Chris Ashton and Our Centre's

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mano

Re: Chris Ashton and Our C...

Post by mano »

Take it from me Hill as signed for another for next season
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

cpwigan posted:
I would loan Bailey out next season. Play Goulding and get a left centre. We have no need for Bailey in the back row unless he was to play loose forward. We currently have Hock, Hansen, Tomkins, Kavanagh, Mossop, Farrell as a production line of second rows. Likewise, I would release Hill.
oh the inexperience, i can smell it from here.

people moan when we don't have the experience on the park. it's fine putting out young kids, but when we don't pull in results, people point fingers at nobby saying oh why have you done such and such a thing. i sympathise with him. the fans call for young players to play, they do and when we lose, he gets slated for it.

bailey can offer alot for the second row and i feel he should be kept and bulked up for next season.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Psycho, ask yourself has Bailey done anything in the second row when he has been moved there recently? The only possible position for him is loose forward.

Experience / inexperience. Mmm well let me see. We have Hock and Loughlin both experienced. Hansen is no baby. An experienced hooker. Two experienced props. I would sign a third. We are rich in second rowers. Tomkins is ready. He needs the opportunity. I will tell you this Clough is not half the player Tomkins is. Kavanagh needs opportunities. Mossop needs to be playing 21s week in week out. Farrell is getting there.

When you look at our club in its entirety the one position you should be saying NO SIGNINGS is second row.

Mano, if you say it then that is a given for me. Bit sad to hear it. The lad is not bad. He is willing BUT I see no touches of real class / skill. Bad signing IMO in the first place, let alone again.
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

has fielden done anything at prop this season to warrant staying on?

has feka shown an improvement in stamina?

has hock and o'loughlin lived up to their high expectation?

you are judging bailey in the second row, when for the majority of the season he has been at centre. he offers go forward, and i for one wouldn't want to replace fletcher when he leaves with say tomkins or mossop. id rathr we have someone with more experience and someone who is capable of filling flecas boots. i see bailey as that someone.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

When Bailey goes to second row he does nothing. No hard yards. He does not have the speed or power.

When you develop teams you need balance between experience and youth. The 3 players who are ready for the 1st team are Goulding / Tomkins / McIlorum.
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

i disagree, i think he performas alot better than he does at centre and was making some solid yards against warrington up the middle and out wide.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Have to agree with psycho.

Whilst he hasn't set the field alight - Bailey seems one of the few players that it actually means something to play for Wigan. He isn't the fastest or the strongest; however he is good defensively and has actually scored a couple of tries.

Bailey rolls his sleeves up and gets on with it - he played prop when Fielden went off versus stains.

He is one of the few reliable players in our squad - you don't see him making the soul crushing errors like many of our players have. I would be interested to know how many times he has knocked on this season - I bet some of our team knock on more in a match. I would drop most of the team (and nearly all of the backs) before him.

With DV going next year we will need an experienced centre to partner Goulding.

Anyone (decent) we replace him with will be more expensive and will have to settle in. We need a bit of stability in the backs. Plus as he is contracted for another year we would have to pay him off and that would count on the cap

Who have we had at centre for the last few years that is better than him? DV, McAvoy?

"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Shevi 4 life

Post by Shevi 4 life »

cpwigan posted:
I would loan Bailey out next season. Play Goulding and get a left centre. We have no need for Bailey in the back row unless he was to play loose forward. We currently have Hock, Hansen, Tomkins, Kavanagh, Mossop, Farrell as a production line of second rows. Likewise, I would release Hill.
You want wigan to loan out an experinced aussie test star no chance and we do see hard yards from bailey he does what hock does and runs blind to the winger or centre and does make some hard yards also he offloaded yesterday and we scored from it.
There expanding knowsley road from 3 car park spaces to 4
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Do not rate him. Sorry.

Just to add. Bailey is a FORMER test player and a FORMER State of Origin Rep. Former being some years past. Likewise, Fletcher was. I believe this to be a common failing in SL. Signing players on past reputations. The Fletcher that played for Aus / NSW was a very different player to the one we got. Likewise Bailey.
Shevi 4 life

Post by Shevi 4 life »

Bailey was a good centre when he was 24/25 where he had plenty of speed but now he is a bit older he has lost a second or so of pace and is a good second row.
There expanding knowsley road from 3 car park spaces to 4