Pryce signs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
tom g

Re: Pryce signs

Post by tom g »

cpwigan posted:
Here's a puzzler. Even though he is huge, I think Pryce might prefer/be better on the wing than at centre.
I think so aswell cpwigan he certainly didn't look bad on the wing in his Bradford days.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan posted:

Here's a puzzler. Even though he is huge, I think Pryce might prefer/be better on the wing than at centre.
What shirt number does he get? 20?

I guess Pryce will be on the wing till Calderwood & Mathers are back, with Richards at fullback, but I feel sorry for Goulding if he loses his starting centre spot when we have a fully fit squad.

Mind you, Pryce is taller (6'6")and heavier (18.5 stone) than most, if not all of our forwards...
vikingstorm

Post by vikingstorm »

I told you this months ago. Infact I was hoping somebody could dig out my origional message telling everybody that fact
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Pryce reminds me of say the Volcano in terms of attitude towards the game. Bradford U21s played ours at Orrell in the end of season playoffs. Just before Ashton came through into the first team and Pryce was like a 1 man team. He kept stepping out of attempted tackles by Sean Gleeson and scored a try by tearing the ball from Ashton 1 v 1 in the in goal area. However, I get the impression Karl is less bold/confident than say Leon.

I do not think this will mean Goulding loses out. Remember Mathers is a gamble. He may not recover fully. If so Richards at FB and Pryce at left wing becomes an option. I presume the players least pleased will be Colbon and Stanton.
Glynola

Post by Glynola »

cpwigan posted:
Pryce reminds me of say the Volcano in terms of attitude towards the game. Bradford U21s played ours at Orrell in the end of season playoffs. Just before Ashton came through into the first team and Pryce was like a 1 man team. He kept stepping out of attempted tackles by Sean Gleeson and scored a try by tearing the ball from Ashton 1 v 1 in the in goal area. However, I get the impression Karl is less bold/confident than say Leon.

I do not think this will mean Goulding loses out. Remember Mathers is a gamble. He may not recover fully. If so Richards at FB and Pryce at left wing becomes an option. I presume the players least pleased will be Colbon and Stanton.
The decision to give Colbon a contract is starting to look like a strange one

Pleased with the Pryce signing, regardless of what his attitude/laziness is, he will guarantee tries - as evidenced from his Bradford playing record.
Everything they do is so dramatic and flamboyant. It just makes me want to set myself on fire!
standishwarrior

Post by standishwarrior »

Glynola posted:
cpwigan posted:

The decision to give Colbon a contract is starting to look like a strange one

Pleased with the Pryce signing, regardless of what his attitude/laziness is, he will guarantee tries - as evidenced from his Bradford playing record.
why? he did nothing wrong last season and deserved the year extension. also he'l provide needed cover in the backs
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

Karl Pryce is just the sort of player Wigan need in the squad. He can cover a lot of positions and his is still young.

Excellent signing :D
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

God posted:
To be honest nobody sould be unpleased with regards to the squad, it adds steel and strength in depth.
And if i was on the fringes of the squad i would go balls out to impress making me a better player.
I couldn't agree more. There've been too many young players at Wigan in recent years ready to take their ball home for the slightest reason.

No-one in RL has a divine right to a first-team shirt. The onus is on the individual to go out and earn that shirt.

That was the rule in my day, and it applies just as much now, if not more.
tom g

Post by tom g »

Pryce is a good all round player and like his brother could play more than one position, possibly even in the forwards.Regards to his attitude,he is only 21 now so he could have only been 19 or so when he was at Bradford.I honestly believe that he would not be the only 19 year old player to have issues over attitude (Chris Ashton comes to mind) and hopefully he will have matured a bit since then.
Nine

Post by Nine »

Brilliant, I'm well chuffed by that. The lad's big, strong, fast and good ball skills. No need to worry about other players - a SL season being what it is you're always going to have the shuffle your squad around. And competition for places is good.

I'm already picturing Pryce smashing through the like of Gardner and Gidley on the wing/in the centres! :cool:
Squad number 18!