Orr

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Orr

Post by DaveO »

Quote form Orr:

"Quins have already made me feel really welcome and I have always wanted to play at a club where I know I am a valued team member."

That just about says it all for me. He was a major reason why we stayed in SL and he clearly was not wanted at Wigan.

What a way to run a club!

Dave
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

It's on the breaking news section of the BBC sports home page; so it's a done deal.

Despite the fact that Nobby has saved us from what looked an impossible situation; I still think that this is a mistake.

Orr may not have had the best of times at Wigan - however he still had a year to run on his contract and lets be honest - out of this years team I can easily name half a dozen players who should have been released before him.

If the rumours are to be believed regarding the signing of Withers; then we will have Ashton, Bailey, Withers, McAvoy and the eternally awful DV to cover three positions - surely DV should have been shown the door way before Orr? As, apart from waste salary cap space I fail to see what purpose he serves.

Leuleui has not shown that brightly and is defintely injury prone. With Orr gone, who will cover for Leuleui and Barrett? Are we going to see another half back signing? (apart from Leuleui)
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Matthew posted:
apart from waste salary cap space I fail to see what purpose he serves.
Given the endless speculation about our salary cap situation for next year with the arrival of Barrett et al, is it possible that's the reason why Orr has gone? People were very surprised when he first signed that we took him on such a big contract. Is it the case, perhaps, that he's deemed as being too expensive for next year's team, and that a cheaper replacement has been found allowing us to spend some money elsewhere or perhaps to keep us under the cap? If it is money that's driven this deal, then there's still no excuse for the continued existance of DV, but I can't think of any tactical reasons for ditching a player who was finally looking to have recaptured the form he used to show at Castleford.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Really sad to see him go. It makes no sense to me that we kept him for so long when he was trying to find form, he then finds an excellent vein of form and we move him on.

We now have 2 NEW halfbacks (when we finally announce his replacement) who both have to learn the team structures etc. If one gets injured then we are in a disasturous situation. The only halfback available is Thomas Coyle and he gets bashed about trying to tackle academy players.

Leuleui and Barrett with Orr covering both halfbacks and hooker makes more sense to me than those two and Millard.

we seem to be ageing very rapidly under Nobby. I hope this is only short term.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Danny Orr signed for Wigan on less money than he was offered elsewhere so not sure his salary is a big factor.
MiThor

Post by MiThor »

considering the form he showed in the latter part of the season, I for one hope nobby has not made a blunder in letting Orr go,
if the rumours are to be believed it looks like we are going to get another addition to the ANZ pension fund, considering he is the GB coach, what is he trying to do pass wakefields record of 13 out of the starting 17 unable to play for GB, Have we actaully signed a british player for next season?, McAvoy don't count he's already here
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

MiThor posted:
considering the form he showed in the latter part of the season, I for one hope nobby has not made a blunder in letting Orr go,
if the rumours are to be believed it looks like we are going to get another addition to the ANZ pension fund, considering he is the GB coach, what is he trying to do pass wakefields record of 13 out of the starting 17 unable to play for GB, Have we actaully signed a british player for next season?, McAvoy don't count he's already here
I am glad someone else noticed this.

If the rumoured signings come to pass i.e. Millard, Withers and Lulu WIgan will have ten, yes TEN overseas players in the first team squad next year, they look set to be:

Withers
Barrett
Baily
Lulu
Fletcher
Richards
Feka
DV
Millard
Hansen (who played for NZ so is now also a Kiwi)

As far as I am concerned this is not acceptable. For the GB coach tro assemble a squad containing that little lot is a joke.

Over the past few days I have seen people attempt to justify the various comings and goings sich as the (probable) signing of Millard for Wagga.

If you look at each one individually you can argue the toss one way or the other depending on your opinion but when you look a the collective outcome 10 foreign players is what we end up with.

Wigan are the new Wakefield :angry:

Dave
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am slightly anxious but not in despair about this. All we are seeing at the moment are people leaving - Rads, Dallas, Orr, Moran/Dobson, Logan, Godwin, BH and Tickle (did I miss anyone?) from our first team squad at the start of last year.

In the in-tray we have only Bailey and Barrett (though the word "only" in Barrett's case understates his immense talent). By my reckoning we ought to have space for 5 more players within the 20/20. Until i see all of them, I'll withhold judgement.

For now, I worry about letting Orr, Logan and Godwin go, as they are all talented players, so I'm crossing my fingers like mad we have some talent coming in.

I agree with everyone that wants us to get rid of DV, but I fear we can't, not because we don't want to, but because no one wants him.
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

wel we knew it was gona happen...but i must say i am gutted now to see him go!

made it obvious he wasn't wanted and valued at wigan - sounds about right for wiganrl :(

good luck danny...thanks for the better times!
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer posted:
For now, I worry about letting Orr, Logan and Godwin go, as they are all talented players, so I'm crossing my fingers like mad we have some talent coming in.
But the talent linked to Wigan is less than inspiring in that it is Withers, Millard and Lulu. I for one don't thin Millard and Lulu are better for us then Wagga or Orr. At this rate people will be placing odds on us for the drop once again not the top six.
I agree with everyone that wants us to get rid of DV, but I fear we can't, not because we don't want to, but because no one wants him.
That may well be true but why we are getting rid of other perfectly good players and looking to replace them with either much the same or poorer players is a big concern at the moment.

Dave