Hopeless recruitment

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
FROM A TO B

Re: Hopeless recruitment

Post by FROM A TO B »

jinkin jimmy posted:
FROM A TO B posted:
I know.lets sign 3 more props, 2 wingers and a spare scrum half.
Oh,forgot about this thing they call the salary cap.
We have players on contracts that we have to honour, or pay them off. I would imagine that a paid off contract would come under our cap, so we have to make do with what we can afford until we can offload certain overpaid / under performing players.
Starting the season without Moran has to be a bonus and give the new signings a chance to prove themselves.
We don't know what plan Nobby has for Withers / Ashton, but I think he is better qualified to make these descisions than most of us.
Who are you excluding? :)
Well, obviously Mr Binder and WNAC :lol:
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jaws1 posted:
The doom and gloom brigade are out look at the positive side at the end of last year we were turning over big clubs Leeds .Bradford Hull comes to mind the side is a not a lot different from last year OK we have lost Dallas .Logan.Godwin .Dobson
Orr and Tickle who were slated on this site .
In their places we have got if rumours correct Withers ,Millard and Leu Lei
Barrett and Bailey were already signed along with Danny Hill.If anything the squad is stronger as Withers along with Ashton can cover Full back/Wing/Centre between them
Bailey can play at centre and in the forwards .
I don't see how it is stronger when we are a prop down and with no goal kicker.

The first 17 if the rumours are correct picks itself. After that your guess is as good as mine. If we suffer injuries to say Fielden and Feka we will not be able to compete with just about any side.

The same goes if we lose the two half backs.

You can juggle the permutations of players like Withers and Baily but at the end of the day they are from that same group of 17 players.

Yes they can replace someone in another position in the 17 but the key question is what standard of player do we bring in to take the position they were playing in before having to swap to cover someone else?

Outside the first 17 we look worse off than last season IMO.

Dave
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Dave if you had not cut off the last of my thread i did say that we needed aprop and a goal kicker.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Dave
Salary cap will not allow us to bring in extra cover sorry we will be stuck with the ones we have there ie Goulding Gleeson and Tomkins to cover as well as Mc Avoy and the forwards i mentioned before which you convieniently cut off my thread.Have we not been advocating here on this forum that we should give our youngsters a chance.
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

5 months ago we wer staring relagation in the face brian came in and saved us with wot we had and hes own signings hes said on record it will take him a couple of years to get the team he wants we should be glad we are buying players and not selling them to fit under first division salary cap :exc:
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

jinkin jimmy posted:
Can anyone explain why Leuluai has been tagged as injury prone? He is only 21 and the only injury I am aware of is the one he had this season. If this is what has earned him his reputation I am at a loss. How is he more injury prone than Hock or Lockers?
I've wondered this myself many times. Some people like to re-cycle others comments until they're done to death, or, heaven forbid, they actually think of something off the top of their own heads and post that.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

ChrisA posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:
Can anyone explain why Leuluai has been tagged as injury prone? He is only 21 and the only injury I am aware of is the one he had this season. If this is what has earned him his reputation I am at a loss. How is he more injury prone than Hock or Lockers?
I've wondered this myself many times. Some people like to re-cycle others comments until they're done to death, or, heaven forbid, they actually think of something off the top of their own heads and post that.
That pretty much sums it up - a bit like Lockers' reputation for high penalties, despite all the facts people will still keep recycling the same opinions.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

GeoffN posted:
ChrisA posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:
That pretty much sums it up - a bit like Lockers' reputation for high penalties, despite all the facts people will still keep recycling the same opinions.
For the record, I'm a pro Lockers person, however I can't be bothered getting involved in the repetetive arguments that go on.

Same goes for the current signings, I'm going to wait to see how they all play after settling in, I want to see how they play in a Wigan shirt before I come to a conclusion either way, anything else is just pre-judging them, which can be thrown right back in your face, I would sooner deal with the facts that are dealt to us by performances on the field.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

This is all hopelessly negative. What is it about Wigan that breeds this pessisism and narrow mindedness. At least let's approach the coming year with something approaching an open mind before all the doom and gloom sets in.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

weststand-rich posted:
This is all hopelessly negative. What is it about Wigan that breeds this pessisism and narrow mindedness. At least let's approach the coming year with something approaching an open mind before all the doom and gloom sets in.
That's exactly what I was just trying to say, I want to give each player a chance to prove his worth to the club before I pass any form of judgement either way.