very worrying only 140k left under the cap

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: very worrying only 140...

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

im sure of the inner working of that defferred payments larc! but as a simple view, if we were 200k over the cap last season then it means that that 200k has to be accounted for i.e really with the players leaving we gained back nearer 400k but minus the 200k we were already over makes us only 200k under?, if that makes sense?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Probably just me but didnt Nobby sound abit down hearted in that interview?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Not really. He came across as proud of his achievements and determined to go forward. I think coaches/players often get bored by the repetitive nature of interviews and often the stupidity of the questions asked. Many of the interviewers have set questions and do not react to what is being said. Instead they continue rhyming off their pre-prepared questions.

:conf: about 140,000. DV, Fletcher et al must have been on more than that. Does it mean existing players are now earning significantly more?
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

cpwigan posted:
:conf: about 140,000. DV, Fletcher et al must have been on more than that. Does it mean existing players are now earning significantly more?
I agree. Unless DV had had a pay cut, he would probably have taken up most of that himself, without even thinking about Fletch, and we've also saved money on the likes of Withers and Millard (assuming Grandad does leave), plus £5.65 from Chris Ashton!

I've said before that I'm sure negotiations for players have been ongoing for a while, and there may well even be players who have already been signed but just not announced yet whilst the ownership of the club was resolved. It may be that Nobby's number already includes players we've not yet been told about which are 99.9% done-deals but just waiting for signing-off by the new owners or the holding company.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

standishwarrior posted:
Hawkeye posted:
Well my hearts just sunk after listening that.

5 players off the wage bill
supposely 200k free
and only 140k left ????

whats going on at all. :(
my thoughts aswell. lenagans mopping up the mess left by doris!
It's a shame that even after he's gone, people are still having a go at Ex-Chairman Mo for his signings policy. The fact is that we have some very expensive players at the club, and expensive players that the fans want to see at Wigan. Barrett and Fielden in particular don't come cheap, and will be making quite significant inroads into our salary cap. ML made a judgement call that those two players on big salaries were worth more than, say, 4 other less-known and less-renowned players on smaller contracts. Was he right? I think most of us are happy to have Barrett at the club, and Fielden certainly played his part in 2006 towards keeping us in Superleague.

ML was far from perfect, but I still can't agree with the constant attacks on his signings policies. Players cost money, top players cost more money, too many "top" players on more money means there's not much left in the pot afterwards.

And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....

[hr]
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Jeez that sounds really bad.

I've got to say i'm stunned beyond belief. How the hell is there only 140k left in the kitty?

The defered payments must really be starting to kick in and i expect Barrett and Fielden are probably on more next season then this(Barrett for sure).

I said earlier i'd be happy with 2 players but what i meant by that was 2 'class' signings and we arn't going to get that for 140k.

It's going to be a long tough season next year and the likes of Hansen, Prescott and Goulding are going to have to take thier games to the next level if we want to compete for the 6. Everyone is strenghning and the league will be ultra hard.

Noble sounded very down in that interview and i can't blame him. His hands seem to be tiesd yet he's doing a fantastic job and a job he hasn't got enough credit for.

As for the 140k we somehow need to stretch it to a fullback and a centre minimum and if possible another prop. It's going to be young players looking for a start in the game or 'unknowns' that we hope are good enough that we will be signing.

Forget the likes of Cooper and Hodgson.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Well i hope and pray Nobby was just going with the flow of that interview and agree about the figures but knowing we have got players lined up.

because if its true and were no nearer to signing players than we were 2 month back 140k to spend on the players we need is simply not enough
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

you can tell by the tone of the interview that 140k is what we have not including anybody who may be signed already.

It doesn't even sound like Leneghan wants to bring anybody in. Noble mentions ahving to try and persuade him we need a couple of players.

I wouldn't hold my breath for any tbh.

Time to see what the table topping u21's side is made of.
wigan/pier

Post by wigan/pier »

Millionaire businessman Ian Lenagan completed his takeover of Wigan and immediately dashed hopes of a spending spree.

Lenagan, who made his fortune by floating his software company on the Stock Exchange in 2000, revealed that coach Brian Noble will have just £140,000 to spend on new players for next season because of salary-cap restrictions that dogged the previous administration.

That does not sound like we have any class signings already lined up...we could end up with a weaker squad than last season...gone DV..Fletch..millard..withers..ashton..in coley not looking as good as I hoped..but only time will tell. :conf:
If we don't ask questions we turn into sheep...and I don't trust the shepherds.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

NICKYKISS posted:
Time to see what the table topping u21's side is made of.
If you look on the club website, the answer is not very much! They're a bit thin on the ground in number...

[hr]