Mike Gregory????

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
primrose-n-blue

Re: Mike Gregory????

Post by primrose-n-blue »

Hold steadfast in faith with Greg. In ten years at Warrington, when he could have easily gone to Wigan, he never took a backward step and even guilded GB to a ashes win in Oz. He took on the mantle(which you all begged Maurice to give him) of what in effect isn't his team and perhaps over achieved by getting you to a RL final, but knowing the modesty of Greg, he wouldn't except that comment. By comparison, it took Cullen one religation battle and almost two years to get us this far and nobody here lost the faith. We still sing, chant and bang drums when were down and out! If you win nothing and even miss out on a play-off place (and trust me, it doesn't hurt all that bad) its not necessarily a failure when your going through a re-building programme. still give your team and Greg the support of you all. Sing your hearts out and no sneakin-out early, you know who you are that do that famous Wigan walk!
Welski

Post by Welski »

Talking of us always starting like this I think I posted somewhere that the last time Faz (and one or two of the experienced players came back) it upset the team for a while and I hoped it wouldn't happen this time. I don't think we played badly against Leeds but by all accounts we were useless last outing -when Faz returned (although he apparently played well).More than most he does often seem to have a temporarily detrimental effect on the team on his comebacks probably because of his importance as skipper and rock that success has been built upon over the years.
Give us a couple of games with a settled side and watch us go !! :roll: :D

And whilst I think it would be foolish to say the least I have to agree with DaveO a few more defeats and it will be the same old story! :angry:
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
warriors

Post by warriors »

Welski posted:
Talking of us always starting like this I think I posted somewhere that the last time Faz (and one or two of the experienced players came back) it upset the team for a while and I hoped it wouldn't happen this time. I don't think we played badly against Leeds but by all accounts we were useless last outing -when Faz returned (although he apparently played well).More than most he does often seem to have a temporarily detrimental effect on the team on his comebacks probably because of his importance as skipper and rock that success has been built upon over the years.
Give us a couple of games with a settled side and watch us go !! :roll: :D

And whilst I think it would be foolish to say the least I have to agree with DaveO a few more defeats and it will be the same old story! :angry:
Is it that couch from Australia, that might be the next Wigan couch? I remember his name.

I red it up in the rugby league news paper. Saying something about lynsey ???????? storming out of somewhere, coz of how they played. An they might have a new couch from Australia. An get rid of Mike. People have been saying that for ages, so i dont no if that will happen.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Is it that couch from Australia, that might be the next Wigan couch? I remember his name.

I red it up in the rugby league news paper. Saying something about lynsey ???????? storming out of somewhere, coz of how they played. An they might have a new couch from Australia. An get rid of Mike. People have been saying that for ages, so i dont no if that will happen.
It's Chris Anderson the Aussie coach and the coach that was sacked from Cronulla Sharks where Stuart Raper is now. Lindsay is known for being impatient and getting new coaches in after a few losses. I really hope he doesn't do this with Greg. He hasn't had any kind of team to play around with this year yet, at Hudds we played our 'only' 16 with Bob Beswick from the academy. Like Primrose said you've got to stick behind your coach and back him, you can't just keep throwing your toys out the pram everytime something goes wrong.

I think we ought to sing our appreciation for Greg on Friday afternoon, so he knows we're behind him. Any suggestions for songs???
Rij

Post by Rij »

I think getting rid of Gregory is the best thing Wigan can do. Don't get me wrong I like the man but I can't help feeling we are a bit tactically naïve when our best players are not there. Gregory was lucky last year that he took over on a crest of a wave with a lot of good young players, I think we need a really experienced Aussie who can take us to the next level because at the moment we are miles behind Bradford and I can see us getting battered at Saints on Friday.
Either that or we pinch Alex Murphy from Leigh !!
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

i went to bradford and leeds and really enjoyed the games very entertaining even though we lost.you could see the lads where playing there hearts out.iv'e no idea what went on at huddersfield the lads didnt want to know.the whole team need stability they need to learn how to play for each other and sacking the coach wont help. the only thing to do is let this blip run its course and we will come out the other side better for it.lets not get negative failure is hard to accept when your team has been so succsefull in the past but we will be succsesfull again and the glory days will return have faith!!
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
warriors

Post by warriors »

I no he got sacked. But if he got sacked then, why do we wont him? I dont no if we wont to get rid of Mike? Coz i have only bin a fan for 1year. Some people say get rid an some people dont.

If anyone could choose which coach, Wigan should have, who would it be? I have no idea.

I enjoy watching all of the Wigan games. Even other teams. I will still go to as many games as i can, even if we keep on losein. Which i hope we wont.

Thanks for the information rob.
Warrior Wills

Post by Warrior Wills »

Rij,

I kind of agree with you – for once!!

But, I do think the players that are currently in team need to take a good long look at themselves. Mike Gregory or any other coach for that matter is helpless once the player crosses the whitewash.

At the end of the day Wigan fielded over 9 international players on Sunday. They certainly didn’t play like internationals. They let the fans down, they also let themselves down.

I do however feel that there is a lack of experience within the coaching dept. But as for nicking Murphy from the lobby gobblers, I think that is a bit too much experience.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Rij posted:
Gregory was lucky last year that he took over on a crest of a wave with a lot of good young players, I think we need a really experienced Aussie who can take us to the next level because at the moment we are miles behind Bradford and I can see us getting battered at Saints on Friday.
Either that or we pinch Alex Murphy from Leigh !!
I'm not at all sure what you mean by "crest of a wave". I've always taken that phrase to mean a situation which is going well, and that certainly wasn't the case when Mike Gregory took over. Yes, he had good young players (the same young players who are in the team now), but the reason Raper went is because the results were not good enough. The team was not playing well with rumours that the players and coach did not get on, but bringing Mike Gregory in seemed to improve the situation.

To say he is naive is perhaps a bit unfair, he did oversee the first series defeat of the Australian U21's team in recent memory so he can't be that bad. I suspect our young players are just being overused with no chance for them to assess their play and make adjustments, they are being asked to play week-in, week-out in the highest level of the game. 12 months ago they would all have expected a couple of games then time back in the U21's or U18's or whatever it is to hone their skills. They don't have that now, and perhaps that's taking it's toll by forcing us to play people who are still not quite ready for full-time Superleague.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
scrummyck

Post by scrummyck »

:D he is doing a cracking job but the players need to take a look at themselves and whether they deserve the cherry and white jersey