SKY Commentary Team

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan Watcher

Re: SKY Commentary Team

Post by Wigan Watcher »

RAVINGWARRIOR posted:
eddie and stevo are a joke. surely there are better commentators than them. i wish we had someone like the aussie ones who make the game sound exciting.
here here!

robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

RAVINGWARRIOR posted:
eddie and stevo are a joke. surely there are better commentators than them. i wish we had someone like the aussie ones who make the game sound exciting.
Phil Gould is just an Australian Stevo. He once said that a certain high 'must be the highest kick ever in history.' If that isn't as daft as Stevo I don't know what is!
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

RAVINGWARRIOR posted:
It could be worse they could sign Ray French. Now he is awful
scully_16

Post by scully_16 »

Stevo annoys me, he always goes on about how much he hates fighting in rugby league and how it ruins the game, when he is one of the dirtiest players ever to play, according to my dad who watched him play for the Penny Panthers.
Jake

Post by Jake »

Fraggle posted:
mickw posted:
cpwigan posted:
Are they detrimental to the game. I felt watching the Wigan Game last night they were implying Klein was biased in our favour and thus not impartial. The first sin bin was perhaps over zealous, I had no problems with the second. It was a professional foul. You teach junior players to do what Jeffries did, run across the passing line/into the POTB. Stevo genuinely seems to loathe Wigan.they`ve become a laughing stock more of a side show than a commentary team its time to move on to a more proffesional serious presentation they`ve been on to long.the fact that they can`t comment from a neutral perspective just makes them more annoying.
To be honest, I quite like the comedy-duo, controversial presentation of these two. Other sports take themselves far too seriously, one of my big objections to the roundball game is the fact that people talk about it and commentate on it as if it's the most important thing in the whole world, that the fates of entire towns or countries (depending on competition) depends on the result. They drive me mad with that attitude. Stevo, on the other hand, talks rubbish but it's undeniably passionate rubbish. He's really into the sport, and not afraid to call a spade a spade, again compared to football commentators who keep saying some £25m player is unlucky when he's managed to kick the ball 20 metres from the goal instead of being able to justify his salary by scoring, instead of being critical and saying said player is not good.

The BBC goes for serious RL commentary, but unfortunately their lead pairing of French and Saunders display more traits of senility and confusion than anything else. From getting teams and players wrong, to forgetting which code of rugby they are watching, to the annoying "I remember these two teams meeting in the 1924 Challenge Cup quarter final..." type comments that have no relevance to the modern game. They could do a lot worse than bringing Trevor Hunt and/or Jack Dearden into the tv commentary team, they seem to strike a good balance between serious reporting and being forthright with views, criticisms and honesty.
I totally agree with your view on the Sky Sports commentating duo they are just a good comedy act,but dedicated to the cause.
The Pearl

Post by The Pearl »

robjoenz posted:
RAVINGWARRIOR posted:
Phil Gould is just an Australian Stevo. He once said that a certain high 'must be the highest kick ever in history.' If that isn't as daft as Stevo I don't know what is!
Yeah but Phil Gould has been involved at the top level more recently than Stevo and has a greater understanding, knowledge and grasp of the game than the 'Great bald one'!

And as for Phil Clarke being a saints fan!!!!!! WHAT?? He makes certain comments to hide his Wigan bias. I think the guy is top drawer.

Although his pre-match analysis before the GB v NZ test last week was the campest thing I've ever seen on a Super League broadcast (if you've taped it then check it out!) :D
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

The Pearl posted:
And as for Phil Clarke being a saints fan!!!!!! WHAT?? He makes certain comments to hide his Wigan bias. I think the guy is top drawer.
He has a genuine love for RL as well as an apparent love for Wigan. He appreicates the good RL that Saints play and comments upon it.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Stevo annoys me intensely at times, but at others he is brilliant. The way he can change his mind about a ruling is amazing.
I'm sure all fans think he hates their team, how often do we hear the "stevo what's the score?" chant on SKY?
You can not argue with the pumpkins love of, or passion for, the game.
Eddie is IMO a good commentator, and usually gets things right as well as reining in some of Stevo's more ludicrous comments by asking him to qualify what he has just said.
They remind me of Les Dawson and Roy Barraclough as Cissie and Ada.
I think Clarkey , as someone else has said, over compensates for his fondness for Wigan by making derogatory comments.
As for the fighting in the game, we all know he loves it, but SKY have to be politically correct and say it's wrong, despite focussing on it and showing replays.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09