John Sharps comments

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Likely_Lad

Re: John Sharps comments

Post by Likely_Lad »

robjoenz posted:
mike binder posted:
...in the first half we got pulled up several times for not standing square at the play the ball, nobby altered that in the 2nd half by at times only having 1 player at the play the ball and the next several yds behind.
haha, that's offside!
Why? I thought it didn't matter as long as they were square?
The poster formerly knows as Wizard_Millward.

I wasn't as fit or strong as before but my two biggest muscles still worked - my heart and my head - Kris Radlinski.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

No you cannot go back to no mans land so to speak. you have to be stood at what is considered the play of the ball. The alternative is to play one marker and simply stand somebody directly behind in the the defensive line 10 metres away.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Likely_Lad posted:
robjoenz posted:
mike binder posted:
...in the first half we got pulled up several times for not standing square at the play the ball, nobby altered that in the 2nd half by at times only having 1 player at the play the ball and the next several yds behind.
haha, that's offside!
Why? I thought it didn't matter as long as they were square?
It's as cpwigan explained it, or more crudely; they must be square and the marker must be able to touch the acting half back from the defending team.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

robjoenz posted:
mike binder posted:
haha, that's offside!
what does it say in the rules is there a minimum and max ,that the players line up for the play the ball????? :conf:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

mike binder posted:
what does it say in the rules is there a minimum and max ,that the players line up for the play the ball????? :conf:
cpwigan & Rob have both just explained that. Either within touching distance (and square)or back 10 metres.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Will he be called before the disciplinary committee for bringing the game into disrepute? He should be.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Alex the Warrior

Post by Alex the Warrior »

The week after Ganson binned two Catalans players after the team committed 7 fouls between them, Huddersfield commit 14 offences at the play the ball without a yellow card. The complaint about the 2 tries is embarrassing. Their try was scored after they hadn't ben penalised for a head high tackle!
From Mission Impossible (1991) to The Great Escape (2006)
Dawber

Post by Dawber »

robjoenz posted:
mike binder posted:
haha, that's offside!
So one plyer makes a tackle and the attacking player gets up and quickly plays the ball, there is only the one player at the play the ball (the guy that has just made the tackle) a defending player comes in to make the tackle does this mean he is off side? i think not, if this was the case the ref would be blowing his whistle every two minutes.
Stop defending the refs Rob, don't forget they do get it wrong at times
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Dawber posted:
robjoenz posted:
mike binder posted:
haha, that's offside!
So one plyer makes a tackle and the attacking player gets up and quickly plays the ball, there is only the one player at the play the ball (the guy that has just made the tackle) a defending player comes in to make the tackle does this mean he is off side? i think not, if this was the case the ref would be blowing his whistle every two minutes.
Stop defending the refs Rob, don't forget they do get it wrong at times
The rule is that the defending team can have up to two players at marker and they must be stood directly one behind the other. Neither of them can back off a couple of yards as was suggested. Everyone else has to retreat 10metres before they can take any further part in the play. The defence doesn have to have any markers if they don't want to, but all defenders not directly in front of the play-the-ball must be the full 10m back.

There is also a rule that the attacking side has to retreat 5m behind the play-the-ball or they are offside (doesn't get broken very often, but I've seen it given on occasion).

I wouldn't defend refs blindly all the time, but criticising decisions before bothering to find out the rules does show what a hard job they have to please the fans...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Mike posted:
There is also a rule that the attacking side has to retreat 5m behind the play-the-ball or they are offside (doesn't get broken very often, but I've seen it given on occasion).
I've got a feeling that one was changed fairly recently, so that now they just need to be behind, not 5m behind. Perhaps Rob can confirm?
I do remember Shaun Edwards being penalised for that once, but can't remember what game it was.