Next seasons fixtures

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Next seasons fixtures

Post by cpwigan »

I have no time for Union that is true. If you knew and understood the history of what essentially has been a conflict you will see it goes much much deeper than simply my rugby is better than yours. Since it's creation, many many individuals connected with Rugby Union have attacked League and attempted to destroy the sport. So no, I do not wash all those decades of abuse and corruption under the carpet.

However, let's get back to what this weekend is supposedly about, promoting and developing the game in Wales. History, tells us time and time again that white elephant grandiose schemes have little or no impact upon development. Vast sums of money frittered away, debacle after debacle and what did we finally learn. Development is about the grassroots. So why in God's name are we going back to the bad old days when we know it does not work.

Most importantly. There are vast amounts of work / huge areas untapped in the heartlands. Travel 8 miles out of Wigan and most people struggle to play rugby league or appreciate it. So we have not even got development right in the heartlands which makes the notion of travelling around the country a folly. If Sportsmatch funding was not being accessed by clubs, you would not see half the coaching clinics / development officer you currently do. So yes money is needed and is in short supply. Your notion that Wigan do not need funds is silly. Every community development activity we have is funded by sponsorship/sportsmatch 50/50.

If we are talking about development. Why Wales. We have a professional club in London, we nearly lost them a few years back. Why not a London weekend? Makes more sense development wise. London is the media centre / biggest city in Britain.

Will student accomodation be available in May ;) Will all accomodation not be charging higher rates on a Bank Holiday weekend? So you met the odd person from a non RL area, can we fill the stadium with 60,000 + of these newcomers? If not what is the point? 250, 500, a 1000. Peanuts.

Income has a direct impact upon salary cap as it is a determining factor. This club cannot afford to turn down the revenue created by a Wigan v Saints fixture. anybody who sits all day in a stadium is sad :) I find the amount of football on Sky offputting as a football watcher. it actually sickens you. I will watch kids playing, academy playing, pro clubs but once in a day is enough.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
I have no time for Union that is true. If you knew and understood the history of what essentially has been a conflict you will see it goes much much deeper than simply my rugby is better than yours. Since it's creation, many many individuals connected with Rugby Union have attacked League and attempted to destroy the sport. So no, I do not wash all those decades of abuse and corruption under the carpet.
I know bits of the history, I have read a few bits and pieces and an interview with Ray French about how he had to lie about his love of league. However, this is how many years ago now? It's in the past where it belongs I do believe. All I see now is bitterness between the older generation of League and Union fans and a bit of banter between the younger generation.
However, let's get back to what this weekend is supposedly about, promoting and developing the game in Wales. History, tells us time and time again that white elephant grandiose schemes have little or no impact upon development. Vast sums of money frittered away, debacle after debacle and what did we finally learn. Development is about the grassroots. So why in God's name are we going back to the bad old days when we know it does not work.
Development is about grassroots, but not just grassroots. You are right that they are vitally important but as are other incentives to develop the sport. Where I live, in Southport, RL isn't very well known and you don't see too many RL shirts in town, should development work be done here? Possibly, Cardiff does boast a much greater population though. Whether it near the heartlands or miles away as long as there is an interest in league then what does it matter?

These grand schemes may appear to be worth little on the surface because there are no Welsh people at the next Wigan game you goto. However, who knows what value they have underneath? Will it plant a seed into a fresh mind? Will a few fans that haven't been for a while recatch the bug? It's the small things that matter possibly more than the massive steps.
If we are talking about development. Why Wales. We have a professional club in London, we nearly lost them a few years back. Why not a London weekend? Makes more sense development wise. London is the media centre / biggest city in Britain.
You ask why Wales, I ask... Why not Wales?

They like their rugby, from what I have read they seem to enjoy their rugby league and I do believe they have a few RL greats that come from that general area. London would be another option, but they have an SL side which the top sides visit anyway. Currently and traditionally they hold the Challenge Cup Final and from other things I have read I believe the London SL club have worked wonders promoting RL at school level.
Will student accomodation be available in May ;) Will all accomodation not be charging higher rates on a Bank Holiday weekend? So you met the odd person from a non RL area, can we fill the stadium with 60,000 + of these newcomers? If not what is the point? 250, 500, a 1000. Peanuts.
Fair point about it being term time and students being there, however, my point still stands, if you hunt around you can find reasonable deals. Also, if you want something bad enough, you'll save for it (Sky dishes on beaten up council houses and the occupants spending two weeks in Tenerife!).
Income has a direct impact upon salary cap as it is a determining factor. This club cannot afford to turn down the revenue created by a Wigan v Saints fixture.
But we would already have a couple of Wigan -v- Saints fixtures (one at their place, one at ours) anyway. I now see your point that we would lose some revenue towards the cap but I can't see that affecting Wigan with the attendances we get and surely the RFL will take this into account.
anybody who sits all day in a stadium is sad I find the amount of football on Sky offputting as a football watcher. it actually sickens you. I will watch kids playing, academy playing, pro clubs but once in a day is enough.
It's a matter of opinion isn't it. I know people at work who have bought foreign satellite packages so they can watch even more premier league football matches so there are people equally as fanatical as me out there.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Yes, I would develop RL in Southport, along the Flyde Coast, in Preston, Blackburn, burnley and so on before going to Wales.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
Yes, I would develop RL in Southport, along the Flyde Coast, in Preston, Blackburn, burnley and so on before going to Wales.
For what reason would you choose those areas ahead of Wales? That's what I don't understand.

(Also, I don't think a 6 header would be best suited to Haig Ave haha.)
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Well no, although as i recall the college next door has some pitches too :) I think an inherent problem is that rugby league is still very localised even within so called RL areas. So first you need to establish a game that is popular and followed throughout Lancashire, throughout Merseyside and so on. When you have mass popular appeal within your core then spread the net. At the moment, League is peripheral / marginal / non existent in Southport, Lytham, St Annes, Blackpool, Preston. We can support these areas far more easily and more quickly. We need that broad mass appeal throughout the North before going to Wales and so forth.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

to be honest could this not have been a one off preseason thing. to move things about all the time makes the league look stupid.

say no too cardiff
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

robjoenz posted:
cpwigan posted:
Income has a direct impact upon salary cap as it is a determining factor. This club cannot afford to turn down the revenue created by a Wigan v Saints fixture.
But we would already have a couple of Wigan -v- Saints fixtures (one at their place, one at ours) anyway. I now see your point that we would lose some revenue towards the cap but I can't see that affecting Wigan with the attendances we get and surely the RFL will take this into account.
Taking off the cherry and white specs, I agree that we should bring in enough money over the season to negate the loss even of a big fixture like this, but I suspect it might have a bigger effect on, say, London or Wakefield if a Wakefield vs Wigan fixture were arranged for Cardiff and they lose out on our usually big travelling support. At London, we're outnumbering the home fans at games so take that crowd away and you've made a big dent on their income for that round of games. Given that half the league was pulled up for salary cap breaches last season, some clarification might be nice as to how this weekend is going to affect incomes, it will definitely have an adverse effect on some clubs.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
ste lord

Post by ste lord »

IMO i am lookin forward to the weekender and have booked my hotel rooms for the weekend,

It will be benificial to clubs so long as the rfl can assure clubs of some sort of financial support package,

Bring on the SL07,

Keep Wigan "Wigan"

mstiggy

Post by mstiggy »

has anyone tried to book a Hotel in Cardiff yet for this? They are nearly all full all ready!! it will be a great weekend of Rugby and very popular, personally I think it will be a very good advert for our sport, agree not to everyones liking and adds expense but no one is forcing anybody to go
Dawber

Post by Dawber »

mstiggy posted:
has anyone tried to book a Hotel in Cardiff yet for this? They are nearly all full all ready!! it will be a great weekend of Rugby and very popular, personally I think it will be a very good advert for our sport, agree not to everyones liking and adds expense but no one is forcing anybody to go
Maybe they are not forcing anyone to go but i will miss out that weekend for the simple fact i will not be able to afford to go (along with a few others no doubt) lets say it is Wigan v Stains i would either be at the JJB or the s--t Hole they call Knowsley Road but unfortunatley for me and the family we will have to watch it on TV.