Chev Walker

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
emperor kel

Re: Chev Walker

Post by emperor kel »

Walker said when he signed for KR that he had not had any contact with any other RL team and was not aware that Wigan had been interested in him, but I thought he had been training with us????
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Whilst there have been rumours about the amount of the fee; it seems unlikely that we will categoric confirmation of the amount.

Whilst Nobby may have wanted Walker; he also wanted Withers and Millard - and those choices didn't exactly go down a bundle with the fans.

It may be a case of Lenagan not wanting Walker, it could be a case of him thinking that Walker was not worth a transfer fee of X thousands pounds or it could be that he has someone else lined up.

Like it or not Walker is not coming to Wigan - and we will probably have to wait deep into the off season to see how our team for next season shapes up
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TWO EYED WARRIOR posted:
As leneghan has not officially been announced then he has every right to block this propsoed move for chav until he sees exactly what has been agreed or discussed between the 2 clubs and whealan isnt gonna splash the cash is he
So if he doesn't know exactly what was agreed how on earth does he know enough to block the deal?

Lenagan either owns the club already or he does not. If he does not he should not be blocking the deal and have no influence.

Why didn't he block the Coley deal? He can't have known enough about that either if he isn't in charge so I would expect no deals at all to go through if he doesn't know enough.

If he does already own it then he will be fully aware of the deal done and given it appears the sticking point was a £100K transfer fee I stand by my original statement, what is the point of having a wealthy owner who won't splash the cash when the coach wants him to?

For years fans have been saying Mo should back off over player signings and now it appears Lenagan has stuck his nose in to block a deal this is OK?
To me i would be asking is Walker worth the £300k transfer fee?
Where has £300K come from? It has been widely reported it was £100K and I certainly doubt HKR are in the business of paying out £300K transfer fees for players do you?
IMO no, hes been out of the game for sometime now and isnt what id call a top class centre, hes more out of the Phil Bailey mold who can cover both centre and 2nd row, which for me isnt the right type of signing we need, an out n out centre who can put these quick wingers we have away is what we require.
We are not discussing how good or not he is but the fact Nobby wanted him has told people on this message board he was signed and Lenagan blocked the deal for a player the coach wanted.

If Mo had done this this place would have exploded.

Dave
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

I'm generally in agreement with DaveO. If the coach wanted Walker then our owner should have backed him to the tune of £100K. :(
consigliere

Post by consigliere »

For years people wanted Mo not to PICK the team.
Thats what people complained about.

Chairmen / Owners Have to be involved in signings, its ultimately their money on the line.

The strangest thing with this is that so many of us were told through many different highly reliable sources that it was all sorted. Walker trained with the players at Edge Hall Road on two different occasions so to say he knew nothing of our interest is farce.

Something changed.
Be that whatever, it will eventually come out.
Till then its just guess work.
www.directeta.com

THE BEST WAY TO FOLLOW WIGAN AWAY
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

consigliere posted:
For years people wanted Mo not to PICK the team.
Thats what people complained about.
If you are suggesting people were only complaining Mo picked the players then I think you need to read the message board archives. A search for "DV" should show you people complained about his signings as well.

Mo has signed players going back decades (e.g. Botica over Blake when Monie wanted Blake) and people have complained about him doing the signings over and over again (conveniently forgetting the good ones he made like Botica).
Chairmen / Owners Have to be involved in signings, its ultimately their money on the line.
Of course they do. The idea all signings are the coaches responsibility alone is naive in my opinion.

However there are two issues here in my opinion:

1. An rich owner not being prepared to stump up £100K for a player.

2. All of a sudden such interference from the owner to this extent being acceptable when if Mo had done it there would have been uproar.

Dave
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Warrior4eva posted:
Sorry to keep this discussion going now that he has gone to Hull Kr but I have been away and wasn't able to post this.

Because I don't want to done for liable i'll keep it short and say that I heard that it was going to cost Wigan in Excess of £300k to bring Chev to Wigan and terms were agreed with the player.

To stop the rumour mill and unrest umongst fans I am advised it was Wigan that pulled out rather than Hull KR out bidding us or Hull KR being a bigger lure as some people keep mentioning.

Anyone heard anything different?

[/i]
Pleased we dropped out, he certainly aint worth that much. I will stick my neck out here again, and say told you so, based on his next seasons performances for Hull KR. Very average player IMO.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Panchitta Marra posted:
[/i]
Pleased we dropped out, he certainly aint worth that much. I will stick my neck out here again, and say told you so, based on his next seasons performances for Hull KR. Very average player IMO.[/quote]

Whether he is any good or not, do you think Lenagan (or whoever it was) was right to overrule Noble?

What happened to "Nobby knows best"?

As to the £300K, the transfer fee is supposed to £100K and that was the supposed sticking block.

If the total deal would cost Wigan £300K that means Walker would have been on £200K wages over three years. That is £67K a year which is about the going rate for an "average" SL player. In fact it is quite cheap for an experienced player of his age.

As such I can see no reason why Noble was not allowed to sign this player and no reason why Legagan would not fund the £100K fee..

Dave
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

DaveO posted:
Panchitta Marra posted:
[/i]
Pleased we dropped out, he certainly aint worth that much. I will stick my neck out here again, and say told you so, based on his next seasons performances for Hull KR. Very average player IMO.
Whether he is any good or not, do you think Lenagan (or whoever it was) was right to overrule Noble?

What happened to "Nobby knows best"?

As to the £300K, the transfer fee is supposed to £100K and that was the supposed sticking block.

If the total deal would cost Wigan £300K that means Walker would have been on £200K wages over three years. That is £67K a year which is about the going rate for an "average" SL player. In fact it is quite cheap for an experienced player of his age.

As such I can see no reason why Noble was not allowed to sign this player and no reason why Legagan would not fund the £100K fee..

Dave[/quote]I totally agree that Nobby should never be overulled in player signing decisions, He should make those decisions himself only in consultation if funds are available to make the signing. My quirk is that for me, Chev Walker is a very overated player, which will hopefully be proven next season. Aye.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TWO EYED WARRIOR posted:
So if he doesn't know exactly what was agreed how on earth does he know enough to block the deal?

Lenagan either owns the club already or he does not. If he does not he should not be blocking the deal and have no influence.
Dave, Leneghan may have blocked the deal going through whilst under the due dilligence, he may have made an offer for the club but whilst this process was going through he may have blocked it until all was complete with the due dilligence, i know i wouldnt authorise any signings until id uneartherd any potential skeletons in the closet
He can't have done that. Any company being taken over must be(and is) allowed to function as normal and do what it sees as the best for itself.

It is always "business as usual" while this process goes on in case the takeover does not go through. Companies do not put a hold on their operations when being taken over.

He would simply not be allowed to call any shots under due diligence because all due diligence means is the buyer gets to look at the books and make their own decision based on their own research as to whether to proceed.

In fact the onus is very much on the buyer to ask the right questions and the seller is under no obligation to disclose anything other than what the law states.

What does not happen is a potential buyer dictating policy to the seller. It simply is not allowed and is not part of due diligence.
We have not announced officially the new owner, everybody is summising it is leneghan until hes officially announced then to me he wont support any deals or bank roll any transfers.
As I said, Lenagan owns it already or he does not. Depending which it is he either has no business dictating things to the club or he has not been prepared to sanction the deal.

Either way we have a situation where Nobby wanted a player and has not got him and the rumour is this is because of interference from above.
What seems to happen at quins is that Tony rea plays a big part in working with the coach and seems to pick up decent signings which seems to me he mediates between coach and chairman and knows how to play the politcal game and dealing with chairmen, so dont be surprised if wigan end up with a director of football!
Joe Lydon no doubt. The well known experienced director of football ????
To me if nobby wants to sign someone he is going to be in limbo until the takeover is fully completed as new owners aint going to make funds available until it is signed sealed and delivered.
Nobby should not be in limbo because the club is either owned by DW or Lenagan - there is no half way house as to who actually owns it. If it is still owned by DW I could see him not being prepared to pay out the transfer fee but I would think less of him for it as £100K is to him (as it is to Lenagan) small change and would show him not to be the true supporter he claims.

However the rumour is that it is Lenagan that has blocked this, not Whelan so my conclusion is Lenagan must already own the club to be in a position to block it
Personally whatever the transfer fee demanded by bath, it is too much money , it has been posted on here previously that wigan should not get into dutch auctions for players as we have fell into this trap before and completely knackered our salary cap for the coming season by buying over priced players on big salaries, for me walker aint suitable for wigan.
Walker was contracted to Bath and so in the same way Wigan got money for Faz Bath were entitled to expect a fee for Walker. The £100K transfer fee, which is supposed to be the reason this did not go through, has nothing to do with the salary cap and there is no suggestion Walker was going to be on mega-bucks at Wigan.

After this season with a four points deduction and having to renegotiate players contracts to fit under the cap I think suggesting the club would put itself in a position of offering silly wages once again is stretching it a bit.

Dave