WHATEVER HAPPENED TO;

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
kirkamania

Re: WHATEVER HAPPENED TO;

Post by kirkamania »

shawcross da warrior wrote:there arnt many around in the NRL either to be honest
i can think of quite a few 'flying wingers' meself
LORENZO

Post by LORENZO »

Question to those who maintain the stats.

Just how many pure wingers tries have Wigan scored in the last couple of seasons. (excluding kicks)??
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

pedro wrote:Have to disagree....you need a good centre for a good winger. They are still around but do not get the service to be noticed.

Lyon - Albert
Senior - Donald

Richards has scored a lot and has had a good centre next to him in Carmont. Calders has not had 1 good centre in his time at Wigan.
Vainikolo/ Hape
148 tries in 150 games is a bit special by any standard.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

exile in Tiger country wrote:
pedro wrote:Have to disagree....you need a good centre for a good winger. They are still around but do not get the service to be noticed.

Lyon - Albert
Senior - Donald

Richards has scored a lot and has had a good centre next to him in Carmont. Calders has not had 1 good centre in his time at Wigan.
Vainikolo/ Hape
148 tries in 150 games is a bit special by any standard.
Beat me to it, although Vainikolo would have been great whoever his centre was. That combination of strength, size & speed is very rare.
pedro

Post by pedro »

mickw wrote:
pedro wrote: Have to disagree....you need a good centre for a good winger. They are still around but do not get the service to be noticed.

Lyon - Albert
Senior - Donald

i don`t remember pat going on the outside ever, his tries come from kicks and general support play,when he gets a chance on the outside he steps in.don`t know the stats but he`s probably scored more from fullback than wing.albert and donald are both better all round players than calders .he played in a good side at leeds and did`nt get retained and at wigan his form has showed why.
you dont need to go on the outside with a good centre as they create the space for you.

Richards ddint look slow against Cats in both the last 2 games over there as they couldnt get him and I remeber against Bradford he kept up with Ashton. When he gets going he is fast.

Sorry if i missed out the Dulls partnership.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Oat is not bad from short distance. Some of his tries came from Trent cut out passes etc and I think Carmont put him in for some. However, as you say. Many do come from kicks.

Must confess I know he has his faults but I enjoy watching Penny play when he is put into space.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

mickw wrote:
pedro wrote: Have to disagree....you need a good centre for a good winger. They are still around but do not get the service to be noticed.

Lyon - Albert
Senior - Donald

i don`t remember pat going on the outside ever, his tries come from kicks and general support play,when he gets a chance on the outside he steps in.don`t know the stats but he`s probably scored more from fullback than wing.albert and donald are both better all round players than calders .he played in a good side at leeds and did`nt get retained and at wigan his form has showed why.
You can add Gidley and Gardner to Pedros list. If there ever was an average winger who benefited from a good centre its Gardner.

As to wingers not going on the outside I think people are generalising too much. Penny from Wire does it. He can do it because he has the raw pace. Once of the best tries I have seen this season was when Wire lost to Saints in the challenger cup and Wire scored a try started behind their own try line. The ball quickly found its way to Penny who beat his man on the outside no problem - because he was fast.

Richards isn't that fast but I think you will find he scores more tries on the wing than at full back. I think its one reason he isn't a great full back.

Dave
pedro

Post by pedro »

Didnt want to add Gardner as Lyon made him look good also.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

DaveO wrote: I'd say Dallas was capable of it but had he been in this current team he'd be no better perceived than Calderwood IMO.

Dave
I'm not sure about that Dave. For me one of Dallas strengths was his hard hitting anything for the team mentality. Noble would have used him scooting from dummy half like a battering ram on kick returns. Didn't Millward do something similar?

I met him after he retired from Wigan at Mike Gregs testomonial game and chatted with him for about 10 minutes about Wigan and rugby in general. I said to him I always felt he would have done anything for the team and stepped up as prop if needed. He said that was one of the best compliments he'd ever been paid.

I can feel that piece of grit in the corner of my eye now...............
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

All the names given are excuses. Good wingers never needed a good centre to make them appear better than they were.

Brett Dallas is someones quote on this thread, yet how many quality centres did he have inside him during his Wigan career?

A good winger needs to be selfish, with a desire to score every time he is in possession (often following the ball). None of Wigan's recent wingers do this. They stick like glue to the wing waiting for non existant passes, perform lamely and often lazily with the performances from the "poor centres" used an excuse.
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll: