Best match ever...?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Onebigfeka

Re: Best match ever...?

Post by Onebigfeka »

The last lancashire cup final at stains we won frano scored the points :D
24hrs in a day
24 cans in a case
coincidence?
i think not
LooseHead

Post by LooseHead »

One that sticks in my memory was vs Wire at Central Park in the old style end of season premiership (i'm guessing about 1990?) when we were about 16 points down with 15 mins to go and Bobbie goulding set up 4 tries in the last quarter hour for us to win.

Best two for me though have to be Murrayfield 2002, or Manly in the World Club Challenge.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

The one where we beat Bradford by 14 points to something, it was peeing down all game, majority of points came form kicks and drop goals, we starved the Bulls of possesion in the seconds half with a load of drop goals courtesy of Captain Fantastic, twas an old school game of rugby if ever i saw one
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

best matches I have witnessed being a wiganer

1. Challenge cup final 2002! Great performance! and even better that it was against that scum!

2. Ill always love the leeds game in the playoffs when tickle dropped that goal! mike gregorys barmy army! and doing the conga on the west terrace!

3. Bradford ive got 2 braford games! the obvious one last year but also the one when we scored in the last minute at home when frank was coach!
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

Would definately have to be the 1985 final.....Classic, with some of the best players to grace the game playing, and some of the greatest Wembly tries!!! And a win!!

Matt
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

mickw wrote:mine was the quarter final of the challange cup 1984 at knowsley rd we won 17-8 tries from mark cannon and pengy,it was the day the green shoots of recovery broke through the soil, we were going places and they were exiting times.
Great moment Mick. Saints full expected to win. Real mudbath as I recall. Saints got ripped to pieces post match by their fans and the local press. I think they might have even issued an apology in the next home programme.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I'd also like to add a Challenge Cup match at Halifax Thrum Hall in the snow. I think we edged past them with a Lydon drop goal (correct me if im wrong). I will always remember arriving early and sitting in the car for about an hour on some side street then we found a newsagent that sold pasties (microwaved) - best pasty i'd ever tasted, anyhoo... The game was nervewracking - not a classic but I enjoyed the day... My abiding memory was of a Wigan bloke, cigarette in mouth, stonewash denim jeans and a wigan away top only, his arms were red raw and couldn't believe he said he felt warm. He is dead now.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
fitzy

Post by fitzy »

Weren't that the game where joe landed the longest ever drop goal cp?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

fitzy wrote:Weren't that the game where joe landed the longest ever drop goal cp?
No that was the CC Semi at Maine Road. Good game though. Waving inflatable light bulbs around was tad embarassing though:)
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

One of my personal favourites was the victory over Saints in the Challenge Cup semi final at Old Trafford in 1990.

If I remember correctly we scored in the last minute or so to break their hearts.

Priceless :lol: