stevo, on the other hand, talks rubbish but it's undeniably passionate rubbish. He's really into the sport, and not afraid to call a spade a spade, again compared to football commentators who keep saying some £25m player is unlucky when he's managed to kick the ball 20 metres from the goal instead of being able to justify his salary by scoring.

The BBC goes for serious RL commentary, but unfortunately their lead pairing of French and Saunders display more traits of senility and confusion than anything else. From getting teams and players wrong, to forgetting which code of rugby they are watching, to the annoying "I remember these two teams meeting in the 1924 Challenge Cup quarter final..." type comments that have no relevance to the modern game. They could do a lot worse than bringing Trevor Hunt and/or Jack Dearden into the tv commentary team, they seem to strike a good balance between serious reporting and being forthright with views, criticisms and honesty.
the trouble is the neutral newcommer to the game takes it in

I agree with you, your point about neutrals watching the game is the problem with the sky team.

robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
Are they detrimental to the game. I felt watching the Wigan Game last night they were implying Klein was biased in our favour and thus not impartial. The first sin bin was perhaps over zealous, I had no problems with the second. It was a professional foul. You teach junior players to do what Jeffries did, run across the passing line/into the POTB. Stevo genuinely seems to loathe Wigan.
You'll find a lot of fans from a lot of clubs say that about Stevo. He just likes to be controversial, he's an entertainer, he gets people talking about things. He often says one thing when he sees something in real time then changes his mind as it is shown on the screen, he's the big kid in the crowd that goes with what his heart tells him before he thinks it through properly.
Today, Hull v Salford. He seemed convinced Hull had not scored and yet he often bases his judgements on slow motion replays which can be misleading compared to real time.
That's the intention of the video referee. Watching either the slow motion replay or the full speed replay it was a try.
I am not even sure Stevo and Hemmings understand the rules. However, they seem to think their word is gospel
They know the majority of them, Eddie is probably better than Stevo but they both come out with some strange things now and again.

Personally I think they're good. I like Eddie myself, he's usually a very fair minded person.
Martin WWRFL

Post by Martin WWRFL »

I don't like Phil Clarke when he's commentating as it seems he does'nt want us to win everytime their's a decision for us he says it was wrong and he said at the end of first half Wakefield were the better attacking team but they did'nt get the ball.

Next match were on sky listen for the sly digs and comments he makes.
superleague

Post by superleague »

phil clarke is saints through and through
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I have always thought the Clarkes are for the Clarkes and nothing else. Everything they do IMo has an agenda.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

I only see Phil Clarke as a Wiganer, he has said his dad has looked at the situation we are in and said we will not go down, Phil on more than one occasion has slipped up by saying what WE need to do instead of being neutral.

I do believe he is a Wigan fan

eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

eddie and stevo are a joke. surely there are better commentators than them. i wish we had someone like the aussie ones who make the game sound exciting.
IN WANE WE TRUST