Mathers' suspension and his contract?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ChrisA

Re: Mathers' suspension and hi...

Post by ChrisA »

consigliere wrote:If you read my post you would see that I am saying it is unfair to compare him to Rads.

they are two very different players.

Defensively Rads was virtually untouchable but there are other fullbacks who offered more in attack than he did. It all depends what you want to see from your #1.

Mathers is not the problem in our team and that is a fact.
You are very right, they are different players. However, I would always take a rock soild fullback in defence, and sacrifice a good offensive game. With Mathers, it's the eact opposite.

Hampson was never afraid to throw himself in, neither was Botica, or Connolly, and especially Rads.

Now before you jump all over me saying he's only played 3 or 4 games or whatever. My opinion is not based on him in a Wigan shirt. This is what I thought of the guy at Leeds, and I was very surprised he was signed by an Aussie club.

He will improve in attack, and to an extent hew will in defence. But he will never be a defensive fullback, not in a million years. Sorry to say it, that isn't good enough you need rounded players, especially when you're the last line of defence. If I was playing, I wouldn't be confident if they broke our line.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

I don't compare him to Rads, I compare him to Ashton, and I don't think Mathers is as good. He's about the same in defence, and doesn't contribute as much as Ashton did in attack.
pedro

Post by pedro »

100% agree Geoff, I still say to my dad when theres a half break "ashton would have been there" and Mathers is 10 yards behind play