Team Selection - Wild in - Tickle out ?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
robjoenz

Re: Team Selection - Wild ...

Post by robjoenz »

wigan_babe_13 posted:
I think that Wildy plays a lot better in his natural position of second-row where he can get stuck in a bit more. I think he is a bit hesitant in the centres and he sometimes can't decide whether to run himself or pass to his winger and it leaves him a bit slow and makes him look lazy...even though he is far from it! I think we would see a better Wildy if he is given a regular spot in the second-row. I would pick the following team for Huddersfield:

Rads, Aspi, Locky, Brown, Dallas, Orr, Robinson, C.Smith, Tez N, Pongia, Cass, Wildy, Faz

Hock, Tez O, Tickle, M.Smith
Agree, Wild did look uncertain at what to do.

Not so sure about what to do with Lockers. Didn't seem that present the other night, someone suggested to me that he might be in awe of Farrell. Maybe he'd be best in the centres.

I think I'd have Wild as a replacement and Tickle on the pitch myself. Hock has been quiet this season so far, so I'd have him on the bench too.
wolftown warrior

Post by wolftown warrior »

sean is immense at the moment.. may not have been one of his better attacking displays but his tackling was fantstic fiday night..

& danny tickle should be in, week in week out.. he is superb for us 9 times out of ten.. the only problem is where to accomodate everyone!!

& personally i like hock.. has a good go forward & again his tackling is ravenous.. / sometimes maybe to much!! LOL

JUKESAYS

Post by JUKESAYS »

So basically after disagreeing earlier you now say play o,loughlin at centre,put tickle in the second row with Wild where? On the Bench.
As I was saying earlier O,loughlin is a far better centre than Wild & Tickle has been one of the top performers this season.
It seems to me that most people agree on this and to take it one step further with a fully fit squad ( or if we had one pretty close to that) Wild wouldnt be in the first 17.
This leads me onto my main concern and most people I speak to are all in agreement that it seems strange that we let Johnson,Briscoe go who can play in a various number of positions (including 3/4s) and that is where we are (and where at the start of the season before any injuries) and yet keep Wild who at best wouldnt get into the starting 17 and looks out of place when required to play out of position.
We are currrently carrying approx 9 players who can play in the back 3 yet we only have one legitimate person to cover the threequarters , Kevin Brown.
I personally think a poor decision in squad building.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

JUKESAYS posted:
This leads me onto my main concern and most people I speak to are all in agreement that it seems strange that we let Johnson,Briscoe go who can play in a various number of positions (including 3/4s) and that is where we are (and where at the start of the season before any injuries) and yet keep Wild who at best wouldnt get into the starting 17 and looks out of place when required to play out of position.
We are currrently carrying approx 9 players who can play in the back 3 yet we only have one legitimate person to cover the threequarters , Kevin Brown.
IIRC the reason we had to let Briscoe go was because the 20/20 rule had become a 20/20/20 rule with something about players reaching 20 first team appearances. Whatever that was all about, he'd reached or almost reached his 20 games and we couldn't accommodate him beyond that point. Or some such thing. Can't comment on the reason for dropping PJ, was he out of contract maybe? Wild was still under contract so if there was a choice one or the other then the out of contract player goes.

Squad building seems to becoming increasingly difficult as much because of the salary cap than anything else. The club can't take all the blame!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
mario

Post by mario »

JUKESAYS posted:
So basically after disagreeing earlier you now say play o,loughlin at centre,put tickle in the second row with Wild where? On the Bench.
As I was saying earlier O,loughlin is a far better centre than Wild & Tickle has been one of the top performers this season.
It seems to me that most people agree on this and to take it one step further with a fully fit squad ( or if we had one pretty close to that) Wild wouldnt be in the first 17.
with a fully fit squad Wild would'nt be the only one missing would he? Going off the first 17 there would be no Pongia ,Hock,Brown or Wild. The only bad decision in squad building was not getting rid of Lam. he's been a great player ,but what has he got left at the expense of Johnson and Briscoe?